Asha Arida

How do I rotate a prim or linkset along an axis that is not the center?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rotating a prim along the X, Y, or Z axis is easy. My question is how do you rotate a prim along a non-standard axis? An example I'm thinking of might be a wing flapping or a door swinging open. These do not rotate along the center but instead the edge of the prim.

I imagine there's a fair amount of math involved, and if so what is it? Or is there an easier way to do this that I'm just not seeing?

It's all explained here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Rotation#Rotating_Vectors

There's also a very good tutorial by Grandma Bates at SLU http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/tutorials/62479-introduction-rotations-translations-rotation-tutorial.html

So this, for example, is how  I might script a door if, for some reason, I didn't want to path-cut it (works in linked or unlinked prims):    You would need, of course, to play round with the offset and swing if you wanted to rotate it round a different axis.

integer intSwing =90;rotation rotSwing;vector vOffset;default{    state_entry()    {       rotSwing = llEuler2Rot(<0.0,0.0,(float)intSwing>*DEG_TO_RAD);  //90 degress on the z axis       vector size = llGetScale();       vOffset = <(size.x*-0.5),(size.y*-0.5),0.0>;//open away from someone standing in front of face 2 -- that is, in front of the prim -- hinged on the left.    }    touch_start(integer total_number)    {         list l = llGetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,PRIM_ROT_LOCAL]);         vector v = llList2Vector(l,0);         rotation r = llList2Rot(l,1);         llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,v+(vOffset-vOffset * rotSwing)*r,         PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,rotSwing*r]);         rotSwing.s*=-1;             }}

• Thanks 1

I'm going to have to dig through this and try to make sense of it; I like to think I'm pretty compitent but this seems complex. Thank you for the links.

If the prim is of type box or cylinder you can make it flexible.   That moves the rotation to the edge, and allows it to be moved smoothly by the X, Y, and Z flexi parameters.  Keep softness at 0 if you want the object to move without bending.

It looks to me like a typo error on this line of the script  ?

llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,v+( * rotSwing)*r,         PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,rotSwing*r]);

Operator precedence.

The product will be calculated first so the line equation works as "(vOffset - (vOffset * rotSwing))" - which is why I always use explicit parenthesis to avoid (even more) confusion.

On 1/21/2013 at 5:56 PM, Innula Zenovka said:

It's all explained here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Rotation#Rotating_Vectors

There's also a very good tutorial by Grandma Bates at SLU http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/tutorials/62479-introduction-rotations-translations-rotation-tutorial.html

So this, for example, is how  I might script a door if, for some reason, I didn't want to path-cut it (works in linked or unlinked prims):    You would need, of course, to play round with the offset and swing if you wanted to rotate it round a different axis.

Argh.. the migration to the new IPS forums has messed up my script's formatting

Here is the corrected version:

integer intSwing =90;
rotation rotSwing;
vector vOffset;

default{    

state_entry(){
	       rotSwing = llEuler2Rot(<0.0,0.0,(float)intSwing>*DEG_TO_RAD);  //90 degrees on the z axis       
	       vector size = llGetScale();       
	       vOffset = <(size.x*-0.5),(size.y*-0.5),0.0>;//open away from someone standing in front of face 2 -- that is, in front of the prim -- hinged on the left.    
       }    

touch_start(integer total_number){
			list l = llGetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,PRIM_ROT_LOCAL]);
			vector v = llList2Vector(l,0);
			rotation r = llList2Rot(l,1);
			llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,v+(vOffset-vOffset * rotSwing)*r,PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,rotSwing*r]);

rotSwing.s*=-1;             
		}
}

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2017 at 10:28 AM, Innula Zenovka said:

Argh.. the migration to the new IPS forums has messed up my script's formatting

Here is the corrected version:

integer intSwing =90;
rotation rotSwing;
vector vOffset;

default{    

state_entry(){
	       rotSwing = llEuler2Rot(<0.0,0.0,(float)intSwing>*DEG_TO_RAD);  //90 degrees on the z axis       
	       vector size = llGetScale();       
	       vOffset = <(size.x*-0.5),(size.y*-0.5),0.0>;//open away from someone standing in front of face 2 -- that is, in front of the prim -- hinged on the left.    
       }    

touch_start(integer total_number){
			list l = llGetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,PRIM_ROT_LOCAL]);
			vector v = llList2Vector(l,0);
			rotation r = llList2Rot(l,1);
			llSetPrimitiveParams([PRIM_POS_LOCAL,v+(vOffset-vOffset * rotSwing)*r,PRIM_ROT_LOCAL,rotSwing*r]);

rotSwing.s*=-1;             
		}
}

How do I modify this script so that the door is hinged on the left instead of the right, when facing the door? Appreciate any help, I don't have experience with this.

Thanks.

Look at the math here....

Try just changing v + (vOffset - vOffset * rotSwing) * r   to   v - (vOffset - vOffset * rotSwing) * r

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Look at the math here....

Try just changing v + (vOffset - vOffset * rotSwing) * r   to   v - (vOffset - vOffset * rotSwing) * r

Thank you :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1062 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.