Is It Me Or Is Lots Of Sims Losing Traffic/People?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm bored tonight, I figured I'll check out the Second Life forums, and I have been here about 4 years here in SL, never really checked these forums out much and that's odd because I am big into reading forums and such and YES I KNOW, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OBVIOUS QUESTION IMPLIED IN THE SUBJECT TITLE but anyhow,  have you seen a change in traffic at places you hang out at?

For example, I used to go to SDI Beach, and Bahamas Swingers club allot just to name 2 places... They have lost allot of people, or is people just quitting Second Life? I never clean my friends list, I have some odd moral reasons I guess,  but I do notice that not many of my friends are online much anymore, some never and I used to have about 100 online a day, now it's about  30 friends of mine.

I am bringing my friends list up because I don't see many people at the sims I go to, but I am comparing this to my friends because I am just wondering if it's due to people losing interest of SL.

Oh and a second question while we are at it... Does anyone know the average time someone plays SL before they stop playing or lose interest? I'm sure somewhere might have a small stat sheet on that or the lindens may have a statistic on it.

Its happening. Not only is because many sims keep a simple routine. Beside is the fails in the function of the viewers at cause of lag and the use of the mesh objects. Other factor are the constant fails of connection caused by works of mantaince of the servers of SL. Simply are a torture and the consequences can last for all a weekend. A change of philosophy consideratin g more the needs of the users and sims more creativve could be the answer

mew mew ma mew pew :matte-motes-bashful:

Maybe its there rules, most sims have insane rules. I have stopped going to a lot of sims due to hypocritical rules enforced by big heads.  Even Bahamas, you can get ejected for wearing a tail. 

Personally those sims deserve to lose there traffic for the most part.

Simple answer...yes. The numbers are down. If you look at my last post, I think a big reason is that the influx of new arrivals is slowing do to Bad Linden changes. So the influx is not keeping up with the out flux

I don't agree that the functionality of Second Life is the reason. As it has always had problems and continued to grow despite the fact. But I have to point out that Second Life has very few crashes and virtually no lag if you are on a higher end computer. My friends and I all work for a living with our computers, so we have very over the top model computers. Lag and crashes never happen for us. 

Solution: I think eventually computer prices will get affordable enough for everyone to be in Second Life with the lag free experience that only folks with $2000 thousand dollar and up computers; which is currently needed now for that type of crash and lag free S.L. reality. 

But glitches, like the new right click auto delete effect us all. High end computer or not. But I don't think that is the cause on its own for less log-ins. Just a few years ago the log in numbers were growing. I hate to point this out..but the new CEO came in with his "Video Game" ideology for S.L. and it has been shrinking ever since. Yes, S.L. has games in it...but it is not a game.

I have seen a lot of my friends fall by the wayside in the past few years. But recently have seen some come back in world. Most of the reasons why they left SL was affordability. The economy tanked and it had a residual affect on many residents causing them to chose from eating dinner the next day or paying for internet.... Some cuts had to be made and I am sure that accounts for a good percentage of loss. The rest is " girl trouble" "wife at home said stop playing" " man trouble" "abuse"

But this is just another one of her alts lol

Crowds are fickle and if a venue doesn't continually work hard to keep the interest of their patrons, then they move on to the next big thing.  Some venue's still draw large crowds in SL though to the point they sim they are on is full.

I don't see a huge change in the number of people on the grid at one time.  It has decreased some but not as much as some people want you to believe.  Google SL concurrency stats and you'll see.  LL is still signing up an average of 10K new accounts per day too.  Yes some are alts but even saying 25 percent are, that is still a respectable figure.  The problem is retention of them.    I think people with the sky is falling attitude know some people that leave SL and think that it is unusually high.  But some people have always left after while. I know myself, that there have been periods where a number of people I know decided to leave, but that is not evidence that everyone is.

Which brings me to why people leave.  I firmly believe SL is what you make it yourself.  Some people don't do much except shop and/or club so they probably do get bored after a while with the same old same old.  But if you make an effort to do more than that, such as learn a SL skill, explore, meet new people, try new things, I don't see how anyone could be bored.  I've been on SL everyday (with the exception of one period due to health issues) 6+ years now, my partner 7+.  I know a lot of people as 'old' as we are, and some even older that still enjoy SL.  But everyone I know does a lot more in SL than shop and club.

LL to my knowledge doesn't publish any statistics on the 'average' time someone stays in SL.  Not sure it would be any worse than any other virtual world or even game if they did.

Yes, thats just whats I thought! I recently visted a sim and because I'm a kind person I read there rules. First said: No animal avatars and child avatars. I thought...ok I think I can understand that, its an adult sim with sex animation on it. But then it said ONLY human avatars.

That was the point where I left. I'm an elf. A lot people love my ears and I'm not going to put them off just because some owner has a limited boring fantasy and forces that on the guests of his club :matte-motes-smitten:

Traffic goes up and down, sometimes it is busy for a while, then it is quiet.

Such is (second) life.

Some of it can be defined and analyzed, some of it has no real meaning, people are fickle.

But the sim where I live has been doing fine for over 3 years, all apartments rented all the time, fun events, strong community, etc.

And we too only allow humans and even have a strict dress code.

Concurrency is definitely in decline. This chart taken from Grid Survey care of Daniel Voyagers Blog shows the decline over the last few years.

SL daily concurrency levels decline further in 2012

• Since July 2012 the minimum daily concurrency seems to be balanced between 30, 000 to 35, 000 mark.
  • Since July 2012 the median peak daily concurrency seems to be stable between 45, 000 to 48, 000 mark
  • Since July 2012 the maximum daily concurrency seems to be remain around 60, 000 to 64, 000 peaking
  • Since July 2012 the daily Second Life sign ups have dropped down to around 11, 000 – 14, 000 mark

historicalconcurrency.png

Linden Lab no longer releases statistics for Second Life and I base my findings via the SL Grid Survey, Hypergrid Business reports and other SL metric sources.

Yes the Numbers of people who actually want to play SecondLife are going down, I will provide the reason why I believe such is happening.

1. No Last Names, This was a big mistake with Linden Lab Removing Them.

2. Griefers the number of griefers I have not seen as many griefers hitting sandboxes as much lately a lot of them have left to other games now not saying there are not trolls around because there are and griefers still exist.

3. CopyBots control the SandBox, if you are like me you can just look at a persons profile and tell if they are up to no good, not only that but you can often go by a sandbox and find bots wearing stolen items.

4. Yes some people are leaving because there is nothing to do in Second Life. Well actually to say there are things you can do but the most common RolePlays have Drama, Griefers, Spies, and even CopyBotters, the worst of it all is that some sim owners in SL support this type of conduct but uses loop-holes to avoid getting banned by LL, and they ban anyone who actually questions it they banned my account from all their sims because of one griefer who ripped off this merchants entire store passed it around in the sandbox and did nothing about this griefer. This merchant was one of my favorite merchants it makes me sad that he quit SL, but you can see why he quit, even if his profile doesn't say it I think he quit because of the griefer.

There are very few communities worth joining in Second Life like a Military Community, or Starting your own group of friends and doing something like bloodlines but if you join an existing group always expect grief drama, and owners of the groups or founders whom don't listen dont care. Personally I ask before joining any group now what their policy is before joining, and make sure they are going to follow the TOS & Uphold before I join if not I dont want to be part of it.

5. Lack of account Security, Your account gets compromised "LL" Cant do anything.

6. "RolePlay" Why roleplay in Second Life when you can go to www.mmorpg.com and play an actual Role-Playing Game.

Compared to 2000 MMORPG's like Defiance, APB Reloaded, and Mech Warrior Online have became more realistic, and there is no point of even using Second Life its a money sink all around unless you create and sell content.

I mean back in 2000, and 2001 or such I think it was when SL was first being developed it was unique, now its not anymore and almost every MMORPG supports ralistic avatars, even some with VOIP built into the game, even the Mech sim in SL that I played in a few times I think is loosing business because of Mech Warrior Online.

What I am saying is Second Life is still very Unique but your average gamer doesn't want to waste Real Life Money now, and the most SL is good for is Yiffing, or Chatting with friends, or RP the adult stuff you can't in other games thats about all.

7. During the time I still played SL a lot before leaving I had a lot of mesh on my sim I didn't lag much I love the new mesh support its great, I hate the abusers who like to claim copyrighted work as their own though.

8. What SecondLife Needs.

Is something innovative something that is unique like a actual good MMORPG hud in Second Life and MMORPG system that combines MMORPG + RolePlay, Cheaper Tiers, Better Account Security which allows Lindens to restore hacked accounts within 30 days  for example, Better Housing/Land rather than 512 plots what about instanced housing instead with a premium fee or something.

It also needs Last Names to be put back, Less Griefers, CopyBot's gone or dealt with easier, possibly more Lindens working, and not just acting on DMCA.

But a Neighborhood watch where players can report Stolen Content, Lindens can investigate and remove it, and to be honest it doesn't require a DMCA, if they already have a DMCA on file from X Hair Creator saying they are the only ones with a patent and I filed a report on someone who ripped a hair infront of me there is no reason they can't immediately ban that account remove that hair in world/blacklist after they inspect and verify the hair UUID's/Textures Match that hair creator. ( And yes I know this is all possible.)

Over the Years.

Since 2009 when I came over to the Adult Grid I have seen many sims come and go places I used to play in that no longer exist, I am not defaming the following people.

Toxia RP sim used to have 3 or 4 sims now to my knowledge last time I saw in world only had one sim?
New Jessie, Combat Sim open to all closed down.
NoR, They had 32 regions at one time, or 28, now they are down to 11 sims?
GOR, I Remember Pidemont, and Fantasies, the big cluster of sims, lots of them are gone now.
DCS ,  The region still exists, but I remember the time when it always had people doing combat in their little arena good times now its just a shop.

These are the good times I miss Second Life going back to 2009, When things were not as bad as they were now, SL Started its decline since 2006 when the CopyBot came out to the public, and its only getting worse due to Linden Mistakes, and Griefers/Bots, people are leaving SL its just not worthit the high costs when you get burn out like me, and tired of ignorance.

http://secondlife.wikia.com/wiki/Libsecondlife

To be honest about it all the BOT itself didn't destroy the grid, or cause any harm. The Ignorant griefers did, sure it was leaked or got given out however whatever I don't care. But it didn't have to be abused, and if it wasn't abused and merchants I know of were not abused they would still be playing today, but a lot of them left already at least ones I know were tired of it.

This is my reason to why I think SL is on its decline, not because of Mesh.

I guess it all depends on where you hang out in SL and how you spend your time.

I haven't visited a sandbox, met a serious griefer or copybotter in a long time.

And I've never been bored in SL, there is lots to do... and I don't even travel much to other sims.

As for roleplay, I've never even heard of that MMORPG website and it doesn't look very attractive to me.

But does that site allow you to build your own city for roleplaying?

With any theme you like?

Does it give me almost complete freedom to create a roleplaying sim?

I am not saying that SL shouldn't improve, it should and there is plenty wrong with it.

Over the Years.

Since 2009 when I came over to the Adult Grid I have seen many sims come and go places I used to play in that no longer exist,
I am not defaming the following people.

Toxia
RP sim used to have 3 or 4 sims now to my knowledge last time I saw in world only had one sim?

New Jessie,
Combat Sim open to all closed down.

NoR,
They had 32 regions at one time, or 28, now they are down to 11 sims?

GOR,
I Remember Pidemont, and Fantasies, the big cluster of sims, lots of them are gone now.

DCS , 
The region still exists, but I remember the time when it always had people doing combat in their little arena good times now its just a shop.

Funny you should mention these in particular. In my experience, nothing so hastens the decline of a roleplay community as the use of a combat system -- any combat system.

That's not to say that there's a decline in use of combat systems, nor in the number of sims involved, only that those sims that use it generally don't last all that long, and are quickly replaced.  Also, I don't think it's a fault of the systems, per se, but rather the kind of roleplay that needs combat systems. Too much drahma, people get bored with all the talking about roleplay instead of roleplaying, or something.

Come to think of it, for makers of combat systems, it's really good that there's a lot of turnover in the sims that use them.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

LL to my knowledge doesn't publish any statistics on the 'average' time someone stays in SL.  Not sure it would be any worse than any other virtual world or even game if they did.

Excellent point.  The MMORPG Everquest is now 13 years old.  I began playing it shortly after its introduction and played for 7 years continuously. 

(As a sidenote, I'm not the typical gamer in that I could care less how quickly I "level," I detest raids, I don't even enjoy grouping.  I played solo or with a good friend for the most part but what I did even more than that is similar to what I do in SL - explore.  I enjoyed traveling through "Norrath" to see the sights, help a noobie, or sometimes I found a pretty spot and IM'd with a friend.)

Over the years EQ began losing players as new games were introduced.  MMORPGs operate on multiple servers, each server has a name and is comprised of a portion of the total number of players for that game.  If I play on Server A, I will never see someone on Server X, even though we both will see the exact same content.  As EQ's population dropped, Sony began merging servers so there wouldn't be a lot of servers each having few players.  Last year Sony introduced a Free to Play model in the hope of attracting new players and/or old players who had moved on.  However, the Free to Play part of EQ is extremely limited and, imo, would only appeal to those who want to try out EQ to see if they want to continue playing.

I said all of the above to say that it is the nature of online venues to make the headlines when first introduced, hit a peak, and then decline somewhat due to a variety of reasons, many of which have already been stated in this thread.

My main point is that SL is not unusual in the scope of online communities - be it virtual worlds, games, social media, or chat media.

Jo Yardley wrote:

Traffic goes up and down, sometimes it is busy for a while, then it is quiet.

Such is (second) life.

Some of it can be defined and analyzed, some of it has no real meaning, people are fickle.

But the sim where I live has been doing fine for over 3 years, all apartments rented all the time, fun events, strong community, etc.

And we too only allow humans and even have a strict dress code.

Years ago I heard about 1920s Berlin on the forums; much of the conversation being about the strict dress code.  My then-partner and I decided to visit and made sure we read all the note cards available at the landing location.  As we read, we looked at each other and said, "Ummm, where are the strict rules?"  He and I enjoyed dressing in SL in such a manner that we were well within the dress code guidelines.

As my high school history teacher used to say, "It depends on whose ox is being gored."  I appreciate 1920s Berlin being so amazingly authentic.  Since I tend to dress in vintage attire most of the time, I enjoy being able to visit sims of like-minded people.

I look forward to visiting again...as soon as I get my new PC so I can see mesh. :)

lol, yes combat systems, well they still move, I lost count of how many I have sold, but you can blame combat, but you know it is the people here that are driving the new away, just look at This thread, can you see anything wrong with it, get a person that has never been in sl to read it and see if they would be afraid about stepping on some of your toes, no people want to have fun not get involved in your addiction and who is worthy or not to play SL.

NONE SO BLIND AS THOSE THAT CAN SEE.

This thread has all the answers but that would mean you having to look at yourselves and what sl has done to you, but believe me IT IS YOU THAT DRIVE THEM AWAY.

money plays a minor role as do the lindens.

Boudicca Littlebird wrote:

lol, yes combat systems, well they still move, I lost count of how many I have sold, but you can blame combat, but you know it is the people here that are driving the new away, just look at This thread, can you see anything wrong with it, get a person that has never been in sl to read it and see if they would be afraid about stepping on some of your toes, no people want to have fun not get involved in your addiction and who is worthy or not to play SL.

This thread has all the answers but that would mean you having to look at yourselves and what sl has done to you, but believe me IT IS YOU THAT DRIVE THEM AWAY.

Do you ever review what you have written in a thread and think to yourself "I really need to get myself sectioned?"

Porky Gorky wrote:

Boudicca Littlebird wrote:

Do you ever review what you have written in a thread and think to yourself "I really need to get myself sectioned?"

I'm almost afraid to ask what "sectioned" is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.