TV/Movie Help...

Ayva Meili

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HI there, we just got a tv in world for movies and when I crash and come back on, I get nothing but a big white screen. Is there any tv/player out there that will let me start and my partner FF to catch up or vice versa? Nothing can be done now except to start the whole movie over every time. Thanks for any help or answers.

I think all of the players work with streaming video, so it begins from the point you click on it, unfortunately. But then I'm hesitant to promote or recommend most of those movie rental places because I do not think any of them are legal. 

I just use a royalty free movie stream and a textured prim. :)

http://archive.org/index.php

Click "Video" on top

Click category - in this case, "Movies" (on the next page)

Choose a movie or video (you can use search, or look around on categories some more)

For example: http://archive.org/details/his_girl_friday This is a page for a single movie

Now scroll down to below the video box, and look (left to right) in "Movie Files" - choosing one that's kind of low resolution. That will play smoother in Second Life. I recommend to choose 512kb MPEG4. 

Click the link below the file you chose, in this case, the link below 512kb MPEG4 in the list. 

On the NEXT page, copy the URL at top of page. (Click, slide mouse to highlight entire URL, right click and choose Copy.)

Open Second Life. Go to land you own media rights to, & click to open the land tabs. (One of two ways: Click the name of the land on top of your SL screen; or right click the land. Choose the Media tab on your land.)

In the Second Life land media tab, paste the movie URL in. In the little texture box in the Media tab, make sure the texture matches the texture on the prim you will view the movie on. The media tab texture and prim face MUST have the same texture. (Drag a texture to each, or click the space, and choose from the pop up window.)

For the prim I recommend making it white/blank on all sides but the front. To do that, choose 'select texture' after right clicking the prim and choosing 'edit.' Then click once on the one side of the prim. Then, choose the texture you want to put there.

Now you should be able to click Play in your media and watch the film.

Any questions, come back and ask. If I don't see it I'm sure someone else will help. 

Enjoy.

(edited for clarity)

PS in the media tab to make it better I recommend that you also checkmark or 'tick' 

Auto scale

Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel

I also hide music & media URL but that's up to you.

If you enable voice I would also check 'Restrict voice to this parcel'

Then your neighbors don't call the cops for your loud movie parties.  :P

You're very welcome. :)

I did leave out one detail by accident, the way to copy or paste (in this case, paste) within the SL viewer is to choose edit/paste in the SL viewer toolbar.

Took me a long time to figure that out Lol so I shouldn't take for granted everyone reading this will know.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.