Need your opionion!

IsisRea Diavolo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm curious about your opionion about a Marketplace review i got the other day. I'm an old merchant, but it's the first time i was getting a 1 star review without knowing the real issue the customer had. He was only saying that one of my ol' and best selling stuff is a junk and suggested to otthers to don't buy it. I left a comment, but you all know that comments arent too visible and this 1 star review is still bugging me, cus even before i had a rez-platform where people can see my things before buying i was always showing them if they asked me just to be sure they are paying for what they want. Unfortunately, non of those from who i got good feedback left review and now i don't know how to handle this. I wouldnt be pissed if the guy would be more explicit, but i don't feel it fair saying only "not to buy 'cus don't worth it". What do you think? Should i contact the guy and ask him to be more specific about his disapointment in his review, to flag the review or to leave it as it is and hope that ppl wont run away scared from that review without seeing the building inworld.

This is the review: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/products/2392989/reviews/3416428#comments

As a consumer I do pay attention to reviews. But it is just as important that I also read the comments by the seller becasue alot of times someone will give a bad review due to not receiving a product (which is not always the fault of the seller). If I am able to see and item in world before I buy, I will. Another issue with reviews is that if a consumer buys the item in world they cannot leave a review even when they really want to.

Hope you do not fret over this too much.

I pay attention to reviews, but only those reviews that give specifics because people will post reviews for reasons other than product quality or support.  This particular one would not carry any weight with me since it doesn't say specifically what he thinks is wrong with the build.  He obviously did not see it before purchase or he wouldn't have purchased it if he thought it wasn't worth it.  Not sure what he expected for only 250L anyway.

Just from the pictures it looks like its well worth the 250L and I have seen much less quality sell for much more. I get reviews that upset me at times too, I deal with mesh clothing and people either don't heed my 3 "try the demo" warnings and buy it without trying the free demo, or they leave a 1-2 star review because they're offended that it didn't fit them personally. Sadly we can't please everyone. I usually try to contact the reviewer in game and see why they were so upset and then ask them to change their review after they're satisfied. Just a warning though, alot of them never follow through.

I agree with Shaodie. I'd contact the reviewer in-world via notecard and say something along the lines of:

I just became aware of the the review that was left on the marketplace for the (item name here). I understand you were disappointed with this product after purchase. I feel the review is a little unfair since I was not contacted by you for any help, and I would have loved the chance to help you because I want all my customers to be satisfied. I would still like the opportunity to help you if you will let me. I do hope you reconsider your review. I look forward to hearing back from you.

You're being polite yet not pointing fingers. Hopefully they will get back to you.

If it were me, I'd contact the customer and ask if he could please tell you specifically what he is unhappy about re: the product.  If it's something that can be corrected (not that there *is* anything that needs to be corrected, but if he says something like, "I had hoped the walls would be black" - just making something up for an example, then retexture the walls black, send it to him, and ask that he please revise his comment.

Or, it is well within your rights to ask that the review be deleted since there are no specifics given. I have never done this so not quite sure how but, in reading this forum several merchants have done this with good results.

Thank you all for the quick response and advice! I think i will contact the guy and will ask him to be more specific (cus id really like to know why he was so disappointed), and i wont fret myself cus of this one review..after all..i'm building only cus i love to build..and i think you are all right: if someone will be intrigued will read not only the review but my comment too and will go and check out the building in world. I'd just wish if the comments would be more visible.

It happens, you cant please everybody.

I am sore about reviews because when the marketplace transitioned from the old Xstreet, I found several of my items had 'hidden' 1 star ratings (I cant even call them reviews because they are only stars, no comments), that were suddenly made visible.

In the Xstreet days, it took 3 ratings to make it all visible, so one or two ratings were hidden. The Marketplace made them all visible at once, and now I have absolutely no idea who gave the ratings, and there are no comments to go with them to tell me why.

I cannot do anything about these ratings and they will stay on my items until the end of time, for an unknown reason and by unknown customers.

Princess Verwood wrote:

I agree with Shaodie. I'd contact the reviewer in-world via notecard and say something along the lines of:

I just became aware of the the review that was left on the marketplace for the (item name here). I understand you were disappointed with this product after purchase. I feel the review is a little unfair since I was not contacted by you for any help, and I would have loved the chance to help you because I want all my customers to be satisfied. I would still like the opportunity to help you if you will let me. I do hope you reconsider your review. I look forward to hearing back from you.

You're being polite yet not pointing fingers. Hopefully they will get back to you.

Not sure I agree with the wording claiming the review was unfair because they didn't contact the seller.  Of course as merchants we would like them to, but customers are under no obligation to do that. I am also sure the buyer didn't think it was an unfair review.

As a consumer your wording might anger me especially since then you ask me to reconsider my review before you even set things right!  It would strike me that the bad review is the only reason that you are concerned.  A simple inquiry of why they were dissatisfied and an offer to work with them to set it right is better I think.  If they give you the opportunity and you make them a happy customer, that is the appropriate time to ask them to reconsider their review IMO.

The purpose of a review is to provide info to prospective buyers to enable them to make a more informed decision -- it should describe problems with quality , function, or service.  This review does not do this at all. It ius useless -- just trying to be malicious. 

It is off topic.

The reviewer says ... "Junk. dont even buy not worth it even if it was free"

That sort of review is worth nothing because it's an unsupported opinion. No reasons given.

If the review had said:   "Poor construction: edges of prims have gaps between them, textures misaligned, floors at strange angles, doors don't open"  then I would pay some attention to it.

As a customer I do pay attention to reviews (and I try to write them, but usually only bother if there is a serious problem or the product was extra impressive.) 

But in that case his review is so vague, I would just go and check out the product for myself.

I  thought you addressed that issue in your reply to him without making it personal. Had you attacked him I would've skipped your store altogether. Not yours but anyone's. Because he has a right to his opinion also even if it was phrased a bit bluntly.

Nefertiti Nefarious wrote:

The reviewer says ... "Junk. dont even buy not worth it even if it was free"

That sort of review is worth nothing because it's an unsupported opinion. No reasons given.

If the review had said:   "Poor construction: edges of prims have gaps between them, textures misaligned, floors at strange angles, doors don't open"  then I would pay some attention to it.

This.  A review is for the purpose of providing info to help a potential buyer make a decision, not to be used simply as a weapon. This kind of review is just an attempt to punish.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4105 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.