So, is there a method for merchants to link to Amazon..well...or will there be?

Poenald Palen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I thought it was a clever deal in which they downloaded a viewer with a special inventory call that LL has made. But, no...it is an account link!?

So. ALL of the marketplace stuff could be placed on Amazon sooner or later? I mean, I no people are into outsourcing...but is that the real end to the marketplace stratagy? Sorry marketplace.secondlife.com, your fired and now Amazon handles it all. That would mean residents could review items and get commission? THAT might be an interesting way to boost online sales! I wonder if they will maybe even try a affiliate program with the existing marketplace site? So many questions that will most likely end with a "no" being the answer. Still, it may make for interesting discussion IF it where even possible.

Does Amazon's linking thingy software/service/method work for merchants? I mean, can I make a bot that sends items (Hey, that bot software can actually run on an Amazon service they offer lol) and basically the bot softwares capabilities "talk" to amazons link thingy?

I guess I should contact Amazon. But, I thought someone may have already thought of this because...well, I just noticed the wierd linked account logo thingy and didn't know much about this. I have looked into some Amazon services stuff, read a bit about how smaller companies can list stuff there...but forgot or missed this account linking. Anyone checked out this and knows if Amazon's account link thingy for selling items in-game can work with a SL bot client? Thanks for any response. And, if so....I bet you might make a bit of money. I can't do it, but I am curious...software curious? That sounds so...software gay, huh? A, one can't speak without ones words being misconstrued....ugh, now I sound like a queen....yikes, it gets worse. I will simply stop typing now!

Lexi Zelin wrote:

And why exactly would we want to post SL **bleep** on amazon?? This is the first ive heard of this and I have to say it sounds pretty stupid people don't search for SL stuff on amazon hahha

Yeah, but LL has a pack of stuff they give away for free (plus they give the person linden dollars) and it uses some odd thing where Amazon will get a verifying message or whatever...you log into Amazon and also must be logged into Second Life!!!

I wondered if this was a sort of test LL was doing....maybe they will let SLer's do this? I think the primary reason they are doing this is to promo SL a bit, sell some linden dollars via Amazon (some people already have accounts there and don't wish to get paypal or put thier bank info on LL's servers when they barely know LL? Or just the hastle of it all) and they have a gift card or some kind of cash there from selling things. Amazon also does Amazon Payments service. This is like a paypal alternative. Some may use it instead or in addition to....if you do get a gift card, do work, sell or somehow do business with Amazon you may end up with a Amazon Payments account. Sort of one of those things where LL is trying out getting attention. They also listed on Steam. I suppose it will come up in searches for some things, mostly people looking for game stuff...so, advertising at the very least for new customers. Seems cheap to, since it pays them because some of the people buy stuff in addition to just opening an account!

But, yeah....why our stuff? I don't know, just wondering. Since some may not trust LL or want to enter info yet again. Plus gift cards. Tonnes of people use Amazon, so they have accounts. I can imagine there are thousands of Slers who may have gotten gift cards....what better way to unload them I guess.

Lexi Zelin wrote:

And why exactly would we want to post SL **bleep** on amazon?? This is the first ive heard of this and I have to say it sounds pretty stupid people don't search for SL stuff on amazon hahha

Because some times when I am searching for things I use Google and it has the potential of coming up in my search results.

I think you're putting two and two together and coming up with five. The Amazon link is only for US customers for a start, it's a newish process Amazon have launched called Amazon Game Connect for creators of free to play games etc. to use to sell their content to customers but it's not a means to replacing the marketplace here.

Lexi Zelin wrote:

SL Products on Amazon.

LL blogged about this recently: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/Second-Life-is-now-on-Amazon-With-a-Special-Promotion-This/ba-p/1798929

Ciaran Laval wrote:

I think you're putting two and two together and coming up with five. The Amazon link is only for US customers for a start, it's a newish process Amazon have launched called Amazon Game Connect for creators of free to play games etc. to use to sell their content to customers but it's not a means to replacing the marketplace here.

Yep, that is the way I see it too. It is just a new way of marketing SL to possible customers.

I doubt we will see Market Place items in Amazon's catalog.

There is some confusion in various places about what is meant by 'on Amazon.' Technically much of Second Life is on Amazon. The assets for Second Life total about 200 terabytes. Much of that data storage is provided by the Amazon Cloud. You can find a 'case study' by Amazon Web Services (AWS) explaining how Linden Lab uses Amazon content delivery systems. But that doesn't mean SL stuff is in the catalog of things for sale on Amazon.

Today there was a Treet.tv episode about griefing and copyboting in SL. Adding Market Place content to Amazon, as things are now, might prove to be a legal can of worms.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.