Can you make an SL shirt with hems?

NdaCloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there anyway to create an SL shirt with hems on it?  You know, around the neck, sleaves and bottom of the shirt like a real shirt.  I just thought it would make it look more realistic.  And on some shirts it might be nice to have a different color for the hems/edges. 

Thanks

Absolutely! People use mesh or prims to add depth and interest to items every day, including hems, sleeves, collars, etc. Is it possible to do it only using a system layer? No, not really. A well-textured item can appear to have a hem, have a very nice collar, have good sleeves, etc.; but if you're talking about a more 3D, true-to-life effect, prims/scultps or mesh are the way to go. They attach at different points on the avatar body - for instance, the sleeves would attach to the arms (one to the left arm, the other to the right; they wouldn't be two sleeves in one object), the bottom of the sweater might attach to the torso, the collar maybe to the chest or neck. Prim attachments can be stiff, but they still look pretty good. Mesh moves more easily, but can't be resized. The shirt would also have a system layer to cover the parts not covered by the prims or mesh.

Yes, I do it.

As Ariel pointed out, the use of prims will add some depth or 3-D effect. However, I make all of my SL clothes using GIMP to make "system" clothes. Looking at some of my RL shirts, skirts, and other thing there is very little thickness difference for a hem. There is a slight difference in color and often the stitching  is visible.

One way to make a hem is too use a very slight difference in color. Also, my shirts are less than 100% opacity (like real fabric). Typically, if you look closely and my avi has fully rezed, you will see a slight image of my bra under it (like in RL). For hems, I make the hem more opaque, often 100%. I make hems at the bottom, sleeves, neckline, and sometimes even where the seams on RL clothing would be.

Marybeth

yes you can do it and you can do it on layer looking really great and realistic. i still prefer a great quality layer texture than an average quality prim or mesh that wont move correctly with you avatar when you will move and wont never have the same brightness than your shirt layer, bec its impossible in sl whatever windlight setting you are using.

if you are using photoshop, i may help you, im me inworld. im sorry but i forgot a lot about gimp and im afraid to not be able to help with it.. 

i can show some example inworld too... just let me know :smileyhappy:

ETA : i sent to you an exemple inworld :)

I took some screen shots on my computer of TV shows (web replays of shows, trailers, etc}. That resulted in the equivalent of Second Life but with better resolution and no "rez" problems. Most of the time I could not see hems. When I could, I imported the screen shot into GIMP and examined it. The only difference the hem made was a very slight difference in color. So I think that making hem using system layer clothes in GIMP or Photoshop would work OK, just make the hem slightly darker or less saturated (less white) than the rest of the shirt.

It all depend upon what you want to put into it.

Looking at photos of shirts and other items on web catalog sites for stores, and enlarging those pictures, I see many types of hems. Many are barely visible, or not visible. For some a there is only a slight change in color.For some a change in opacity, with the hem being more opaque, will work. For others some depth would be required. That can be done in GIMP. Some hems involve a small shadow next to sections of the hem.

Larger items such a shirt colors and pants leg cuffs may require more advanced techniques such as mesh or prims.

Susan: " I know that Marybeth just uses color..."

No, Sometimes I also use the usual techniques, shadow and shading, to give hems a little depth. What I was saying is that it really doesn't matter that much. I have seen shirts, skirts, and other things in the store, and the real garment really had easily seen  hems. The I looked at the same item on the web site. In that photo the hems were not visible or they could be replicated only with a slight change in color or, on some things, making most of the shirt about 95% opaque and the hem 100% opaque. So it really depend on how much you want to put into it.

I like realism, but I don't see a need to show detail that is often not seen in photographs on the web of the real item. But it can be fun and challanging. That is the reason I like to make SL clothes anyway.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.