Connection Upgraded - SL doesnt work

Bjorn Collins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently my internet provider doubled all their customers connections, after that - no teleports works, nothing works, all textures are blurry (small objects textures loads perfectly, large surfaces stay blurry (polygon issue?)

My system

Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge
ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 Sandy Bridge B3
ASUS ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5
Corsair 32GB DDR3 1600MHz (4x8)
OCZ Vertex 3 SSD - 120 GB (SYSTEM DISC)
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD - 512 GB (INSTALL DISC)
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD - 512 GB (DATA DISC)
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
200/200 Mbit Fiber Optic

My connection preferences in the client has max bandwidth set to 5000 before the upgrade, since then I have tried both 100 and 500 and 10000 etc but nothing changes.

I have tried custom port (and open everything correctly in my router) - I should add that my modem and router is combined and I cant remove either of them, hence no connection then.

I will add that I can login and move aroubnd at my home which is on mainland (old continent, Sansara) and I can fly around, if I do a simcrossing - it just continues to simcross, not through objects but following terrain and is stopped by objects - but I cant move anyways, then suddenly SL just states that I have been disconnected from my region.

A friend of mine is with me, he can easily teleport around and simcross, and he is in the same region as me.

I have recently uninstalled SL and removed all data related to SL from AppData and the Registry Database, before installing again.

I have now opened all the ports that SL is using to my hardware firewall, which is in the router - sofar nothing has changed either. The ports are as follows:

TCP: 53, 80, 443, 12043, 12046 and 21002.

UDP: 53, 3478, 3479, 5060, 5062, and 12000-29999.

Source: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539

You should have been checking Grid Status. It takes Grid Status some time to catch up with events. Many of us use groups to find out if it is just us or all SL users. We ask, is anyone else having problems?

One of the first troubleshooting steps is figuring out where the problem is. To figure out where the problem may be read through Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection.

Doing things like clearning the viewer cache and reinstalling the viewer are pertty much last resort steps.

Today I ran into the same problems. My land marks stopped working. I went to the World Map. It was not working. So, is that a viewer thing or what? My next step is to go to SecondLife.com/destinations/. I find that I can even get my destination region to come up on the web page.

Then I find I can't log into the web sites. They are all wacky.

A computer restart and router/modem restart later I find the web and SL are still having problems. I then test my connection to a server in the Phoenix, AZ. data centre to see if it is my system or ISP. I use SpeedTest.net for that test. I loaded a couple of region servers into SpeedTest.net by looking in the Viewer's Help->About... when things were working. I can not check the connection into the or at least nearby the data center.

In the past 2 years most of my login problems and tp problems have been issues on the Linden side of the connection. I have not had to reinstall a viewer in almost 3 years. I have had to clear the cache and reset the viewer settings a couple of times.

A little checking can save you a load of work.

Thanks for your reply, however a few things - I pretty much did everything you said and checked the grid status aswell, not really anything beeing posted there very often.

Also it wasnt about landmarks, I couldnt teleport or simcross at all, I couldnt try it from elsewhere - since I was kinda stuck in one sim on mainland already.

Now, the issue seems to have been worked out after I added SL to my Antivirus's exception list, which is weird - my friend uses the same antivirus and has no issues at all.

Its Avast if anyone is curios anyways.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.