Play Youtube videos in SL

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to play youtube videos in SL? I see tons of expensive "media players" on marketplace, so I tried a couple of free ones, and they are absolutely useless because they are only clientside, in other words only I can see the videos, not anyone else beside me. Why would I log onto SL to watch youtube lol, there is something called a web browser that is 10x less laggy as SL. Whole point is to share videos with other people.

• Like 1

If you only have one specific video you want to play, and not a playlist, shared media can take the embed link (rather than the normal Youttube video link), and this will load the video in "fullscreen" onto the prim, without any of the other webpage stuff along the sides.

- Makes for a nicer presentation than the normal shared media.

Shared media has a major flaw though, the volume is set by the distance between the prim and your camera.

Parcel media on the other hand, plays at a constant volume across the parcel, even if you can't see a prim with the video playing, you will hear it.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Parcel media on the other hand, plays at a constant volume across the parcel, even if you can't see a prim with the video playing, you will hear it.

^^^^ That. is so fricking annoying.. I was at a mall, didnt realize there was a skybox above the mall. Someone was watching an adult movie. I forgot i had my media set to auto play. /facepalm/ I had my speakers on and my kids were around.

The media prim issue is even worse though. If you want to play a video at a social gathering or in a shop or exhibit, people have to zoom in on your web prim and keep it clicked on to hear it and to keep it from 'stopping' if it is streaming (youtube videos will stop streaming once you click anything but that face of the prim).

Your experience just sounds like that venue did poor parcel slicing - putting their little XXX skybox into the same parcel as their shop... which I gather was not a XXX-shop by your reaction to what happened.

• 3 years later...

Hello folks mustacchi a simple question , my new neighbour has always up YouTube stream, it stare in loop e very few minutes and cover my land stream, question is : there's some way  to control that stream or what can i do, Thank's in advance 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.