How do I make a script play multiple sounds repeatedly?

HenryCrawford

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4119 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello again!

I would like to know how to program a script to play multiple sounds like the free rock I got from the marketplace. It plays multiple sounds but it comes with sounds I do not need. How do I program a script to play multiple sounds like this? And how do I make the script play the sounds repeatedly? And how do I get the sounds to play randomly.

EDIT: What I want to know is how to make an object play multiple sounds using a script, but I googled this and found a script can only play one sound. Is this true? If not, how can I program a script to play more than one sound inside of an object?

4 answers to this question

You can start by making a gesture.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-gestures-and-animations/ta-p/700069#Section_.1.1

You can make your own sounds, and upload them to SL, using:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Eventually, you will place the sounds and gestures from your inventory, into the Contents tab, of an object or prim, or hud... this is SL, you have many paths to follow. (scripting pun intended)

I will post some additional links here.

There is a list of scripts, that will help you to better understand the options.

Learning to script could take a long time. Many of the element you need, are already made, you only need to assemble them.

It's not hard to write a script that lets you choose among multiple sounds, but if you have no scripting experience it will probably be easier to either buy one or pay a scripter to write it for you. You might also post a query in the Wanted forum.  You might get lucky and find a free one.

Following Rolig's suggestion, may be the best course.

A single gesture or sound is limited to something like 9-10 seconds. They can be looped.

A Script could be told to play any number of sounds, in any interval, for any duration.

The sounds can be clicked to play, auto-play, looped, proximity activated, active on teleport, and other triggers too numerous to list here.

Objects have a Contents tab.

There are systems, and methods in place, which will lead to what you may want to know.

If you want to learn, start working with the objects yourself. Click around, explore.

If not, just hire someone.

Oh, all right ...   Here's a script ...  :smileyvery-happy:

list gSounds;MakeList(){	gSounds = [];	integer i = llGetInventoryNumber(INVENTORY_SOUND);	while (i)	{		--i;		gSounds += [llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_SOUND,i)];	}}default{	state_entry()	{		MakeList();	}	touch_start(integer total_number)	{                llListen(-578192,"","","");		llDialog(llDetectedKey(0), " \nGo ahead ... pick one..",gSounds,-578192);	}	changed (integer change)	{		if (change & CHANGED_INVENTORY)		{			llResetScript();		}	}	listen (integer channel, string name, key id, string msg)	{		llLoopSound(msg,1.0);	}}

EDIT:  Ooops.. Script error.   I should know better than to post something off the top of my head without going in world first.  Fixed it, though.  :smileyembarrassed:

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4119 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.