i think of buy new imac will it work with second life. the video card not listed on requirements.

Azimoth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I would like to buy the new Imac, however the graphics cards are not listed on the web site. IM currently using a mac mini and works rather well however it is the 2011 model.

I cant find the porper way to contac linden so if you have any imput please let me know. 

The configurations im looking at are asfollow in order of  price low to high. would like the cheaper one but if i haveto i will spend the extra clams on the next one up

• 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
  • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
  • 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M 512MB GDDR5

or

• 3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
  • 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
  • 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512MB GDDR5

thankyou in advance

4 answers to this question

Both computer have quality specifications, either should work very good.

Of course, I would go for the i7 processor. If money wasn't a problem.

Linden's rarely visit here, and they rarely give pc advice. (They use super computers :smileyvery-happy: )

If you have a need to contact Customer Support, the link is:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-contact-customer-support/ta-p/739385

Either one should run Second Life.  The 640M and 650M cards are not particularly powerful, but should do a moderately good job on Low or Medium settings.

You would get much better performance if you get a computer with a GeForce card in the 600 series, WITHOUT the "M" (Mobile) suffix.  A GeForce 650, 660, or 670 would be my preference.

I'm using the "cheaper" one since December 14th and I can assure you SL is humming happy tunes on this iMac. Maybe a bit slow when I'm pushing my graphics to ultra, but otherwise works perfectly even with lights and shadows enabled. So the price difference between the two versions may be not justified. You may want to save that money for  spending Lindens in SL! :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.