Profile perving and relationships

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Profiles are there for the perving,  That is their purpose.  I generally look at the profile of anyone new I am introduced to or have conversation with, and sometimes just when a persons avatar is interesting for a variety of reasons.

The majority of guys that randome IM's you with a Hi, followed by immediate silence after an exchange of some banality fall into one of two categories.  They are also IM'ing other women in the club 'shopping' for the candy of the night or are terribly shy and just don't know where to go from there if they actually get someone to respond. I am sure this appllies to the women who do this too.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love reading profiles. Though I'm not certain I could tell you why. It's fascinated me since the day I joined sl ages and ages ago and eventually dumped that account (long before this av came to be in 08, lol). I used to just sit and people watch, specifically so I could perv profiles. I figure it's there, and people fill it because they want others to read. If they didn't, it would be blank :D

I don't pay groups much mind, for the most part. I've learned they're rarely ever the indicators people think they are, lol.

As one who mentioned the group-reading, I think I explain it a little further of I see it. Most profiles don't have at much noticeworth groups, meant as not that the visible group list tells anything special and most groups seem to be rather random and there is no system or focus. But then there are those where the groups are THAT thing that peaks out. For example 5 or 6 groups just about one theme....its not likly that this doesn't tell me something about that person.

From your groups I guess you like breedables, especially meroos Tari, am I right? :cathappy:

Not exactly. You are right with the clubs, despite the opinion some people have about clubs in SL, I found them to be an relaxing place to hang out and a easy place to meet new people (or just look around at the profiles to see hows there :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:). I also enjoy simple listing to music sometimes and lately discovered that live music acts can be fun too.

Don't know how you came up with that sex-thing. The title of one of my picks may lead to that, but the content is actually about those kind of people who instantly hug your leg, just because you act friendly :matte-motes-mad: I wrote that shortly after I had the "plesure" to dance with someone who thought after that we are right on the way to be a couple soon.

I love profile perving. If only we could click on people's heads in real life before we had the pleasure or misfortune of talking to them. My personal favorites are the ones where people proclaim themselves to be either a "b*tch" or an "@$$hole" and take take great pride in those attributes. *Sigh*.

And just what is it exactly, about having extended friends and family in SL that incites thoughts of violence to the point where people actually put threats on their profiles? There's the classic "F*** with my family or friends and you will pay!" or some such nonsense. What are they gonna do, caps-lock someone to death for calling their "sissy" a poopyhead?

Tari Landar wrote:

I don't pay groups much mind, for the most part. I've learned they're rarely ever the indicators people think they are, lol.

Since groups have been brought up a number of times, I agree with the above *in general.*  In the situation I described there was one group in the guy's profile that was totally opposite of what he had gone out of his way to tell me the night before.  Another one was odd, again based on what he voluntarily stated to me, but the one was like a red light saying, "This guy is not what he says he is."

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

Since groups have been brought up a number of times, I agree with the above *in general.* 
In the situation I described there was one group in the guy's profile that was totally opposite of what he had gone out of his way to tell me the night before.  Another one was odd, again based on what he voluntarily stated to me, but the one was like a red light saying, "This guy is not what he says he is."

Emphasis above mine.

This is very typical of those personality types that take advantage of the vulnerable.  They often test to see how bright their target is, how observant they are & most important, how easy it is to gain their trust.

They have little or no feeling for others & will come off as very charming in the beginning  but will then go very very cold if they determine their target does not meet their criteria. 

IMO, the environment of SL makes this even easier for these types to find what they are looking for.  It's much easier to deceive someone from behind a monitor than it is face to face. 

Rival Destiny wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Tari Landar wrote:

Since groups have been brought up a number of times, I agree with the above *in general.* 
In the situation I described there was one group in the guy's profile that was totally opposite of what he had gone out of his way to tell me the night before.  Another one was odd, again based on what he voluntarily stated to me, but the one was like a red light saying, "This guy is not what he says he is."

Emphasis above mine.

This is very typical of those personality types that take advantage of the vulnerable.  They often test to see how bright their target is, how observant they are & most important, how easy it is to gain their trust.

They have little or no feeling for others & will come off as very charming in the beginning  but will then go very very cold if they determine their target does not meet their criteria. 

And that's exactly what happened.  After being oh-so-charming the night before *and* "inviting" me to "ask him anything"  - the second night when I said I had a question about a couple of his groups, he became extremely defensive followed by saying out of the blue that "Building bored him silly" when we had never spoken of building, and ending it with, "I don't think we're compatible."

He got that one right. ;)

There are a few people on this forum with scary groups, but its hard to name groups without taking this thread to 15 pages.

In my profile there are a number of groups that I was a part of that have since died, they are almost mementos really and its surprising the number of times I have gotten an IM asking me how so and so is, from a perfect stranger, having seen a particular group in my profile

What irritates me is an empty profile on a older AV, that usually screams alt to me. That and whether the payment info has been used. Its like they couldn't be bothered or don't take SL seriously.

There are entire sims devoted to profile perving, usually they are called clubs.

My first life tab usually has a pic of me RL or a nice picture from one of my favorite FB fantasy artwork pages. Depends on my mood really, if you see the pic of the very peed off looking drow elf Mistress...RUN!..lol

Leia36 wrote:

There are a few people on this forum with scary groups, but its hard to name groups without taking this thread to 15 pages.

In my profile there are a number of groups that I was a part of that have since died, they are almost mementos really and its surprising the number of times I have gotten an IM asking me how so and so is, from a perfect stranger, having seen a particular group in my profile

I used to do that, till i realized that half of my groups were inactive.

What irritates me is an empty profile on a older AV, that usually screams alt to me.

Dear goddess yes. A blank profile on someone that is even a year old screams alt to me.

That and whether the payment info has been used. Its like they couldn't be bothered or don't take SL seriously.

That doesnt bother me so much. I have one alt that used to be my main that has no payment info at all... If i want funds i buy them on Drake.

There are entire sims devoted to profile perving, usually they are called clubs. 
LOL

My first life tab usually has a pic of me RL or a nice picture from one of my favorite FB fantasy artwork pages. Depends on my mood really, if you see the pic of the very peed off looking drow elf Mistress...RUN!..lol

kerryn Paragorn wrote:

Just curious is all.  Have you ever met a person and instantly ran for dem there hills when reading their profile or thought ... not in a million years !!

Geez..wondered why that was happening to me..thought maybe I smelled or something....:matte-motes-sunglasses-2:

I LOVE reading people profiles...if anyone cared to know.

i like checking out the pictures on profiles..

lots of times i don't even read them..

also lots of times i just don't talk to them either..just check out random profiles  for the heck of it..

only arrogant profiles i will tend to judge someone..but someone just looking to have fun or whatever and put all kinds of kinky stuff on there? i'm not gonna judge them in second life..

it's an escape for lots of people..a place to get away from the weight of real life restraints..

some like to get kinky and that's all cool..

some like to be more closer to home and that's cool also..

the ones hating on everyone  that have bad attitude in their profile from the start..well they wanted to be seen like that..i'll give them thier room and stay away ..drama is for the Liama

Tracy Redangel wrote:

And just what is it exactly, about having extended friends and family in SL that incites thoughts of violence to the point where people actually put threats on their profiles? There's the classic "F*** with my family or friends and you will pay!" or some such nonsense. What are they gonna do, caps-lock someone to death for calling their "sissy" a poopyhead?

YEAH! SO JUST WATCH IT, SEE? *SNARL*

Profiles speak but since you can hide groups it´s not same fun anymore.

Have to admit i started to hide groups too even so i hate it. One of my groups is a BDSM one, but straight for scripting their "tools" created especially for this one sim, it could be misleading :matte-motes-grin:

The common hated IM with just a "Hi" could be born out of fear after the initial braveness to speak to a stranger. If you interested in this person maybe try to start a talk and see what comes up.

After all years on SL i became brave enough to do. Evolved from a one word IMer :matte-motes-frown:

Empty profiles put me off, always !

Monti

I've seen my fair share of frightening profiles which sent me high-tailing it for the hills...and I am a heterosexual guy. ;) Not all of us are here for sex; I come for roleplay. I've seen quite a few terrifying women(or so they seem)'s profiles, and I've seen quite a few terrifying men's profiles...plus plenty of clean and amusing profiles as well that are not at all disturbing.

Leia36 wrote:

In the official viewer the 1L and 2L tabs are the same now, and have been since 2009.

So I just use the bottom half to continue typing and put a second image of my avatar since the first half runs out of character too fast.

When folks type something about 'my first life tab' into the bottom half of their profile tab, I tend to assume they're on an outdated viewer - which means they might not be seeing the same SL as me. But that only matters if the conversation turns to things related to 'how to do this or that'.

kerryn Paragorn wrote:

Just curious is all.  Have you ever met a person and instantly ran for dem there hills when reading their profile or thought ... not in a million years !!

Kerryn

Had a white guy avatar sit down next to me a few days back who's profile was all about kidnapping and enslaving black women...

While I wrote earlier in this thread about seeing the 'barely legal' folks as pretty harmless (given the particular nature of that fantasy) - this guy freaked me out.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Leia36 wrote:

In the official viewer the 1L and 2L tabs are the same now, and have been since 2009.

So I just use the bottom half to continue typing and put a second image of my avatar since the first half runs out of character too fast.

When folks type something about 'my first life tab' into the bottom half of their profile tab, I tend to assume they're on an outdated viewer - which means they might not be seeing the same SL as me. But that only matters if the conversation turns to things related to 'how to do this or that'.

The latest Firestorm viewer still has a first life tab.... Pretty sure that it isn't outdated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.