I have activated a new avatar and user name, but I couldn't download, how do I keep name and retry?

Lauri369

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am new at this.  I created a user name and picked a starter avatar.  I went to a screen with a button that read "download and install", but nothing happened when I pressed the button.  So I backed up through the previous screens to try again.  When I tried to type in my user name it said already taken.  So now I have an active account but no download to play your game.  How do I Download and install second life and still keep my user name?

2 answers to this question

When you join Second Life, you're doing two things.  First, you are registering for an account, with a username.  You do that once, and once only.  It's not surprising that you get an error message if you try to register twice with the same username.  Your username is unique, so you can't create two accounts with the same name.  (Yes, you can create a second account with a different username, but that's something else.   Don't worry about that for now.  :smileywink:)

Second, you are downloading a viewer that will let you get in world.  That's the step you are having trouble with.   When you clicked "Download and Install", that should have started the download sequence for copying the Linden Lab V3 viewer onto your computer.  That typically takes a minute or so to download, but could take longer on a slow day.  In any case, you should see some evidence in your computer that a download is taking place. I don't know why that's not happening for you, but you have two choices:

1. Try downloading the viewer again, and be patient. (But do NOT go back and try to open a new account.)

2. Download and install a completely different viewer.  Personally, I recommend the Firestorm vierwer, but you have many other choices.  One of them ought to dowload properly for you.

Downloading a Viewer is a separate procedure, and the account you created is still there for you.

Try this link again, to download and install Second Life.

If you have a problem, check back here, include any error messages you may get.

There are other Viewers you could try, if the Official Viewer is not working for you.

http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4121 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.