SL driver - Hugsy Penguin and then umm! \o/ (:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I'm zipping around Blake Sea right now, and in and around the islands, and I'm not crashing at all. And I've had my finger to the metal all the way. Maybe these vehicles only like male avatars lol.

Hmmm..  Situation at 1.56 PST.  It was very similar when I tried there earlier.  Offline, offline...

Blake Sea 2013-01-17_1-59PST.jpg

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I'm zipping around Blake Sea right now, and in and around the islands, and I'm not crashing at all. And I've had my finger to the metal all the way. Maybe these vehicles only like male avatars lol.

Hmmm..  Situation at 1.56 PST.  It was very similar when I tried there earlier.  Offline, offline...

throw the ball

jejejjeje (:

Did a bit driving, crashed a couple of times - survived without relogging.

Then the third crash...  Bingo Strait, Barbarossa (7, 512, 145)      ... 512, eh? :smileytongue:

Rotating in the sky upside down.  Small island below in the right corner.
Weeee....  :)    ˙˙˙ǝǝǝǝʍ   :)

Upside-down.jpg

I right clicked the vehicle to see what happens.
Bang the vehicle vanished, my coordinates now: Bingo Strait, Barbarossa (1, 0, 1)

I tried to TP to nearby region, no luck this time. Had to relog. :matte-motes-crying:

16 wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Very odd then. I gave the owners the URL of this thread and maybe they decided you that deserved the gold cup
:)

if the Starchild owners reading here. or if you can chat them again Phil. then be best that they change it back to: can win the gold cup for yourself if your distance is = to the top score

will discourage people if is not. like when is gold and silver and bronze all exact same then cant win anything. or only a silver. that be disheartening I think for people who came later on

I think gold cup is important to give to new/later on people. so they can take a pic. and know that for now this time today. i am the winner

so is better to put the latest person on the gold cup and move everyone down one. when eventual fall off the podium is ok I think. can always go back and do again if we want 

+

we know was Hugsy made it first. and he knows. and we got the pics on here to proof it forever if anyone ever needs to wonder and wants to find out who was the first

maybe the owners can honour Hugsy. by making a little mini diamond/platinum cup and put on the cabinet next to the big cups. can say on it that Hugsy was the inaugural winner of the Starchild drivers rally. be really nice if they done that i think

I got an IM from one of the owners and the other one successfully set it up somewhere else. She said that he (the other one) wants to make some changes and then we can have the whole thing to do with what we want. I said there's no rush because a break now will probably cause more enthusiasm later when it starts again.

She also suggested that, if we have a car we prefer, it could be used instead of the 5 year old one. personally, I like the current one but a few people have mentioned that it could be better.

I hope they read this far into the thread, so they know the thoughts being expressed. But I'd be very happy with the system as it is. If we do get it, then we can make our own 'legend' thing for Hugsy :)

Incidentally, Hugsy wasn't the first to reach the farpoint. The creator did it - but he also admitted cheating a bit because he didn't suffer the disappearing car like we have, so it really was Hugsy :)

Coby Foden wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Maybe the dowm sims was why you were crashing all over the place. There were lots today but it was because of the rolling restarts. When I went through Blakes Sea, with no problems, there weren't any down sims in that area.

Coby Foden wrote:

Funny, I just went there again to check.  The world map lies, it seems to be very slow to update.  I'm on a sim which is supposed to be offline according to the world map.

Oh well...

I found that - map not updating. I had 2 avatars in, each with the map open. At one point, the first one had loads of down sims, but the other didn't. I  relogged the first one to get an up to date map.

Coby Foden wrote:

Did a bit driving, crashed a couple of times - survived without relogging.

Then the third crash...  Bingo Strait, Barbarossa (7, 512, 145)      ... 512, eh? :smileytongue:

Rotating in the sky upside down.  Small island below in the right corner.

Weeee.... 
   ˙˙˙ǝǝǝǝʍ  

Upside-down.jpg

I right clicked the vehicle to see what happens.

Bang the vehicle vanished, my coordinates now: Bingo Strait, Barbarossa (1, 0, 1)

I tried to TP to nearby region, no luck this time. Had to relog. :matte-motes-crying:

I had plenty of that in my early days of using it. It included only being able to close the viewer via the Task Manager. I posted about it in this thread. But you get used to driving that car and it gets better.

Early yesterday, I told 16 that it me takes roughly 20 attempts for each time I get near the far end of the course. It was probably 15 to 20 goes. And it got wearisome. Since then I've been getting there much more frequently. I almost expect to get there now.. It gets better with practise. Near the start of the thread, i posted that I've given up, precisely for what you described. Go back and read the first page or three and you'll see it.

You've got to be determined to keep beating your personal best distance - keep checking it when you've gone further than before so you can make a note when you crash. And before too long, you'll be near to completing the course, and not long after that, you'll have done it. So keep at it, Coby :)

16 wrote:

if the Starchild owners reading here. or if you can chat them again Phil. then be best that they change it back to: can win the gold cup for yourself if your distance is = to the top score

I'd be ok with that.  A couple of other choices would be to rank by distance and time or to periodically wipe the scores.

16 wrote:

maybe the owners can honour Hugsy. by making a little mini diamond/platinum cup and put on the cabinet next to the big cups. can say on it that Hugsy was the inaugural winner of the Starchild drivers rally. be really nice if they done that i think

:matte-motes-big-grin-squint:  That would be cute, but unnecessary. 

Phil Deakins wrote:

I got an IM from one of the owners and the other one successfully set it up somewhere else. She said that he (the other one) wants to make some changes and then we can have the whole thing to do with what we want. I said there's no rush because a break now will probably cause more enthusiasm later when it starts again.

She also suggested that, if we have a car we prefer, it could be used instead of the 5 year old one. personally, I like the current one but a few people have mentioned that it could be better.

I hope they read this far into the thread, so they know the thoughts being expressed. But I'd be very happy with the system as it is.

same. I like the car. once you get used to the handling then it goes good. is like a sportscar in that way. not a town car. you really have to concentrate or it will kill you

only things I would like changed are:

1) the base prim. so is a cut flatten sphere. just so it not snags as much on the old prim roads joins

2) if the XY align could be looked at. so if we have to Dump Scripted Camera then the normal camera view be pointing in same direction

3) leave the car on no-modify. is better we cant edit/lift our way out of trouble. if crash a banline then to bad. if end up upside down in a hole then to bad. shouldnt have driven into it in the first place. also if can edit then is temptation to start edit/lifting over all kinds of things

4) the exhaust. i like the flame burners. so we can have them. is just the particle smoke. is why I think I got a parcel ban. was a sim where was a rentals. I went back later to check it out

i think the owner saw me lost it on the road and I end up cartwheel all over their land. they been there a long time rental home community. is really nice sim. and they struggling now these days to rent the properties. so I think they got a tiny bit miffed to see me all over their properties billowing big clouds of particle smoke all over the place

is not a biggie from our pov but can be from the landowners pov. I rather do as much as we can to minimize upset anyone. last thing we need is for parcel owners to start putting up more banlines. bc we not being sensitive to them

add: bc I forgot

5) this car auto-deletes as soon as you stand or get unseated. when you stand needs to be a delay before the car deletes itself. my board has this grace period in it. same a lot of other vehicles. 2 or 3 mins I think be about right

bc sometimes when you get unsit from a vehicle on a sim crossing then when is no insta-delete then can find your vehicle and resit.  be good to do be able. is not like you hit a banline or fell in a hole this

also sometimes can crash out the viewer. so have to relog. then when relog can find your vehicle and get back on. sometimes cant find. but quite often you can

5a) a sim shouter receiver be good as well. like /7 hello

and if your car can hear you then it IM you and say: am here at simname (x,y,z) come quick. [1:16] minutes until delete

something like that maybe 

Hugsy Penguin wrote:

16 wrote:

I'd be ok with that.  A couple of other choices would be to rank by distance and time or to periodically wipe the scores.

the main drawback with time is that those with big network connections and fast computeres who live closest to the servers always win

I was chat to a SL horse track racing guy about 2 or 3 weeks ago now. they got the same problem. they breed and race SL horses. is huge money involved. like $L250,000 for the big cup race. and lots of other races as well

is also huge offworld sidebets going on as well. realworld betting in the 100s of US$

has reached the point now that bc he not live in USA that he have to hire a top USA jockey to ride for him now. even tho he got the best breed racing horses in all SL he cant ride them himself anymore bc of the USA jockeys

the whole SL jockey/racer thing going professional. they get paid to ride. and get a cut of the prize pool as well. exact same as RL jockey

+

I think is about just drive and try beat your last score like Phil said. and try reach the finish line. and when you do then get your name on the board/podium. just to say that you actual complete and can take a pic of your achievement

be nice if you got a ribbon as well tho :)

this just for this style of racing. so any one can do at any time suits them

+

later on maybe can make other kinds of races. I wouldnt mind doing a mystery rally. where you have to go to different places and get a clue for where might be the next place to go

that be quite fun I think

I don't think he had improvements to the car in mind, 16. That'll be why we could have it use our own vehicle. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone has a vehicle that would be suitable. However, I think me might make the change the base prim so that it curves slightly. There is a small section on my route where the car gets stopped if you're on the wrong side of the road, due to the poor way that the road prims were put together.

Earlier it was suggested that there is a top 10 or top 20. I think that would be good.

I don't see any particle smoke, so it's never a problem. When I'm doing the challenge, I set my viewer down to low graphics and the particles disappear. With your broadband speed perhaps it would help a little if you did the same. The water doesn't look good but it might help.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I don't think he had improvements to the car in mind, 16. That'll be why we could have it use our own vehicle.

Earlier it was suggested that there is a top 10 or top 20. I think that would be good.

I don't see any particle smoke, so it's never a problem. When I'm doing the challenge, I set my viewer down to low graphics and the particles disappear. With your broadband speed perhaps it would help a little if you did the same. The water doesn't look good but it might help.

the particles about the parcel owners. is them what see it spewing all over their places if we go over them. I just think would be better for them if they not on the car at all

yes ok about the car maker. I not really want to impose on anyone. was just thinking about how it could be improved

am going to think about it. I havent made anything at all since I been back SL this time. i maybe will make a car. last time i made a scooter. is not hard to make a vehicle. the linden free script has all the basic in it. i will get and see how to mod it i think

am useless at texturing tho. cant make mesh or sculpts either. so i just make stuff out of prim boxes. plywood ones (: 

is in the Library \ Objects folder

is called Kart 1.0

can rez and drive it. is the original Ben Linden script in it. can mod as you like. even copy/pasta into your own script. bc is a tutorial of the basics

if you thought the hovercar was hard to drive then this one is manic. jejjejee (:

but the principles are the same. and all the base code in there. just have to mod the vehicle params to suit

can learn all them here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Vehicle_Tutorial

+

Jeff Heaton made a basic boat script here: http://www.free-lsl-scripts.com/cgi/freescripts.plx?ID=1511

can see how the water part is a lttle bit different to a ground vehicle. so can learn how from this one codewise

Hi Everyone,

Muds from Starchild Cafe here. Together with Elysian Millfields, we're responsible for the bumpercar challenge competition thingy on Sistiana.

The scoring and distance measuring script was kinda krufty and I had a little (cough) tidying up to do, but it's now in good enough shape that we can drop a copy anywhere on the grid. Elysian and I are currently looking at a couple of small plots on other continents where we can put the trophies/bumpercar rezzer. When that happens, I'll post here with the location.

We are also happy to come and put them on other people's land if anyone would like that (within reason, we're not gonna flood the grid with the damn things:). Due to a couple of limitations we are not able to give the system out, it has to stay owned by Elysian.

Also, as a few people have noticed, as the scripting currently stands, if someone manages the maximum possible score, then later someone else also manages it, the first person gets bumped out of top spot. I'm seeking input on whether this is desirable behaviour?

Keep it simple - I don't have a real lot of time to sink into anything too grandiose, but I'm willing to consider requests for simple modifications.

Muds 

Hi Muds. Good to see you here :)

My view on the next maximum scorer knocking the previous maximum scorer off the top spot is that it's a good thing and not a bad thing. As it is now, it means that, even if the top 3 places are filled with maximum scorers, anyone else can still get on the podium. If it were the other round, and the top 3 places were filled with maximum scores, nobody else can get on the podium. It means that there's still some play left if 3 maximum scores are on the podium.

I think it would be great if you were the ones who planted the start points instead of us. I also think it would be great if there were two or three on the go. Having said that, the ground underneath my store offers 2 very long distances, and I'd be happy to host one there. For anyone who doesn't know where it is, it's in the Seymour sim, so there's a very long distance going south and an even longer one going northeast.

I like the car as it is but 16 mentioned something very easy that would improve things a little. Is it possible to change the bottom prim from flat to slightly rounded. The flat prim causes the car to stop where prims meet on roads that haven't been put together very well. It's not important but I think it would be a quick and easy change to make.

One more thing. If it's quick and easy to have top 10 leaderboard as well as the gold silver and bronze placings, climbing up the leaderboard would add to the fun. If it would take too much of your time, it doesn't matter.

Finally, please set a new start point as soon as you like. I'm raring to go :)

I'm just an observer; haven't even visited the location yet (let alone attempted a start) but I did want to comment. I have been following this thread all along, and all kudos to you and to Elysian for putting this whole thing together. This is a perfect example of why I love Second Life so much: a couple of clever people have an idea, implement it, and make it available just because they can. Next thing you know a diverse group of near strangers has become almost a club, and a script has become an event.

Cheers!:smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4138 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.