if you could speak to the managment of sl what would you say.

Jonas Bakalava

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been in sl a pretty long time. I basically think it has stagnated to the point it is merely coasting precariously on the coat-tails of Philip Linden. You still can't teleport succesfully all the time, sim crossings are still messed up, the avitars are more and more grossly outdated by todays standards, lag is absolutely horrible, online shopping is a joke since nothing rezzes, servers are grossly inadequate, there is no support for clubs to make the experience for people better, losses of things you buy is huge with no attempt to get them back, and despite the terrible economy no attempt whatsoever is made to roll back  extremely exhorbitant  tiers, making people sacrificing dearly to aviod losing their sims. The situation with animations was always dreadful with more flaws in the interface than you can shake a stick at,  and now, with shortened times and  undefined limits the scenario is positively dreadful, and despite implementing mesh no effort whatsoever has been made to make better avitars with full facial expressions of full hand and finger motions possible.  Despite the thongs of complaints, dresses on girls STILL  make them look like rhinos.  Can't you even do some simple thing to fix this or the skimpy area between the legs with so few polygons making clothing bleen practically to the knees???? The long and short of it is that sl without its founder has completely lost its fire and now the management seems content with just putting tinsel on the christmas tree with nothing under it and milking sl simply as a cash cow. Probably pleases the stock holders, but what about your customers? you know, the ones that pay the bills????

As a lover of Sl and all i believe it can be, i am very discouraged at what Second Life has become. I dont know whether there are any people at all  who share my frustration, but if there are some i wish you all would collectively let your voices be heard to the managment  that we expect more and demand more for our money. I would encourage those who are in charge of this company to reinstill the fire and passion that brought this company to life to make it what it is, and to dream bigger and ro look far beyond to the future full of exciting and wonderful possibilities and exciting changes.

I would tell them not to introduce any new features until the fix all the things that have been broken, some of them for years.

While I generally agree with your list, there are two things on it that probably won't happen even if you could talk to management and they listened.

The first is an updated avatar.  This has been discussed many times on the forum.  The problem is that the avatar is based on the old Poser 2.  If they update the entire avatar to today's standards, all the content that is for avatars would break.  Animations would no longer work right and all clothes would no longer fit, Basically everyone would have to start over and replace most everything in their inventory that they have for their avatar and merchants would have to start over and rebuild their entire stock.  This would anger most people, especially people that have been around a while, because who has thousands and thousands of lindens to spend on buying everything all over again, or the time to rebuild your entire stock if you are a merchant?  Perhaps they could fix hands and feet so they look a lot better and also change things so the face could be animated though. 

The second thing is no support for clubs.  LL is a business and they are not in the business of helping others with their business. It also isn't fair if LL gives special deals or cash incentives to clubs and not to other busineses either.  The old business model of a club supported by a mall is no longer working well as most shopping is done on MP and in world merchants are struggling to pay the tiers on their main store and don't have the money or incentive anymore to rent in malls.   Clubs are going to have to come up with a new business model on their own or people that want to see them continue are going to have to be willing to give up the notion that they are entitled to be entertained for free.  Everyone needs to either voluntarily and without fail tip the house generously each time they go or club owners may have to charge a cover fee.  Sure there are some clubs now that are owned by people who are willing to foot all the expenses out of their own pockets just because they enjoy having a club and those will be around as long as these people are.  However the variety of types of clubs we have now is going to decrease if the situation continues as it is now, as mall rentals are getting harder and harder to sustain.

At the risk of rattling your cage further ... I disagree. I've been in SL quite a while and it's ten shades better than it was when I started.  I fondly remember arriving from a TP with no hair and one shoe stuck up my posterior.  Ah the cut and thrust of not knowing whether the grid would be up or down and those times when it was down and we all had to go and do housework instead.  How clearly I recall the scary realisation that there were in excess of 15,000 avatars logged in and the certainty that the grid would be crashing at least 6 times that evening as a result.  SL improves continually but it's necessary to keep up in terms of skills and hardware.  Funnily enough I did once meet a Linden by sheer chance when I was wandering around a premium build, he was very pleasant, we had a nice polite chat and then he gave me a present (in true SL fashion, don't we always exchange gifts with each other), it made my day and the present is one of my greatest treasures.  If you dislike SL so much why not play something else? 

I would say:

Thanks for choosing to work here.

As a Resident, and Artist, it is my job to complicate matter. In the course of a day, in pursuit of ever complex builds, I have both loved, and hated the company you work for.

In some areas of SL management, there has been a consistent pattern, of inconsistency.   Just when it appears that SL is back on track, little things change; like CEO's.

Why did you choose to work here?

How much can you bench? Now try Russian style...!

Where are the Oompa Loompa?

When is lunch?

Can I pee in this?

I would say start LISTENING; and those offering criticism are far more important to listen to than those heeping praise onto them. Praise won't fix things, praise won't bring improvements, praise won't take SL to the next level. A business should always be looking to improve. To those who think this is great... I'd ask why is it Linden Labs isn't proud to share it's quarterly reports as they once were to show us this thriving, growing community?

GREAT question Jonas!

Amethyst Jetaime wrote: "I would tell them not to introduce any new features until the fix all the things that have been broken, some of them for years."

I can not agree more.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote: "The problem is that the avatar is based on the old Poser 2.  If they update the entire avatar to today's standards, all the content that is for avatars would break.  Animations would no longer work right and all clothes would no longer fit,"

Well, there is an old saying here in Germany: "You should not ask the frogs, if you want to drain the pond."
Seriously, the time is overly ripe for a new avatar model, the current one is so outdated, it's not funny anymore.
However, since the rendering/texturing happens at the client side, it is no problem running the old and the new avatar parallel, users will move to the new model as updates for accessories become available.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote: "The second thing is no support for clubs. "

I do think, Jonas meant the technical side, not financially subsidizing the clubs. There is a thread on the server forum about problems during larger events and a good running club is practically a permanently running larger event.
http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Increase-in-Instant-SIM-LAG-amp-Crashes-During-Larger-Events/td-p/1683765

Already ten pages and the problems aren't fixed, only morphed into new effects.

I really don't think I am hearing anything being said here that we have not all heard 101 times over and over again.

What we have here is a vocal minority.

There is no way that you could convince me that the issues stated here have not been harped on for years and that Linden Lab is not aware of them.

The cost of land (tier) is a hard to discuss because it is strictly an Economic Issue.  People want to say that if Land Prices went down, Land ownership would go up and the higher sales volume would result in a net gain for LL.  There is the potential that the resulting increase in infrastructure costs could create a wash out or even have a negative impact.  Taxes are usually always higher in the City.  There is a reason for that. 

None of us have the numbers in order to be able to crunch this.  At best all we have are guesses.

Second Life was built upon "Your World, Your Imagination."

New features are cool, but they are really only helpful if people can enjoy them. 

Lag, SIM crossings and Grid security should be the three primary concerns if they are not.  I know that the first two are getting attention.  It's that third issue that appears dead in the water.  Response time to griefer attacks has to be swift and decisive.  It shouldn't take weeks to get a self replicating cube removed from a SIM.  That is just nuts.

I've been on SL since 2007, and I've seen amazing progress. THAT being said, if I could beg for one thing, it would be to make the cost of purchasing a sim and monthly tier cheaper by half. As a sim owner, I'm skating on the edge of shutdown every month. Countless great sims are no longer there because of the prohibitive cost.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3657 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.