Oldbies can be total newbies too ;-)

Coby Foden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today I met a guy, account age 5 years 10 months.
However his looks were like a newbie, just born.
We had a short chat (name changed to Oldbie Newbie):

Oldbie Newbie: hi
Coby Foden: Hello
Oldbie Newbie: how r u?
Coby Foden: Fine thanks. How are you?
Oldbie Newbie: fine too
Coby Foden: Wow. You're older than I am. You don't log in often?
Oldbie Newbie: no. really is my second time
Coby Foden: I log in almost every single day. Over five years.
Oldbie Newbie: wow. i need learn more about this
Coby Foden: I thinks so too, if this is only your second time here.
Oldbie Newbie: yea. it exist a manual or something ?
Coby Foden: Have you updated your viewer recently?
Oldbie Newbie: o yea. today install it
Coby Foden: Ok. Good. Excellent.
Coby Foden: There is Destination Guide. Good info about nice places to visit.
Oldbie Newbie: ok
Coby Foden: https://secondlife.com/destinations?lang=en-US
Oldbie Newbie: copied. good. thanks
Coby Foden: Ok. Just visit places what might interest you. You get an idea how Second Life looks now.
Oldbie Newbie: thanks

So, if one is old, looks like a newbie, one can indeed be a newbie, irrespective of the account age.
Not some oldbie who had been lazy to go shopping and find something nice to wear.

newbie-oldbie.jpg

/me wonders why there always is some suitable picture in the net for what ever we chat in the forums?
:smileysurprised: :smileytongue:

A friend managed to convince her RL husband to visit SL with her now and then. Got an account with the same last name and everything and of course they're partnered here as well. He only visits for special occasions; I bet he hasn't been inworld a half dozen times in more than two years. It's pretty funny, because he's quite the noob even though he has a fairly well aged rez date and she did help him get his avatar looking good.

This is actually more common than most would think. I have run into older residents a lot in my Club running days that didn't know what to do and were 3 or 4 years old in SL some even older than me... They either haven't logged in in years . Or they just only logged in a couple times and never hung around... I think there is a lot of them that are simply lost as what to do or how to get involved with in SL. So they leave and then venture again several years later...

That's that percentage of lost users who never got shown what to do or how to do it

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

This is actually more common than most would think. I have run into older residents a lot in my Club running days that didn't know what to do and were 3 or 4 years old in SL some even older than me... They either haven't logged in in years . Or they just only logged in a couple times and never hung around... I think there is a lot of them that are simply lost as what to do or get involved with in SL. So they leave and then venture again several years later...

That's that percentage of lost users who never got shown what to do or how to do it

Ditto that.  Early last year I was telling a friend I met in Everquest about SL.  He said he had created an account years ago but rezzed into some area with nothing there except a naked man speaking French. Not finding anything to do he left, never to return until I encouraged him to try again.

He told me what his avatar name was and rezzed in at least once last year.  We were going to meet up so I could re-introduce him to SL but some RL stuff happened and we never had the opportunity, then I quit playing EQ and we lost touch. :(

I was surprised to look up his (completely blank) profile to see that he had initially joined SL earlier than I had.

Created my first account in 2006. Lasted about 4 hours due to an event. But it was during the great gray bug so I wrongly assumed my then computer could not run SL.

Came back in 2009... I was effectly a 3 year old day one nooblet. And ran into a whole army of those "free for people under 30 days" offers... :P

It does surprise me when I meet old noobs, but not too much since it was my own experience.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

A friend managed to convince her RL husband to visit SL with her now and then. Got an account with the same last name and everything and of course they're partnered here as well. He only visits for special occasions; I bet he hasn't been inworld a half dozen times in more than two years. It's pretty funny, because he's quite the noob even though he has a fairly well aged rez date and she did help him get his avatar looking good.

That is very correct; I can probably count on one hand the number of times Zeke has been inworld with me. His account is 2 years old and it's been well over a year since the last time he logged in. :matte-motes-crying: 

But lucky for me, he logs into RL with me every single day. :matte-motes-inlove:

Quinn Morani wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

That is very correct; I can probably count on one hand the number of times Zeke has been inworld with me. His account is 2 years old and it's been well over a year since the last time he logged in. :matte-motes-crying: 

But lucky for me, he logs into RL with me every single day. :matte-motes-inlove:

Ha. Lucky for him would be more accurate. I doubt he'd argue with that :-).

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

. And ran into a whole army of those "free for people under 30 days" offers...
:P

Which reminds me of something I've wondered about for years---why are there age limits on so many of the offers of free samples.  It seems to me that their purpose is to acquaint people with a creator's products, so that they will like them and buy more.  Why don't they want to acquaint old avatars who are not familiar with them with them for the same reason?  If anything, I think old ones are more likely to spend money on more if they like them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.