change to lovein for the olds (:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i read quite a lot of SL related blogs. on some of them (not many thank goodness just some) that make social commentaries then every now and again the blogger will make a swipe at the forums

it usual goes something like:

sl forums !!! do anyone still go on them ??? lol !!! i never go on them bc any time i do then is only ever smug people on there who like to be a big floppy fish in a tiny puddle. and i never see them in SL hardly ever. not like me !!!

it cracks me up this bc is the smuggiest thing you can ever say

+

what really cracks me up the most tho is that lots of their earnest blog articles are about community-building

jejejejeje (:

+

is lots of really good SL bloggers who do write really good insightful articles and are way worth reading

but some are really funny in this weirdo off the wall kinda way. like there is funny haha and then is funny peculiar

I'm impressed the person knew about the forums.  I mention the forums to some of my friends and/or people I encounter in SL and get a blank stare or, "SL has forums????"

What gave me a chuckle was the - I never see the (forum) people in SL.  Regardless of the shrinking number of estates, SL is still a huge place.  If I usually go to a, b, c in SL and someone else goes to x, y, z - we can both be in world 24/7 and never run into each other...lol.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

What gave me a chuckle was the - I never see the (forum) people in SL.  Regardless of the shrinking number of estates, SL is still a huge place.  If I usually go to a, b, c in SL and someone else goes to x, y, z - we can both be in world 24/7 and never run into each other...lol.

I've spend whole days sitting on my plot of land inside my SL home and never seen you inworld. Obviously you never log in. :P

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I've spend whole days sitting on my plot of land inside my SL home and never seen you inworld. Obviously you never log in.
:P

Hey now!  I spend a good part of most days 4000m up in my SL sky home or building platform.  Where are you? Hmmmmmm???  I'd say it's you who's not logging in. ;)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Why, you could even live on the same continent as somebody but still never run into them inworld!:smileywink:

There is, I think, a bit of truth the idea if you apply it to my.secondlife.com (the Feed). There have been some rather frequent commenters there that seem to have just happened across the place on the internet and do not appear to have ever gone inworld. I distinctly remember seeing someone who had posted a bunch of times actually ask what 'inworld' meant, which reminded me of that ancient chainsaw joke.

The statement you refer to cracks me up too. Generally its a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I could care less what they think and could easily say that I never see any bloggers in world either because I don't.  Actually if I did I more than likely would run the other way.:smileywink:

While I agree there are some bloggers that write informative and useful articles, there are also a lot of smug and pretentious bloggers who hold themselves out as experts on things that they are no more expert at than anyone else.  They mistake opinions for facts and/or wish to impose their own personal tastes on the entire SL world.   Just as anyone can post on the forums, anyone can write a blog, having one or posting here doesn't make you or your thoughts or opinions any more valuable than any one else.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Why, you could even live on the same continent as somebody but still never run into them inworld!:smileywink:

Indeed so.  I travel a lot in SL.  My favourite things to do are exploring places what I have never seen before and go sailing, often routes what I have not sailed earlier.

Yet, the only person here in the forums of whom I've seen a quick glimpse twice, far away, is 16.

The rest - hmm... are you all building stuff high up in the sky or what?  Hiding? ashamed.gif  :matte-motes-wink:

Anyway, looking at the world map zoomed all out one can get an idea how very vast SL is.

Easy to play hide and seek (for the hiding one).  100 per cent guaranteed that the seeker will have no luck.

So, accidentally bumping into somebody one knows is very rare thing to happen.

What I find strange is that none of my inworld contacts show no interest at all to the forums.

For me both inworld and the forums are interesting.  They kind of complement each other.

I know exactly what you mean about inworld friends not being at all interested in the Forum (I took your meaning to be people you'd met inworld independent of any Forum conversation: I have inword friends I 'met' first here and I'm sure you do as well). I've even pointed a few to posts and threads I thought they'd find interesting but so far none have gotten 'into' this. I did have one non-Forum friend actually POST something to a thread of mine but that was only fair since the OP described a long-ago event at one of her gigs.

I came here to look for answers, stayed to watch the conversations, and eventually got hooked on the interchange of thoughts. Informative. Fun.

Edited to add what I meant to add to the first comment. It IS rare to see someone you know in SL outside of the places you normally see them. It's only happened to me a handful of times but it is a treat when it does. It's sort of like walking through the airport in a strange city and seeing someone you know from another place also walking through the airport (that's happened to me, too, which is why I compare the SL experience).

Coby Foden wrote:

What I find strange is that none of my inworld contacts show no interest at all to the forums.

For me both inworld and the forums are interesting.  They kind of complement each other.

I have the same experience, Coby.  I'm sure my friends are tired of my "There is a current forum thread on <xyz>" comments when an issue comes up in conversations.  You can hear crickets chirping.  The only comments I've received on why there is no interest in the SL forums are: "I don't do forums" and "The forums just contain a lot of negativity."  Perhaps...but a whole heck of a lot of info too!!!!!

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Edited to add what I meant to add to the first comment. It IS rare to see someone you know in SL outside of the places you normally see them. It's only happened to me a handful of times but it is a treat when it does. It's sort of like walking through the airport in a strange city and seeing someone you know from another place also walking through the airport (that's happened to me, too, which is why I compare the SL experience).

Something interesting I encountered twice in one week: running into someone with whom I had minor interaction years ago.  The two times were:

1.  Was invited to a small family-type club by a new friend.  The owner of the club had a familiar-looking name, but I couldn't place her.  I mentioned this in general chat and she began listing places she used to hang out at and turns out we were both regulars back in 2007/2008 at a similar small family-type club owned by a mutual friend who is no longer in SL.

2.  Was invited (seeing a trend here?) to a wedding reception for a friend who married RL her SL partner.  It was held on a Medieval rp sim in which the couple participates.  HUGE turnout of their friends, none of which I knew since I'd met this person while taking an in-world Spanish class and our friendship grew out of having met there.  As is the case with most of my SL friends, I meet them (wherever) - we become friends - but I'm not in any "circles" in which they participate, thus I have many SL friends, but none of them are connected in any way to the others.

Anyway, while I'm standing around waiting for my friend & new husband to arrive, I spot a woman who I met in 2007.  She was a customer at the club I then worked at.  My father had just been dx with stage 4 throat cancer * and, while reading profiles of customers at the club, I noticed she participated in RFL (which I'd never heard of) and was part of a cancer caregiver group.  It was through my IMing her that I became involved in RFL.  I had not seen her since that time.  It was a pleasure to speak with her again.

*My father is now 5 years cancer free!!!!!

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Ah, well then if we hadn't met here we might have met through RFL; this year will be my third in SL's version. Great news on your father, too. Five years is a big milestone. My survivor is going to hit year 15 this spring and we'll be at RFL in RL not long after :-).

Woot!!!!  So happy for your survivor as well!!!!  But even if we are both at RFL, as huge as that has become and with so many teams, the odds are less of us meeting that way than by meeting on the forums, I think.  Either way, glad we met. :)

I never meet any forum users inworld unless it's actually arranged, and nothing has been arranged for years. I may be mistaken,. but I think the last arranged meeting was with that girl who was gathering names of sims where bots were - that incredibly funny thread from RA times. I did meet Qie once, when he posted that he'd broken the mainland, and I had to have a look. I'd be very happy to meet some of you but it never happens.

timezone the main thing for me. on my evening when i am on the most then most of USA and Europe either going to bed. getting up. or still snoozing

sometimes i can play during my daytime but only for a short time each time bc i have to do other things RL

is actual ok most times my evening. bc is the lowest number of people on the grid at that time. so hardly ever see anyone where i go the most on my board. so not so laggy. is same shopping so is quite good as well

Czari Zenovka wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I've spend whole days sitting on my plot of land inside my SL home and never seen you inworld. Obviously you never log in.
:P

Hey now!  I spend a good part of most days 4000m up in my SL sky home or building platform.  Where are you? Hmmmmmm???  I'd say it's you who's not logging in.
;)

Wait a minute!  I'm usually on a building platform and 4000m up....and I never see you?!    

*frowns suspiciously at Czari*

Phil Deakins wrote:

I never meet any forum users inworld unless it's actually arranged, and nothing has been arranged for years
. I may be mistaken,. but I think the last arranged meeting was with that girl who was gathering names of sims where bots were - that incredibly funny thread from RA times. I did meet Qie once, when he posted that he'd broken the mainland, and I had to have a look. I'd be very happy to meet some of you but it never happens.

Hmm.....there's this thing:    http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Upcoming-Events-and-Activities/A-Forum-Dwellers-Party-Redux-Hippiestock-3/td-p/1584437

*laughing* 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.