Avatar Physics - how does it work?

Alfred Twine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I would like to understand how avatar physics works, in a functional sense. Specifically the following:

1. When using a physics-enabled viewer (which are those exactly?) (as observer) do you (the subject) need any physics attachments, shape, etc.?

2. What is the difference between what the physics-subject sees and what the observers see and how does this depend on viewers and attachments?

3. I understand from another thread that now the subjects are in control of what the observers see.... Is this true for all viewers?

4. Is there any chance that physics wil come to the male sex organ?

Thanks for enlightening me!

Alfred Twine

There were two implementations of this feature, the old unofficial one and the newer, officlal one. At this point, nearly everybody can use the official version. Some people still use viewers that can also use the unofficial stuff, but mostly we can think of unofficial as something people used in the past.

For the old unofficial version, it was something you could enable on your own viewer, and every avatar you saw was affected the same way, with the same settings. Other people would only see it the same if they happened to use the same settings on their own viewers. It was not something that avatars could opt out of.

On the official version that just about everyone has access to now, each avatar can wear optional physics wearables that include the amount of bounce. These wearables are not prims, they are closer to shapes or skins, just lists of numbers. If you don't want your avatar to bounce at all, simply don't wear one. Then, everybody else's viewer receives these numbers and can display the bounces for each avatar in more or less the same way. It is still possible to turn off the avatar physics feature completely on each viewer, if people don't want to see this at all.

I don't think that the guys will get dangly bits any time soon, just because that's not a built in part of the avatar mesh. Possible future avatar features like custom skeltons could change this some day but don't hold your breath waiting (unless you're into that kind of thing >_>).

One caveat: The avatar physics are extremely dependent on client performance, since they're a client-side effect. If someone with a slow PC goes to a busy venue, they tend to see quite some out-of-control bouncing and flouncing.

Or in other words, what you see isn't necessarily what everyone else sees.

• 7 months later...

Avi physics is a layer you wear like skin. They can be made with varying amounts of physics in different categories. Things like bounce, sway, drag, gravity etc on individual body parts like the chest butt and tummy. 

This layer of physics only effects the system body and not the attachments. As male gender parts are attachments at this time the only way they will have physics is if the maker scripts it into the prims. the system physics we wear as the layer only effects the system body.

Since everyone was required to update their viewers for the server side baking then anyone with the SL viewer will have physics capability. i also know the firestorm viewer does as well but i don't use any other viewers so i can't answer for them. 

The physics layer you choose to wear is how you can control how others see your avi physics to an extent but, the individuals graphics setting for physics and their computer capabilities limit this control. You could wear the bounciest physics possible but if a person has their slider down to nothing it wont show for them. 

So wear a physics layer you like and test it on the highest graphic setting to make sure what someone set high sees wont be more than you wish, then put the setting back how you want yours to be. Its really all you can do since you cant control other peoples computers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.