Possible to build above rented land and return later?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently I was invited to a space and I bookmarked the spot and noticed it was listed as land for rent.  Upon returning to the area I was surprised that it was a totally different place.  After being invited there a second time and using the view feature I realized it was way up in the air.

As someone new to SL my question is that, is it possible someone rented the land and then built this place far up in the sky, then after the rent expired is able to still use it?  Does this sound like someone doing something wrong (assuming this is possible) or am I missing something?  It seems to be rented spaces would get reset after the rental expired but this has me really curious.

what usually happens when somebody stops renting (or gets kicked out ) is the owner/leaser will return all items owned by the previous to the library via "object return" and so this would be difficult. Depending on where you saw the rent box, it may have been on a boarder to another property and therefore not belonged to that property at all. skyboxes can somtimes hang over the fence into someone else property as well. Also, returning to a different place may just mean that the owner has changed the TP area so that you are redirected to there prefered TP in. I hope this is clear enough, but i am sure there will also be a million others to repeat what i have said, and/or add to. good luck and i hope you enjoy your experience

As wiked said, it is possible that the skybox overhung someone's property.

It also possible that the person living in the skybox is squatting, however the people who have rented the land would  or will notice that when they look at their land tools prim count and see prims they don't own on the land.  Then the person will be probably be evicted.

It is also possible that the person with the skybox is subleasing from the people that rented the property, or that the people on the ground are leasing from the person in the skybox.

I assume when you first went there you were tp'd by whoever invited you.  You would have then landed by that person.  If you took a landmark and came back again however, you would land wherever the TP point was set by the tenant or landlord.  So that is not unusual.

Land ownership in SL is based on the X and Y coordinates (west-east, north-south), and extends from a height of 0 up to 4096. Technically it goes up forever, but you can't build above 4096.

So its common to see builds in the sky.

People who rent their land sometimes will rent a 'box' at varying heights... kind of annoying because it meants the tenants are stacked on top of each other and have to share some settings - like music and media.

If a place does not set an 'auto-return' things can remain there even after ownership changes. Likewise with rentals, if the owner doesn't bother to clean up a spot after people leave - it can remain.

Seeing people build over other people's land is also quite common - though in the last year they've given us tools to easily remove such things, it still happens - especially if the owner never comes by to check.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4099 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.