Statistics bar - what's Net time??

Morenda Aljon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Every once and a while. Sometimes 4 times a day, sometimes 2 weeks not, all of the sudden my sim gets laggy.

I look at the statistic bar and it is the "Net time" in the time details that goes crazy.

Avatars can't run scripts, so they can't cause it. I think.

I can restart, or wait, limit the number of avatars..it all seems to have no effect. i deleted all what was new since we had the problem the first time. It didn't help.

No idea what to do next.

Net time is described as the time the server needs to respond to incoming messages. And that's all I could find about it.

Anyone got a clue??

As you probaly found the Statistics Bar is described at http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-improve-Viewer-performance/ta-p/1316923.

I notice that there was a specific incidence of this behaviour in the past addressed by https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7009?.  It may be worth raising a new bug in the JIRA regarding it.

I'm not too keen on that particular jira item as a match for this situation because it was supposedly fixed in May and it seems to have been related to a Physics problem, not Network per se.

There's another thread about massive sim lag (BUG-355 / MAINT-1682) that shows hugely inflated Network times (and climbing Unacked Bytes). It may be worth comparing the details of the sim statistics experienced here with those shown in some screenshots in that thread. It kinda matters because there was some hope that the problem in that thread may have been ameliorated by a crash fix Simon made shortly before the holidays, so it would be good to know if the exact same problem is still happening or if there's something different going on here. (That problem seemed to have arisen only with many avatars present and I don't know if that's the case here.)

Just in passing, I idly observed in that thread that maybe Network time gets pegged for anything that interferes with the sim scheduler. Note that this is pure speculation:

In the midst of it, I remembered that seeing high Network times does not necessarily imply a network 
cause
 for the crashes. That may be the case, but watching the Unacked Bytes climbing steadily, it's clear that those would just keep accumulating as long as the sim was stuck doing 
anything
, as long as it could still count those unacked bytes in the buffers. Similarly, if processing reported as Network time has the highest priority (likely true), it may always be the current activity for reporting for all that "stuck" time, regardless of what's actually causing the stuck state.

Morenda Aljon wrote:

Every once and a while. Sometimes 4 times a day, sometimes 2 weeks not, all of the sudden my sim gets laggy.

I look at the statistic bar and it is the "Net time" in the time details that goes crazy.

Avatars can't run scripts, so they can't cause it. I think.

I can restart, or wait, limit the number of avatars..it all seems to have no effect. i deleted all what was new since we had the problem the first time. It didn't help.

No idea what to do next.

Net time is described as the time the server needs to respond to incoming messages. And that's all I could find about it.

Anyone got a clue??

Just out of curiosity, is the sim you're seeing this at generally pretty busy, with a number of avatars around and new ones dropping in frequently, and is there a lot of mesh in the sim and/or on the avatars there? This seems to happen at some busy places and not others and it seems to affect fashionista-types or meshy places most. The framerates plummet as people arrive and slowly go back to normal once the population stabilizes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.