Crash when I get IMs

Aura Petrov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Hello,

did you test the new CHUI project viewer? It's the only one from where I've heard about similar crashes.

You should update your viewer, probably. And try if using the regular viewer helps, download it here: http://secondlife.com/support/downloads/

It could maybe help to delete your open_notifications.xml file, that's where the viewer keeps your un-read notifications, and if that file grows too large, a couple of strange bugs can be the result.

Windows 7 and Vista

The file is usually located at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SL_user. If you install Second Life in a different location, the path is different. In any case, to get to the right place:

1. In Windows Explorer, click the Start Button.
  2. In the search field (in Windows 7, it's labeled "Search programs and files" and in Windows Vista, it's labeled "Start Search"), type %appdata% and press Enter ↵.
  3. In the window that appears, open the SecondLife folder.
  4. Open the folder with your username.

Windows XP

Windows_XP_appdata.pngThe file is usually located at C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SecondLife\SL_user. If you install Second Life in a different location, the path is different. To get to the right place:

1. In Windows Explorer, click Start button.
  2. Click Run.
  3. In the Run window, type %appdata% and click OK.
  4. In the window that appears, open the SecondLife folder.
  5. Open the folder with your username.

Mac

• /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/SecondLife/SL_user

I'm not either.  I don't think I have ever heard of that happening, and I can't find any record of someone else having that experience.  Maybe it would help if you explained more about it.

Does it happen every time you try to send an IM?  Does it happen everywhere or just in one place?  When you crash, do you get an error message of any kind, or do you simply find yourself out of SL?  If you do get an error message, exactly what does it say?  Has this always happened, or is it a new behavior?  What computer are you using, and how are you connected to the Internet?  If you can tell us any of this information, or anything else that might seem helpful, we'd have a better chance of finding a solution.

Click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT to add information. Please do NOT start a new thread.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.