Churches with Services

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lifechurch.tv

In world they are Experience Island. The setup is a pretty close reproduction of the RL church campus (which I happen to live near).

It is probably the best nondenominational church you will find. They focus on life, not on how you will be going to hell if you sin (even really bad sins, like trying to run a business in SL) :matte-motes-wink:.

Mitchell Indigo wrote:

I would like to know if anyone knows of any churches that offer mass/services?  I would like for the church to be a Catholic church, but I also don't have a problem with going to a non-demonitional christian church too.  It seems hard to find a church like that in second life.

I am a member of the Anglican Cathedral of Second Life.  We have many Catholics attend since the liturgy is very similar.  It is a very warm and friendly group of people.  You can check out the website here.  Heading in world to send a lm and list of services for the week to you.  Please feel free to contact me in world. :)

As Czari says, we get a lot of Catholics at our services on Epiphany Island. You might also like to check out this possibility:

Group Notice From: Roman Catholic Virtual Diocese, Brother Valiant

The Catholic Church of Sancta Maria Mater Dei (Mother of God) in the Jupiter region is now open.  The Rosary Garden of the Blessed Virgin Mary is adjacent to the church.

Also, if you visit SpiritGate Metaverse you can find many sims offering spiritual input are listed there with telehubs. 

Helene Milena (Lay Pastor of Anglicans of SL)

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

EDIT: Apparantly we're no longer allowed to link to anything or mention anything that might be promoting anyone...

Ok, off topic a bit (sorry OP):

It seems to be random what links get removed and what not.  One of my posts was once removed where I had a link to a mesh software.  A personal message was sent to me:

"Thank you for participating in our community! However, your post, "xxxxx" was found to be in violation of Second Life Community guidelines. Please review the posting guidelines (http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official: Discussion_guidelines) Additional violations could result in a ban from the site."

Then again, I have seen lots of posts having links to software sites and to "other websites offering a service" and those posts have not been removed.

There is a sentence in TOS: "Do not reference other websites offering any product or service."  So I guess this is the thing which sometimes triggers something to remove the post.  And sometimes it does not.  Strict interpretation would suggest that any links for example to any software site would be against TOS.

That sentence is not at all clear.  For example we have lots of links to all kinds tutorial websites.  That seems to be ok.  Then a link to a mesh software website seems to be complicated thing: sometimes the post gets removed sometimes not.

Not allowing links to sites which contain software or other app downloads is common policy on many boards. When I was a mod on another board, we had that policy. Didn't matter if it was harmless or not; tomorrow it might not be, and it had to be applied uniformly. Also we didn't really want to volunteer to download and see if it had a virus or not most of the time. Lol

My bet is if a link is taken down, there is a download at the site, or maybe things for sale which they are not sure of.

I linked to an SL blog article in another post. Not to anything commercial. I linked to something on a subject others have linked to: the debate on premium versus estate. A pure analysis article with nothing commercial at all.

Here, I had linked to an SL group. But if they're defining SL blog articles on what LLs is up to as not allowed, then I can't see any link as legit anymore...

So I pulled my entire post, which talked about a couple of faith groups in SL that are very active. Some warped mind might percieve discussion what faith groups exist in SL as advertising...

• Like 1

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I linked to an SL blog article in another post. Not to anything commercial. I linked to something on a subject others have linked to: the debate on premium versus estate. A pure analysis article with nothing commercial at all.

Here, I had linked to an SL group. But if they're defining SL blog articles on what LLs is up to as not allowed, then I can't see any link as legit anymore...

So I pulled my entire post, which talked about a couple of faith groups in SL that are very active. Some warped mind might percieve discussion what faith groups exist in SL as advertising...

I was talking to Coby. Her post mentioned a link to mesh software.

Hi Mitchell, the Old Inverness High Street Church (Inverness City sim) has a church service every Sunday at 9:30am SLT.  

As the Highlands of Scotland sims are run by rl Scots, the minister is Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) but the services are very interdenominational and you'll find a few Catholics attend regularly.

Inverness City

Contact Lauraclair Benelli if you need more details.

• 3 years later...

The full answer to this is simple. 

1) Log in to Second Life using any Second Life browser.

2) Do a search for "places" and enter "Christian" (search is often opened with ctrl-F, or examine the menus for world search)

3) View all the results for yourself, visit them for yourself. 

I know those churches that appear in the top results have services, and they have their schedule available at their location in most cases.

• 1 year later...

No there aren't any Catholic masses, nor should there be.

I discussed this issue once at length with my own parish priest, I explained Second Life to him.

In order to be official and actual, the Mass and the Sacrament of the Eucharist or communion have to be non-mediated, i.e. they have to be direct and not simulated in virtuality.

Same with the Sacrament of Reconciliation or confession, it must be in real-life, not online.

The Episcopalians may be less strict about such things.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2496 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.