New Roleplay Search

Rei Kuhr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it me or is one of the biggest hindrances to finding RP now on SL the fact that a lot of the newer ones have little to no advertising? I've seen quite a few start up that I was almost unable to find on search. Many times I'd hear of an RP sim only to find out it was closing due to lack of interest which I believe is due to not enough people knowing it exists. It seems easier to find RP areas just by randomly hanging out in areas and checking group profiles. 

I think it's time for Linden Labs to overhaul their Destination guide or offer us a better resource in advertising and searching for various areas on SL.

With that said, I've been looking for some modern day city RP in SL, and a good chunk of the ones I could find were barren and/or dead. With City of Canton closing after barely a week, there's no option out there it seems. And I've tried City of Phoenix, but all four sims are often empty and the admins there are practically nonexistent (with the exception of Stacy who, bless her heart, doesn't seem to have the tools to keep it running by herself). Any suggestions?

A lot of sims are sadly short-lived. There's not much that can be done about that. The problems are that many people try to open them with too small of a staff, too little funds to stay open, and the list goes on.

But to find them, there's a group called "seeking Roleplay." Just do a search for it, open the profile and join. They regularly send notices from rp sims. It seems like that group is the main source of the advertising you're looking for. The problem is that the group itself is something that you wouldn't know to look for without being told. So I agree, more methods of advertising are definitely needed.

I can't agree with you more about advertising for these cities.  There are so many and so few ways to advertising. I think I've tried everything under the sun to advertise and spent thousands of lindens on various gimics.  But, in the end, it was word of mouth. And sometimes, it brings people you couldn't have ever imagined meeting, good and bad.  

I dont know that the role play reviews have been fair enough to accurately paint what our city is about or any city and I don't know that the other roleplay advertising gimics have proven to do much. We are also listed in the Destination Guide.  But, its so limited in what you can put there and its edited by Linden Labs.  Therefore, what you submit is altered anyways. 

We've had our share of admin issues like any operation in SL.  But, what keeps me funding this city is the "sense of hope and opportunity" many of our citizens have had when coming to Phoenix.  And rightfully so, there is great opportunity to engage in so much.  The city was built with some heart behind it.  But, as they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. If people want to roleplay then they have to do just that role play.  It takes time to build and loads of money.  Our city budget is enormous every week.  But, so is the love that has gone into building the city. 

We don't need just anyone coming to our city.  We need people who have imaginations and the desire to make those dreams become something special.  It will happen and the City of Phoenix will continue on as best as it can.  We have walked through many changes and even changes in administrators recently. The beauty of it is that the city is still there waiting for the right kind of love and care.  

Many times I have felt like walking out in frustration or giving up on it. But, I do like it there.  I like the feel of the city and the power of it's ability to rise from the ashes to which so many have tried to bring it down.  We've been tested. That is no doubt.  But, we have returned stronger each time. 

Stacey Zirgar

I'm currently facing the same situation in wanting to start up a full sim as a medieval/fantasy open home/hangout/RP. My biggest hesitation is how do I get word out? Even if I build something truely original and amazing (and lets face it...that's hard to do for someone starting out with the size of the community and the skill levels of people who've done it for years) it doesn't mean a thing if no one comes.

Word of mouth helps but it tends to follow cliques. Just make sure the area is searchable and people can search for it easily. Do everyone a favor too and don't just throw in keywords. I lose track of how many times I've been aggrivated when a search for modern or urban pulls up gorean roleplay.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.