Next logical thing for LL to work on.

solstyse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think the direction we need to go is determining what elements of SL CAN be ported to a phone-like device. Most people on SL spend a fair amount of time doing things that don't need the full constantly-updated rendered environment. For example, if I buy some clothes on the Marketplace and then put together an outfit for my avatar, I'm basically standing in one spot and dealing with one avatar. I don't see why a sub-app couldn't allow functions like that to run on a phone without needing the full simulation.

Even when I'm at a club with 50 others, a lot of the time I'm actually just chatting with friends, listening to music and researching old Davey and Goliath claymation in a separate browser (don't ask.) If I could log into the club from a phone, possibly hooking up to a pathfinding character at the club to allow me to move and keep out of other people's way, I'd be at least as "present" for everyone else while still getting the same music and chat I was there for without having to render a 3D world with 50 avatars.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

I agree with Peggy. I think she understands the problems and points I made. Moving to mobile devices is a desirable thing, but she and I beleive the cost is prohibitive and the return on investment questionable. It is too soon for the Lab to do more than plan, learn, and experiement at this point.

That's actually a very good point. TPV's do have a singificant cost advantage since their developers work for free, while LL employees do not.

About the hardware... I'm thinking both of current users on aging x86 machines AND future mobile clients. I'm thinking more of the direction the market is taking than it's current state. I started this thread because I was actually surprised that in terms of sales, desktop computers are becoming more the "niche" and the sales of tablets has actually eclipsed the sale of even laptops (the current most popular form-factor in x86 computing.) Add to this the vast number of smartphones on the market, the rapid pace they are replaced at due to contracts coming with a discount on a new phone, and it's clear that this is both a market and a technology that can do nothing but grow.

The benefit to the x86 consumer is showcased in Microsoft's business strategy. There IS a big divide in arm technology vs. x86. Nobody can deny that. So, what is Microsoft thinking? Well, Windows 8 uses x86 archetecture, but can run mobile style apps. How many Windows 7 programs could really fit on a tablet? The Microsoft Surface 8 Pro will be offered with either 64 or 128 gb of storage, which is massive for tablet standards. http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/surface-with-windows-8-pro/specifications Most are more like 32 gb. But even this pales iin comparison to the 500gb minimum that most laptops are shipped with. This tells me that the future is in smaller, sleeker apps. It's also important to point out that there is a mobile only version of Windows (Windows rt) which uses only RT apps, cannot run windows 7 programs, but to the end user has the same look and feel of Windows 8. And because of Microsoft's cross platform strategy there will be benefits even to the shrinking desktop/laptop crowd. I honestly believe that if LL takes a similar approach, as in streamlining things to run for those with the most popular of machines with the lowest of resources without sacrificing what we've come to expect, It would do good things for both sl's users and LL. Think about how happy all of the people who complain that SL is now too resource hungry for their computers would be if it was all more streamlined. Aging computers won't convince LL to do anything. But maybe the rapidly growing tablet/smartphone/chromebook etc. market can.

Right now, just like Windows 8 on x86 vs Windows RT on ARM, those who wish to use SL are a bit more limited in terms of what the viewer would be able to do. As one critic of Lumiya correctly pointed out, the ability to see mesh is vital, and support hasn't been added yet. I'm confident that it will be, and that if the hardware is what's holding that back, then it won't be for long. In a very real way, I see that as proof of what I said in the above paragraph. think about how many people on older computers complained when the mesh enabled viewers used so many more resources than the old ones. Think about how many people held onto Phoenix until the bitter end because Firestorm is so "heavy."  Think about how many still use Singularity because it doesn't require so much of their systems.

But maybe right now LL's market analysts ARE taking the "wait and see" approach you mentioned. Maybe they need to see if this "single interface" approach that Microsoft is taking will translate into profits before they're willing to try something similar.If that's the case, then I have to admit you're right about it being too early. Or maybe they're waiting until the hardware gets just a little better so they won't need to omit any features. If that's what they're doing, well then I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

• 2 weeks later...

The next logical think for LL to work on has little to do with tech. They are behind on that already big time on navigation and mobility. However, tech will develop as it is...

The next logical thing to do is to get more users online; they have been falling since 2008/9. The question has to be raised why Second Life doesn't catch on and remains so isolated, even being a geek thing perhaps. SL isn't moving on that matter.

One of the many complaints i hear from ppl who left is that SL seems a dominant place for social inadequates, geeks and sexual frustrates all over the place. It's no fun to get socially bold and frustrated IM's all the time. Of course it depends where somebody goes in SL, however the chance of being brutalized is always very very very high.

SL really needs to get a mature marketing in place and change their bad/wrong image. Now why have they never done this?

Linda Brynner wrote:

The next logical think for LL to work on has little to do with tech. They are behind on that already big time on navigation and mobility. However, tech will develop as it is...

The next logical thing to do is to get more users online; they have been falling since 2008/9. The question has to be raised why Second Life doesn't catch on and remains so isolated, even being a geek thing perhaps. SL isn't moving on that matter.

One of the many complaints i hear from ppl who left is that SL seems a dominant place for social inadequates, geeks and sexual frustrates all over the place. It's no fun to get socially bold and frustrated IM's all the time. Of course it depends where somebody goes in SL, however the chance of being brutalized is always very very very high.

SL really needs to get a mature marketing in place and change their bad/wrong image. Now why have they never done this?

I can somewhat agree. I think everything a corporation should do revolves areound growing their customer base. Broadening their platform potential is one way I saw of them doing just that. That, and cleaning up their code just a little. Laying off the new features to clean up what thye already have so that SL isn't the most demanding thing you do with your hardware.

As for the social image, yeah, I can see exactly where you're coming from. I hear just as many, if not more complaints about dropping performance making it less fun, but I do get to hear my share of "social" complaints too. I just don't know if there's any real way for LL to fix them. Maybe adding reasons to therating system would help? I mean, like in movies, "Rated R for language, violence... etc." Maybe if they do "Rated A for strong sexual situations" on sex sims and "Rated A for violence and/or gore" on the combat sims it would make it easier for people to know where to go? I really don't know.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Microsoft windows RT device and it could run SL fine. I play this game on it and its also 3d.

Vendetta Online is a MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game) from Guild Software Inc (take a look at the

!). In this game, thousands of people can play together, at the same time, in a single, persistent universe. Players take the form of spaceship pilots within this universe, flying to and fro between space stations and other locations in the galaxy. All combat within the game is fully realtime, based entirely on "twitch" skill (no "virtual dice rolling"). You directly pilot and fly your own ship, you are not a back-seat "navigator". Players may fight one another, or against Non-Player Characters (NPCs), even participating in massive border battles between nations or helping eradicate the vicious Hive. The thriving and complex economy of the galaxy makes many opportunities for traders, miners and smugglers alike.

look at the trailer and decide how much more processor power is needed for this, and again it runs very well on my RT device

• 3 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.