DNS cannot resolve host name. Help!!

RiannaMae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have tried shutting down, restarting, turing the computer and the router off, and changing my location. I have even done the process of changing the DNS server to the google DNS one and I still cannot log on, it continues to say DNS cannot resolve the host name, someone please help me

3 answers to this question

Hello Rianna, I have the same thing happen to me sometimes, 

Try resetting your router (there is a small reset button you have to click with a pen or something sharp). this usually will resolve the issue (make sure you can still access http://www.secondlife.com. if that still works, you should be fine. 

Disconnecting your router for 10 seconds sometimes works too, reboot your internet,. 

You can also look at a previour thread: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/I-keep-getting-quot-DNS-cannot-resolve-Host-name-quot-PLEASE/qaq-p/1700863

Goodluck, 

I have had the issue for years. I first got the problem when viewer 2 came out (which was before I had a router), I tried viewer 2 again about a year later  and it worked fine up to update 2.5 I believe, and the issue came back. I have not been able to use it since, I did finally get a router some time later, still had the same issue, got a new one some months back a nice Cisco one, still same issue. I have had every suggestion listed on here tried.

1.Changed to Google DNS check. Didn't work.

2.Flushed DNS check. Didn't work.

3. Unplugged computer/ router tons of times check. Didn't work.

4.Changed to another DNS still didn't work.

I did run into someone on here about a year ago had the same issue, even got the same error at the same version of Viewer 2 I did. He like me tried every suggestion presented, nothing worked. It got the point suggestions just kept repeating what was done numerous times without no resolution.

I talked to a few people, basically told me if it worked fine and then stopped from an upgrade, it's an issue within their software not with you, so nothing you do is going to work, has to come from the software provider ie a patch. Which I don't ever see coming.

I am using Phoenix right now till it finally breaks then I guess I am finished with Second Life.

(Just for an update for an experiment I used the old laptop my sister gave me that has Windows XP professional, has the same security software on it provided by my ISP, and logged into the same network, it worked fine, so I am guessing it is a Vista issue with the new SL viewer, not a DNS issue at all, sort of like the MAC OS issue sometime back. This will need a patch from LL to fix, which I bet will never see.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4127 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.