Uploading textures with collada files

Samara Kasshiki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK. This may be very simplistic, but I have been reading the posts here (both recent and ones Google found for me) and I am very confused over the ability to upload accompanying (mapped and assigned) texture files with mesh. So I did a test and got nowhere. If someone can tell me what I missed I would appreciate it.

I used the current official viewer (not the one it downloaded just now for me but the "this morning's" version).

I made a new material with a texture from my computer, made a UV map. Got everything looking correct on the model and ASSIGNED the material to the mesh.

From there I used the uploader and asked it to show me the texture in preview and to upload the texture WITH the mesh. I saw no texture on the preview and while I read that the texture you wanted on the mesh "might" come in a folder along with the mesh, that didn't happen either. All I got was a naked mesh object.

I am in Blender 2.64

So, IS this supposed to work? It seems to me that when I first started uploading and you asked  to upload the texture with the mesh, it charged you the texture upload fee along with the mesh upload fee. This didn't happen either. This was on Aditi. 

Any current info would be appreciated as most of the posts, the wiki etc are very old and so most likely not relevant.

I can map and upload my textures separately and that works fine for me. I just wanted to see how this other method worked (or not as the case may be). I don't know anyone personally that works in mesh and uploads their textures this way, but posts suggest it is possible. :) 

• Like 1

When you export the DAE. On the side panel in Collada export options. There should be an operator preset dropdown. Click that and chose "Second Life Static" For Static meshes . make sure in the panel the include UV textures.

Without those UV textures referenced and the textures in the folder. The SL uploader will not be able to ad them on upload  

Chosing Second Life Static should include the UV textures by default on export

colladaexport.png

Providing you set up materials and textures correctly.

• Like 1

Please note that texture upload does only work for static meshes. For rigged Meshes the SL Importer is broken.

The Collada exporter has been significantly improved in Blender 2.64. There was a small bugfix in 2.64a. However i believe you should update to Blender 2.65a

Here are the release notes:

Note that Blender 2.65a has many bugfixes and a new decimator which does not destroy the UV Maps. That's cool for making your own LOD's :)

• 6 years later...

I tried this with Blender 2.79 and after you pick the 'SL+Open Sim Static' Operator Presets you have to then choose between either UV textures or Materials because that is now a dropdown and not two separate checkboxes. But I have tried both options.

I can see my mapped texture in Blender. But when I go to import the DAE file in SL it says there are no textures after I click calculate costs.

Screenshot 2019-06-02 21.50.55.png

Edited by livb89

• 11 months later...

I know I am necroing and old thread but the final question was not answered and I really need the answer to it because that is the problem I am having now, I can see the textures in blender they are applied perfectly but sl does not see them when i try to import.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:59 PM, Altier Verwood said:

I know I am necroing and old thread but the final question was not answered and I really need the answer to it because that is the problem I am having now, I can see the textures in blender they are applied perfectly but sl does not see them when i try to import.

I can only say that I have never in seven years -- using Blender Cycles or Blender Render (later) been able to upload a texture with a model. In the very early days people WERE able to do that.  Checking just now in Blender 2.79 I don't see any difference in the export features than have been mentioned in this old post.  

Even back when people WERE (Blender Render) uploading textures at the same time as the main object, most long-time creators were saying that it was better to upload separately.   For one thing, you can  (now) TEST your mesh using local textures -- and if you model included several textures you were paying for uploads more than once should you need to redo.   

I honestly haven't seen anyone in years mentioning that they upload textures at the same time and along with their models. That could still be possible I guess, but there could have also been a change when materials came into being that stopped that feature in the uploader. 

Hopefully someone with a better memory of this can contribute.   Better yet, someone who IS uploading textures with models still :D

• Like 1

I upload with textures.... sadly not on Blender but C4D when doing static meshes. To get mine to upload I have to include the final baked texture in the color channel of the unique material versus diffuse (god knows why).  I also have to have that final baked texture stored in the right folder (for C4D that's tex which is a subfolder of the project).  So once I have my baked texture (e.g. from substance painter) I simply add it to the C4d file then export to dae.

I am surprised re Blender!!   

Does the dae file have in it anything like the below in it??  I have zero expertise in that side of things but that's how C4D generates the .dae using one material as an example.

<library_images>

<image id="ID1”>
<init_from>tex/Nameofyourtexturehere.tga</init_from>
    </library_images>

<library_effects>

<effect id="ID1”>

<profile_COMMON>

<technique sid="COMMON">

<blinn>

<diffuse>

<color>0.8 0.8 0.8 1</color>

</diffuse>

<specular>

<color>0.2 0.2 0.2 1</color>

</specular>

<shininess>

<float>0.5</float>

</shininess>

</blinn>

</technique>

</profile_COMMON>

</effect>
  <library_effects>

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett

9 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

To get mine to upload I have to include the final baked texture in the color channel of the unique material versus diffuse (god knows why)

Don't let the SL term confuse you. In 3d rendering, diffuse is the color of the light that bounces off a surface, while the color is the actual base of the material color

Collada handles texture in two modes, relative path and absolute path, so while some apps let the user set the mode upon export, some other don't which defaults to relative. SL uploader wants the absolute path instead, so here is the trick that worked for me with old version of Blender without the aid from avastar:

Assign your baked texture to the material color

Export the dae file in the same folder as the assigned texture. 

Hopefully this still works

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

Don't let the SL term confuse you. In 3d rendering, diffuse is the color of the light that bounces off a surface, while the color is the actual base of the material color

Collada handles texture in two modes, relative path and absolute path, so while some apps let the user set the mode upon export, some other don't which defaults to relative. SL uploader wants the absolute path instead, so here is the trick that worked for me with old version of Blender without the aid from avastar:

Assign your baked texture to the material color

Export the dae file in the same folder as the assigned texture. 

Hopefully this still works

Ah that helps me understand why we don't pop it in the diffuse channel thanks!   Using color has always been successful for me with SL uploads : - > https://gyazo.com/89f29284b7c8d45520eb010b7998c61f

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1406 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.