Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Milk with ice cubes? Do people really do that? I remember being given citrus juice with ice and wanting to gag. No, no, no, no, people. Please stop this trend wherever you can, for the sake of all humanity. /hyperbole

My grandmother talked about putting a little water with condensed milk (the government gave out the tins) and putting it on bread for a treat. It was like icing, she said. And a lot in her family came out with diabetes, later on...

Another po' folk treat is bread pudding. Stale bread, raisins and what have you.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic


Melita Magic wrote:

Milk with ice cubes? Do people really do that? I remember being given citrus juice with ice and wanting to gag. No, no, no, no, people. Please stop this trend wherever you can, for the sake of all humanity. /hyperbole

My grandmother talked about putting a little water with condensed milk (the government gave out the tins) and putting it on bread for a treat. It was like icing, she said. And a lot in her family came out with diabetes, later on...

Another po' folk treat is bread pudding. Stale bread, raisins and what have you.

 

No surprise then that my mother's mother and one of her sisters had developed diabetes later in life. Although the sister  was partial to boiled sweets too. 

Bread pudding is quite horrible. Bread and butter pudding on the other hand is rather marvellous, like a substantial egg custard with raisins thrown in and nutmeg sprinkled on the top.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind bread pudding (most of the ones I've tried are the more custardy version, which isn't true po' folk bread pudding or they'd have had pudding or custard and saved the bread for something else.) If it isn't too dry. Most restaurants don't know how to do it properly, or they leave it to bake too long. It isn't my favorite anyway. I'm not fond of overly 'rich' or 'sweet' things.

Lately I'm more into savories I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Melita Magic wrote:

I don't mind bread pudding (most of the ones I've tried are the more custardy version, which isn't true po' folk bread pudding or they'd have had pudding or custard and saved the bread for something else.)
If it isn't too dry. Most restaurants don't know how to do it properly, or they leave it to bake too long.
It isn't my favorite anyway. I'm not fond of overly 'rich' or 'sweet' things.

Lately I'm more into savories I guess.

I feel like that about most flapjack.  I like it to be slightly chewy.  I love sweet stuff, but I balance it out with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. All things in moderation.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Melita Magic wrote:

Milk with ice cubes? Do people really do that? I remember being given citrus juice with ice and wanting to gag. No, no, no, no, people. Please stop this trend wherever you can, for the sake of all humanity. /hyperbole

My grandmother talked about putting a little water with condensed milk (the government gave out the tins) and putting it on bread for a treat. It was like icing, she said. And a lot in her family came out with diabetes, later on...

Another po' folk treat is bread pudding. Stale bread, raisins and what have you.

 

Oh yes, ice cold milk is the best. You say tins too? The only thing I ever see in tins are cookies and popcorn. Cheesy popcorn, mmm. Usually it is one third of the tin, sharing space with caramel popcorn and regular popcorn. I don't care for caramel popcorn so at the end of the tin, I have to compromise because they've all managed to mingle. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites


Syo Emerald wrote:

Amazing how the topic (Nudity vs child avatars) gets turned into a vivid row of comments about milkproducts with some additional videos about tiny dead animal getting a grave made.

if a thread never derail on here then we doing it wrong seems like

if look careful can always see who is the main culprits. and who is the king culprit

nobody even cares anymore on GDF here when it derail tho. not like on the old forums. lol. some people used to moan bigtime about hopeless train drivers on that one. on here heaps more even more useless train drivers start climbing into the cab and have a go (:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Echo Hermit wrote:

A lot of words on that Scouse list are not, you are right, unique to Liverpool, but I tested my brother, and he did not know what some of them meant. 

There is one word on the list that I've wondered about for ~45 years - jigger. When I was in the army, two friends had a laugh about "legging a jigger" but they wouldn't explain what it meant. At least I know what 'jigger' means now. Maybe the phrase meant running along a jigger.

Dennis Tanner, what a coup that was. I'm no sure exactly how long he's been back, but long enough to become very close to, and marry Rita Littlewood/Fairclough/Sullivan.  He's fitted well back into it.  (Good job they didn't kill him off - nice the programme's writers/producers listened to the viewing public.)

You'll certainly remember Dennis Tanner's mum then - Elsie Tanner. She got the job after doing an audition in which she was told "We'll let you know". She was used to hearing that and she let off some steam to those who were autitioning people. It was that letting off steam that showed she could play the character they were looking for, and it got her the job.

You may be a little bit older than me. All I remember about my earliest viewings of Coronation Street was Ena Sharples and her static breasts underneath that severe coat she always wore, and the hairnet (of course). 

Whenever I hear the name Ena Sharples, I think of the song 'Some Enchanted Evening' - and vice versa. They ended an episode with her singing a few lines of it in the Snug. It was so not what you'd expect from Ena Sharples that you had to laugh. And the memory stuck.

I've seen the caramel version of condensed milk; dare not try it, it sounds such a very naughty treat.  I do like that tinned thick sterilised cream (Nestle TM), and Carnation for tinned pears or peaches always takes me back to Sunday tea time, when we'd have it for our tea, with bread and butter.

"a naughty treat" lol. Years ago I heard about boiling a tin of condensed milk for a few hours but I never tried it. When I saw the caramel variety I bought a tin. I didn't care for it but I boiled a tin of normal condensed milk to make sure it was the same, and it is. Maybe boiling it for a shorter time would be better for me, but it would be very difficult to improve on the taste of plain condensed milk - Carnation, Nestlé, any other - they are all delicious.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Echo Hermit wrote:

There was a bizarre class system even in our local council-run school.  For sixpence (six old d pennies, you will remember, Phil), you could have a custard cream biscuit with your milk, or if your parents weren't so well off you could pay just two old pennies and have a rich tea biscuit with your milk, or the very poor kids (or parents who actually fed their kids breakfast and knew biscuits weren't that nutritious) got just the milk.
 

Good grief! 6d for a custard cream? That's a lot of money for just one biscuit. I could buy a cornish pastie for that - or was it a shilling (1/-). Even if it was a shilling, half a cornish pastie was huge compared to a single custard cream.

I certainly remember the old money, Echo. I used to spend farthings when I was very young :) I was in Nairobi when they made the change. When I went there, a cup of tea in a cafe cost 4d. When I came back 6 months later, the same cup of tea cost 4p - ~double what it cost before I went away. Some retailers took advantage of the change.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Echo Hermit wrote:

A lot of words on that Scouse list are not, you are right, unique to Liverpool, but I tested my brother, and he did not know what some of them meant. 

There is one word on the list that I've wondered about for ~45 years - jigger. When I was in the army, two friends had a laugh about "legging a jigger" but they wouldn't explain what it meant. At least I know what 'jigger' means now. Maybe the phrase meant running along a jigger.
 


I always thought a jigger was Jay Z

Link to post
Share on other sites

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Milkmen? Tea with bread and butter? Custard cream biscuits, rich tea biscuits, sixpence? Milk monitors and class systems, you guys sound like you come from a fairytale!

Lol. I don't know about Echo, but I like to reminisce sometimes :)

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Milkmen? Tea with bread and butter? Custard cream biscuits, rich tea biscuits, sixpence? Milk monitors and class systems, you guys sound like you come from a fairytale!

Lol. I don't know about Echo, but I like to reminisce sometimes
:)

Oh, I meant that as a compliment, I love stories.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Charolotte Caxton wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:


Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Milkmen? Tea with bread and butter? Custard cream biscuits, rich tea biscuits, sixpence? Milk monitors and class systems, you guys sound like you come from a fairytale!

Lol. I don't know about Echo, but I like to reminisce sometimes
:)

Oh, I meant that as a compliment, I love stories.


Me too :)

I've noticed that the older I get, the more I like to reminisce and talk about the old days so, when anything from my earlier years comes up, I'm almost certain to join in.

And good morning, Charolotte :)

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Echo Hermit wrote:

A lot of words on that Scouse list are not, you are right, unique to Liverpool, but I tested my brother, and he did not know what some of them meant. 

There is one word on the list that I've wondered about for ~45 years - jigger. When I was in the army, two friends had a laugh about "legging a jigger" but they wouldn't explain what it meant. At least I know what 'jigger' means now. Maybe the phrase meant running along a jigger.

Dennis Tanner, what a coup that was. I'm no sure exactly how long he's been back, but long enough to become very close to, and marry Rita Littlewood/Fairclough/Sullivan.  He's fitted well back into it.  (Good job they didn't kill him off - nice the programme's writers/producers listened to the viewing public.)

You'll certainly remember Dennis Tanner's mum then - Elsie Tanner. She got the job after doing an audition in which she was told "We'll let you know". She was used to hearing that and she let off some steam to those who were autitioning people. It was that letting off steam that showed she could play the character they were looking for, and it got her the job.

You may be a little bit older than me. All I remember about my earliest viewings of Coronation Street was Ena Sharples and her static breasts underneath that severe coat she always wore, and the hairnet (of course). 

Whenever I hear the name Ena Sharples, I think of the song 'Some Enchanted Evening' - and vice versa. They ended an episode with her singing a few lines of it in the Snug. It was so not what you'd expect from Ena Sharples that you had to laugh. And the memory stuck.

I've seen the caramel version of condensed milk; dare not try it, it sounds such a very naughty treat.  I do like that tinned thick sterilised cream (Nestle TM), and Carnation for tinned pears or peaches always takes me back to Sunday tea time, when we'd have it for our tea, with bread and butter.

"a naughty treat" lol. Years ago I heard about boiling a tin of condensed milk for a few hours but I never tried it. When I saw the caramel variety I bought a tin. I didn't care for it but I boiled a tin of normal condensed milk to make sure it was the same, and it is. Maybe boiling it for a shorter time would be better for me, but it would be very difficult to improve on the taste of plain condensed milk - Carnation, Nestlé, any other - they are all delicious.

 

I certainly do remember Elsie Tanner, the character.  I even met Pat Phoenix, the actress who played her, when I was a small girl and she made a guest appearance at a department store in central Manchester.  She seemed to glamorous in real life.

And Violet Carson, if you remember, appeared from time to time on one of the Sunday night programmes, singing and playing along to hymns. Without the hairnet. Without the severe coat too. Which looked very strange.

Boiling the tin of condensed milk was how my ex-husband began the process of creating his magnificent banoffee pie.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Echo Hermit wrote:

There was a bizarre class system even in our local council-run school.  For sixpence (six old d pennies, you will remember, Phil), you could have a custard cream biscuit with your milk, or if your parents weren't so well off you could pay just two old pennies and have a rich tea biscuit with your milk, or the very poor kids (or parents who actually fed their kids breakfast and knew biscuits weren't that nutritious) got just the milk.
 

Good grief! 6d for a custard cream? That's a lot of money for just one biscuit. I could buy a cornish pastie for that - or was it a shilling (1/-). Even if it was a shilling, half a cornish pastie was huge compared to a single custard cream.

I certainly remember the old money, Echo. I used to spend farthings when I was very young 
:)
 I was in Nairobi when they made the change. When I went there, a cup of tea in a cafe cost 4d. When I came back 6 months later, the same cup of tea cost 4p - ~double what it cost before I went away. Some retailers took advantage of the change.

Nooo, that was for a whole week's worth of custard creams.

I was talking to my brother about the time when decimal currency came in, and how easily I could still convert new money back into old money, because I was so sure, at the age of 8, that decimal currency was not here to stay. It seems, therefore, I was always something of a "Luddite", more recently being quite against embracing mesh in case it didn't catch on (I do own some mesh items of furniture and clothing in my inventory), and preferring to be on an older viewer.

(I accept that mesh is here to stay, and on my Windows 8 computer, I do use Firestorm, which is of course mesh-compatible, so I am moving into the 21st century now.)

Yes, we were diddled rather a lot when decimal currency came into being. As a child it meant that for sixpence old money I could get 12 of the little white chocolate mice, but for two and a half pence new money, which was meant to be the same as sixpence old money, I could only get 10 little white chocolate mice, them being two for half a new pence. I felt so cheated!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:


Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Milkmen? Tea with bread and butter? Custard cream biscuits, rich tea biscuits, sixpence? Milk monitors and class systems, you guys sound like you come from a fairytale!

Lol. I don't know about Echo, but I like to reminisce sometimes
:)

It's definitely great to be able to look back at simpler times, and realise that life with all it's current array of time-saving gadgets and gizmos has actually got a lot more noisy, stressful and complicated.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:


Suki Hirano wrote:

So today I was doing some shopping while dressed up as a faun. As lots of people know fantasy creatures (demons, fauns, mermaids and the like) almost always have a tendency to wear more revealing clothes, mostly because succubus + a frilly dress just doesn't go together. Then some idiot IMed me that she was going to report me (to LL or the store owner I'm not sure) for "being too revealing", because "some children here may be disturbed by my revealing attire". This is like one of the stupidest things I've ever heard, not that LL or the shop owner's gonna do anything obviously, but mostly because someone can be this thick on Christmas morning.

 

I have to agree with you: the comment was really stupid. It's quite possible to consider someone 16 years old a child (just as it is quite possible to consider someone 30 years old a child) but it's also possible to consider a 16-year-old an adult. In many countries one would be legally an adult at that age. But that has little to do with the subject. To speak of 'children' being disturbed by revealing clothing in SL is ludicrous.  Your complainer is an idiot.

For some reason, I find I now have an urge to google fauns.

Me too lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2950 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...