Nudity vs child av's

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

K, here's one for the road

"Killed by Mummy" - great little actress.

Remembering how we had a little funeral for a baby bird that had fallen (or been tossed out) of its nest when I was about five years old.  Teacher helped us dig a hole, we made a little lollypop stick grave marker for it. We sang All Things Bright and Beautiful and said a little prayer for it's poor little soul.  Few days later, thing had been dug up, probably by a cat (or the garden-proud caretaker). We were soooo sad.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Milk in a tin?

Eating milk?

Eta:

Oh, 

You like what, eat it with a spoon? I've only ever seen it used in baking.

At least I guessed right in that After Eights were a candy! 

Yep. Condensed milk is super-delicious. I only buy it for eating from the tin with a teaspoon and, once I've opened the tin, I can't stop eating it until it's all gone. Yummy.

ETA: They've started selling what they call Caramel Condensed Milk now. It's just a normal tin of condensed milk that's been boiled for an hour or two. I don't like it though but, apparently, it's a staple in the diet of one South American country.

Echo Hermit wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I found this list,

Make any sense to you?

Makes a ton of sense. Although I am born and bred in Yorkshire, and Scouse folk, Liverpool, Manchester is a whole other county (with whom we did have a civil war a long, long time ago apparently), my mother was from Manchester, and as a UK northerner, I understand much of what is in the list you linked to.

If you can find an episode of "Coronation Street", a really well-known soap opera, you'd get a bit more idea of how we speaka-da-language :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

A lot of words on the list are not unique to Liverpool. They are widely used.

I'm Yorkshire too but we never had a war between us. That civil war was between the house of York and the house of Lancaster - families fighting for the crown of England, not counties ;)

I spotted Dennis Tanner in Coronation Streeet the other day. How long has he been back? He was in it from the start (I remember it back then). When it was known that they were going to write him out of it, they got loads of mail asking them not to kill him off, so they didn't.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I love evaporated milk as well but only on fruit and fruit pies in a dish - not on its own.

ETA: I like it on All Bran too, but with normal milk. Mostly normal milk plus some evaporated milk.

You are a milk connoisseur. Do you ever have a glass of milk with ice cubes?

I never have milk on its own (with ice cubes woulkd be pretty much the same). I don't like it on its own. When I was at school every pupil got 1/3 pint bottle of milk during the morning break. I never had any because I didn't like it.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

Amazing how the topic (Nudity vs child avatars) gets turned into a vivid row of comments about milkproducts with some additional videos about tiny dead animal getting a grave made.

And various forms of milk. Don't forget that
:)

I thought milkproducts summerize that pretty well. I can't really join the topic...but it reminds me of the yoghurt I still have somewhere in the fridge. I'll go and check if I can still eat that.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Echo Hermit wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I found this list,

Make any sense to you?

Makes a ton of sense. Although I am born and bred in Yorkshire, and Scouse folk, Liverpool, Manchester is a whole other county (with whom we did have a civil war a long, long time ago apparently), my mother was from Manchester, and as a UK northerner, I understand much of what is in the list you linked to.

If you can find an episode of "Coronation Street", a really well-known soap opera, you'd get a bit more idea of how we speaka-da-language :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

I'm Yorkshire too but we never had a war between us. That civil war was between the house of York and the house of Lancaster - families fighting for the crown of England, not counties
;)

I spotted Dennis Tanner in Coronation Streeet the other day. How long has he been back? He was in it from the start (I remember it back then). When it was known that they were going to write him out of it, they got loads of mail asking them not to kill him off, so they didn't.

Oh, counties. Thank goodness, I thought my world knowledge was even worse for awhile there.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Echo Hermit wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I found this list,

Make any sense to you?

I'm Yorkshire too but we never had a war between us. That civil war was between the house of York and the house of Lancaster - families fighting for the crown of England, not counties
;)

Fair does about the War of the Roses. My dad was Yorkshire, my mother Lancashire, and so the standing 'joke' in our house was about it being like the War of the Roses.

A lot of words on that Scouse list are not, you are right, unique to Liverpool, but I tested my brother, and he did not know what some of them meant. 

Dennis Tanner, what a coup that was. I'm no sure exactly how long he's been back, but long enough to become very close to, and marry Rita Littlewood/Fairclough/Sullivan.  He's fitted well back into it.  (Good job they didn't kill him off - nice the programme's writers/producers listened to the viewing public.)

You may be a little bit older than me. All I remember about my earliest viewings of Coronation Street was Ena Sharples and her static breasts underneath that severe coat she always wore, and the hairnet (of course). 

I've seen the caramel version of condensed milk; dare not try it, it sounds such a very naughty treat.  I do like that tinned thick sterilised cream (Nestle TM), and Carnation for tinned pears or peaches always takes me back to Sunday tea time, when we'd have it for our tea, with bread and butter.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Syo Emerald wrote:

Amazing how the topic (Nudity vs child avatars) gets turned into a vivid row of comments about milkproducts with some additional videos about tiny dead animal getting a grave made.

And various forms of milk. Don't forget that
:)

I thought milkproducts summerize that pretty well. I can't really join the topic...but it reminds me of the yoghurt I still have somewhere in the fridge. I'll go and check if I can still eat that.

I believe, as long as they are stored in a refrigerator, yogurts will keep well after their use-by date.  Just check the lid is not showing signs of 'blowing'.

We had a 'pet' yogurt in a corner shop where I lived when I was younger. Each day we'd go in and check the state of it, because the shop owner wasn't known for being up to speed with his stock.  One day we went in and it had blown - all over the fridge . :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I love evaporated milk as well but only on fruit and fruit pies in a dish - not on its own.

ETA: I like it on All Bran too, but with normal milk. Mostly normal milk plus some evaporated milk.

You are a milk connoisseur. Do you ever have a glass of milk with ice cubes?

I never have milk on its own (with ice cubes woulkd be pretty much the same). I don't like it on its own. When I was at school every pupil got 1/3 pint bottle of milk during the morning break. I never had any because I didn't like it.

Strangely (or not), I following in my brother's footsteps, and five years after he had held the position, was milk monitor in my primary school.

The milk was always room temperature, which was ok in winter, because it had semi-frozen while on the milkman's vehicle.

There was a bizarre class system even in our local council-run school.  For sixpence (six old d pennies, you will remember, Phil), you could have a custard cream biscuit with your milk, or if your parents weren't so well off you could pay just two old pennies and have a rich tea biscuit with your milk, or the very poor kids (or parents who actually fed their kids breakfast and knew biscuits weren't that nutritious) got just the milk.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Echo Hermit wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Awww, sorry for your loss.

Kids have gotta learn about death and loss at some point. And how evil cats (and some caretakers) can be.

Well, doggies are no better. I remember finding my dead kittens too late after the neighbor dog had found them
:(

That's horribly sad. :matte-motes-frown:

Phil Deakins wrote:

I heard about that rape and death on the news but it has nothing to do with this discussion. Men commit rape because they want to and not because they can't control themselves. The woman who was raped was fully clothed so it's not an example of what Orca said - that men can't control themselves when faced with naked female breasts.

Men only find female breasts to be very attractive because they are normally covered up and out of sight. If they were normally on show, they wouldn't hold any more attraction to men than any other part of the female body that was normally uncovered.

Here's a thought. If it was the norm for women to be topless, as it is the norm for their hands to be naked, for instance, then female breasts would usually be the opposite of attractive, because only a small minority of women have breasts that match up to the shape they appear to be when clothed in a bra. Bras do a great service for women, by usually giving them a shape they don't naturally have. If it were men who made women cover their breasts, as Orca thinks it is, then they'd be covered in such a way as to make them unattractuve. But the opposite is true. Women wear bras that lift their breasts, and make them stick out more, making them a lot more attractive than they naturally are.

Orca's statement was wrong. It meant that men make women cover their breasts because they (men) can't control themselves when female breasts are on show. It's absolute nonsense.

I also disagreed with Orca's statement but I found the tone in general to be a bit facetious, so I did not really engage. But I disagreed for another reason. I don't feel that it's "men" who "make" women cover up. It's people's own sense of modesty and cultural propriety. Cultural propriety does change throughout the decades. Imagine a thong bikini on a beach in the 1920s.

Since the TREND of violent gang rapes in India (only one example of violence toward women which seems to almost be world policy these days...yeah...touchy topic at the moment...and I'm sorry...men are not going to get it...not all women will either) IS off topic for the point of this discussion (I still say that is a PRIME example of losing ALL self control):

It is not true first of all that all men are the same. It seems hyou might be disagreeing with that implication in what Orca said. But yet it's also implied in what you said. 

Not all men or cultures find the same things appealing. For instance, in cultures in which women do go topless, breasts are still considered attractive and sexual. And the shape of an attractive breast also varies by culture. Not sure if that proves or disproves your 'bra' theory, since those cultures don't wear bras. But in some cultures, a long, skinny breast is testimony to the woman's past nursing, and so, her ability to bear children. So, the pubescent round breast is not ideal in all cultures though it might be hard for some to believe (not meaning you.)

Among the Yanomamo, men are entirely naked except for a waist strap, which they use to bind a certain part. Even though to us that's still obviously naked, to them, they are clothed as long as that is done. 

So I do agree with you Phil in that the cultural eyes are trained to see this or that as nude or this or that as improper or shocking. 

What's uniformly true is that whoever goes against that norm is punished or ostracized and or often thought less of. 

What I do hate to see is when people narrow that to one culture over another. Or blame it on religion. Neither things are true. It's more like a human social construct.

"Open the eyes" of a family's children in some countries and they will want to beat you down for it. I agree with that by the way; no one should decide they will "expose them to nudity" for "their own good." Height of hubris. Like the "wardrobe malfunction" that seemed highly planned; no one has a right to put HBO at night into NFL prime time. The argument that people have a right to choose things for themselves is a hypocritical one if only one person is choosing FOR others and the others are just surprised with nudity or what have you.

And it's still against TOS to be topless on G land...if the OP was, the other people had every right to complain. They are lucky they IMed them instead of ARing it without giving them a chance to fix it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4106 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.