Running Out Of Texture Memory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had the same issues, and here is the solution;

This is caused from memory overlapping mechanism set in the bios (locked windows kernel can

not handle over 4GB, if your os is in 32bit installed).

This errors are caused from wrong bios settings of MTRR allocation and the size of the 4GB pci granularity hole.

To fix it check this 3 settings (i have a phoenix bios, on ami, award or insyde it can be sorted different!)

1. check in your bios in memory cache "Discrete MTRR Allocation" and set it to Enabled. (Shows in 32bit

systems more then 4GB installed memory - will differ by settings as explained in 2a)

2. check in your bios in advanced "pci configuration" PCI-e I/O Performance and set it to Payload (faster)

2a Coalesce shows in 32bit systems 4GB usable memory, Payload shows 2GB usable memory)

3. check in your bios in advanced chipset control "4GB PCI Hole Granularity" and set it to 

the best value your motherboard and graphics memory are able to handle it (256, 512, 1.0, 2.0GB)

I have a Supermicro dual Xeon Workstation board with 32GB ram, so on usual desktop mainboards (s 478, s775, s1155) you will may have fewer detailed settings available.

And even the settings may vary, if your mainboard has a built in graphics card (igp) or a dedicated

PCI-Exp x16

This settings are shown for usual bios setups on systems with totally 4GB extended memory.

Your stability with "out of memory" in second life will vary slightly, means you have to play a bit with this settings to succed.

IMG_20140713_014714.jpg

IMG_20140713_014332.jpgI giveeIMG_20140713_014626.jpg

I give here kudos back to lindens and also firestorm devs, which are not responsible in this error.

You hopefully also. Cross my fingers. :matte-motes-big-grin-evil:

On my system i get the best stability and performance with "4GB Hole PCI Granularity" set to 4GB, PCI-e I/O Performance

set to Coalesce.

• 7 months later...

I found a solution :)

download

Process Explorer Copyright © 1996-2010 Mark Russinovich Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

and suspend in the background tast per task , play with what you suspend and start the tasks again ,and your SL work cool and smooth again.

also consider to run  to run 

Instant Memory Cleaner from http://www.vasileios.gr/freesoft

For me it works great enjoy :)

Tomorow i will explain how i donne it: it has nothing todo whit a bug or graphics card, its only a issue with the memory you use and whats eating it up by background tasks... I mean with the default taskmanager its almost impossible to see

whats running in the background of your computer, or more difficult to kill or suspend a task. Enjoy !!! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Coming back after monthes in this discussion. I reinstalled my PC with windows 8.1 64 bits and 16 GB of RAM. And the theory I exposed here previously is fully confirmed... As the 64 bits OS is able to manage a huge quantity of RAM, the actual quantity of RAM you have in your PC sets the limit and there is no more problem of running out of texture memory. I can go to crowdy places full of mesh and textures, SL uses as much of 5 GB of RAM, but as the limit is at more than 10 GB (16 less the quantity used by Windows)... No problem any more.

Subject closed for me

• 9 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.