How Can I register my creations in U.S?

AinaraLuas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all. 

I´m designer of gorean and medieval clothes and I would like to register my creations in U.S if it´s possible. I have a form I got from a web and it explains how to do it, but since I design clothes, I´m not sure about how can I register the outfits. 

To design, as many creators, sometimes I bought full perm mesh, sculpts, templates and textures, and I mix and match them to create my own idea and style. I know ideas can´t be registred, But it´s possible to register an outfit altought I used some full perm mesh, texture or sculpt to build it? If yes..how can I register it? Should I need to upload a picture of the full outfit or something? I live in Spain, but as Second Life is in U.S I would like to register there. 

The last week I found 2 stores have stolen my creations and I would like to register all to be more protected against thiefs. 

I will be grateful if someone can explain me if its possible to do what I want, and how can i register an outfit. 

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english, hope you will understand me!

Well I don´t know if you are designer, but people can recognize their own designs. One thing is when  you use, for example, a full perm belt as its, and another thing is when you use 30 different pieces of different sculpts to make a skirt. I understand, someone can make something similar to other, and I would never report that, cause I understand all is invented in RL and in SL so people can have similar ideas. But if you build something using different parts of lots of different sculpts, mixing and matching..and you see other "designer" with exactly the same creation than you, with the prims in the exactly same position.. What do you think? 

Anyway, this is not the theme I was asking for. I ask if is possible to register an outfit. 

Clothes are a sticky issue to begin with, even in the real world there are knock-offs or copy cats of designer clothing.  I don't know of any places to register your designs maybe others can help you. 

But, I would caution you, if you purchased full perms mesh, full perms sculpts, full perms templates and full perm textures, you can bet other people have as well lowering the chances your outfit(s) is/are unique.   You will have to be careful registering  so you do not include  anything you did not create yourself...templates, textures, mesh, emblishiments, sculpt items, etc.  If you used items from other creators in your outfit(s) you will need to check the licensing or, contact them if you plan to feature them .

Yes ur creating unique outfits but ur using someone else's sculpts, templates and textures. So its ur rearrangement of all those elements. I think you can only copyright if the creation is 100% yours, which these r not. As for someone copying your work, I dont' think there is anything you can do since anyone can purchase those same sculpts, templates and textures.

If the outfits in question are simply collections of items created by others, and do not include any original works that you've created yourself, then they likely would not meet the legal requirement of originality sufficient to qualify for copyright protection. Merely accumulating a bunch of pre-existing stuff, and putting it on display as outfit, doesn't make for originality.  Even if nobody else on Earth has ever combined those particular items in your particular way, you still haven't produced anything that would be considered original, under the law.

When you mix and match other people's works to create an outfit, you're not making a new original work.  You're making a derivative work.  Dirivatives without new originality cannot be newly copyrighted.

Anything you create yourself, from your own designs, is yours, of course.  But when you just combine a bunch of other people's stuff, it's not yours.  Anyone else who has the same items can do the same thing with them.

Now, if you're wondering how to register copyright on items that ARE your own originals, insctructuions can be found on the  US Copyright Office website.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.