Watch Out for Phishing.

RebelAngel92

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know there has been many warnings on about phishing but some friendly reminders.

1. Make sure your viewer comes from the Approved viewers by Second Life, do not accept downloads or custom viewers from yoru friends. I don't know how many of you are aware but there are over 100+ illegal viewers going around some of them which preform illegal functions or advanced functions which were designed by KingGoon. Be aware that KingGoon viewers not only break the TOS but recent releases contain a password logger which sends your password and username to his database, this is why its important not to accept or login from any of his viewers by anyone even to test them out.

I know there are 16 Thousand potential illegal users who have used an illegal viewer and has their account at risk.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory Make sure your viewer is legit and comes from here. Also change your password often, and  keep in mind LL still does not 100% guarentee your security with any third party viewer.

2. Watch out for Phishing Links in your Second Life email, Fake Links in Dialogue, or IM's sent to you.

3. Disable Java Script in SL, Java Script is very vulnurable to viruses, and backdoor loggers only browse websites through your external browser.

4. Disable Media, keep media off to avoid IP logging, and detection or harassment from other users only enable on land you trust turn off afterwards, if you stream music do it from an external browser. ( For example like Red Zone did and the bot detector that protects clubs I forget name. Its not magic it works by IP when you have your media on to see if you are cheating sploders.)

5. SL Voice can possibly be used to track IP addresses still.

Bottom Line KingGoon is hacking Second Life acounts, Deleting entire peoples inventories, and harassing many developers in Second Life as well as sharing illegal copyrighted work on his website. This is a very large griefer group in Second Life, and they will target anyone for any reason  they please and have also been known to Prank Call Linden Lab to try to gain access to other peoples accounts, and Brute Force attempts on others as well as other attempts of phishing like site registrations if people use their same password as SL and such.

For those who don't know much about KingGoon, he  is not a actual Second Life user I am talking about so I am not breaking the rules here, KingGoon is a website which constantly relocates its servers to avoid DMCA/Legal, and I Encourage all creators of content who has had their work illegally stolen and uploaded to File a DMCA with the person hosting his site for take down keep it up and he will finally get tired of it just do not give your SL name.

Be Smart, Make a Back-Up box as well and leave it Rez in world it pays to be safe. I hope this helps some of those who have been griefed by this group of griefers.

I notice the only reply to this post disappeared. Maybe because it is too dangeroud to post with anything but an alt? Unless you are a targeted merchant, as I am, you probably have no idea the level of theft, threats, extortion, and griefing we are subect to. Much of the joy of creating in SL is for us destroyed.

Successful creators are being targeted for punishment and there is nothing LL will do about it other than to take down a little content here and there. They are not going to delete the accounts of those using the illegal viewers. On the issue of content theft, they are impartial. They have made that very clear.

These copybot websites advertise free content in order to 1) advertise their keylogger viewers and 2) get people to register at their keylogger website. Those who register obligingly post stolen content to the website in order to attract more marks for the website owners to exploit.

What content creators need to do is file a complaint with the FBI or whatever their country's equivalent is. Of course you must pay taxes on your SL income in order to file a complaint with the FBI, which is likely one reason more have not done so. The FBI has agreements with law enforcement agencies around the world, and they are all very focused on IP Theft at the moment. We have seen before that cyber criminals think they cannot be caught, that they are beyond the reach of the law -- until they find they are not. The penalties for their criminal activity can be very steep indeed.

More info about the FBI's role in investigating IP Theft:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/white_collar/ipr/ipr

I am everyone and I am no one. I have be around SL for like 5 years almost now and it really isn't the CopyBot itself that gets me I know it breaks TOS its the illegal sharing of what these griefer groups are doing sharing illegal content on their site, and now their most notorius of placing password loggers in their viewers that people download which they have already deleted a few peoples Second Life iventory.

I checked out that link you posted about the FBI, and I have filed a complaint there because one of the avatars the copy off of me while most of it was other peoples creations I actually do hold copyright to one or two textures on my body a couple of tattoos which gives me enough excuse to claim CopyRight. The question however is if the FBI will do a damn thing I filed the complaint on their "Internet Crime Complaint Center" giving as much information as I could and they say they do not have the resources to respond to reports filed so to me it seems like I need the money to go hire a lawyer or something.

What I really do know is these griefer goons need to go, yes it is dangerous to expose your main accounts when posting any information about this now because they could target you.

The problem I see is that a lot of these goons are from Italy, France, and Romania, Germany, I am not racist I know not everyone from these countries are guilty, but I am saying quite a few of them come from outside the U.S so what is the FBI going to do, and what could I do in the U.S even if I had a lawyer.

It seems like Linden Lab would do a better job at protecting people during their registration process, verifying accuracy of information given, and actually protect its residents in SL from account hacks, but as you all know this one persons inventory had over 45k items KingGoon compromised their account not a thing LL could do and they have quit SL.

Is there any other steps I can really take that won't cost me a lot of moeny to get these goons jailed in Real Life reguardless of their country like international LAW or something. I am willing to use any excuse I can to get anything done legally including the two assets of mine they stole while it wasn't much I will use it as an excuse.

I also filed complaints on their website for illegal piracy of Real World content, Movies, Games, and Music to the RIAA, MOPA, and software companies explaining the piracy I have seen there.

On the other hand one of my merchant partners has had their entire store cloned and given away in Second Life & On this site full permissions and we are sick of it, and god knows when they might decide to try to compromise our accounts next for any reason. What will protect us.

Italy, France, and Romania, Germany, I am not racist

No, of course not, since the original population of those countries are all caucasians, as you are most probably too. Even if you weren't it wouldn't be racist. Biologically the human race doesn't have enough differences to split it into different races anyway. So what does it make you? A xenophobe is what they call people like you, I guess. And that's not a biological but a psychological term. :smileytongue:

RebelAngel92 wrote:

I am everyone and I am no one. I have be around SL for like 5 years almost now and it really isn't the CopyBot itself that gets me I know it breaks TOS its the illegal sharing of what these griefer groups are doing sharing illegal content on their site, and now their most notorius of placing password loggers in their viewers that people download which they have already deleted a few peoples Second Life iventory.

I checked out that link you posted about the FBI, and I have filed a complaint there because one of the avatars the copy off of me while most of it was other peoples creations I actually do hold copyright to one or two textures on my body a couple of tattoos which gives me enough excuse to claim CopyRight. The question however is if the FBI will do a damn thing I filed the complaint on their "Internet Crime Complaint Center" giving as much information as I could and they say they do not have the resources to respond to reports filed so to me it seems like I need the money to go hire a lawyer or something.

What I really do know is these griefer goons need to go, yes it is dangerous to expose your main accounts when posting any information about this now because they could target you.

The problem I see is that a lot of these goons are from Italy, France, and Romania, Germany, I am not racist I know not everyone from these countries are guilty, but I am saying quite a few of them come from outside the U.S so what is the FBI going to do, and what could I do in the U.S even if I had a lawyer.

It seems like Linden Lab would do a better job at protecting people during their registration process, verifying accuracy of information given, and actually protect its residents in SL from account hacks, but as you all know this one persons inventory had over 45k items
KingGoon
compromised their account not a thing
LL
could do and they have quit SL.

Is there any other steps I can really take that won't cost me a lot of moeny to get these goons jailed in Real Life reguardless of their country like international LAW or something. I am willing to use any excuse I can to get anything done legally including the two assets of mine they stole while it wasn't much I will use it as an excuse.

I also filed complaints on their website for illegal piracy of Real World content, Movies, Games, and Music to the RIAA, MOPA, and software companies explaining the piracy I have seen there.

On the other hand one of my merchant partners has had their entire store cloned and given away in Second Life & On this site full permissions and we are sick of it, and god knows when they might decide to try to compromise our accounts next for any reason. What will protect us.

As I mentioned, and the FBI website states, the FBI has arrangements with foreign law enforcement agencies with whom they cooperate. 

Silenced1 wrote:

How is it xenophobic to make the observation that not all content thieves are from the US?

Because you didn't said that. You actually named a small group of countries and said basically that these are the ones the content thieves likely come from.

The problem I see is that a lot of these goons are from Italy, France, and Romania, Germany

If you would have had the intention to express that its difficult to catch someone from a different country you could have said that in many different ways. But you haven't. You picked some european countries and said that where the bad guys come from. And thats xenophobic since you don't have any vaild data about where the cobybotters come from.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Silenced1 wrote:

How is it xenophobic to make the observation that not all content thieves are from the US?

Because you didn't said that. You actually named a small group of countries and said basically that these are the ones the content thieves likely come from.

I did not.

The OP named these countries as examples of non-US jurisdictions but said nothing regarding the liklihood of thieves coming from them.

Well its not that hard to make this observation when you have seen what I have seen in SL over the years of logging in & playing.

I am not really here to judge countries based on this, be racist, or say that a country is bad because I am not, and I am not going to make the claim that no bots come from the U.S because doing such would not be true.

However what I am saying is that Over the years of playing SL my obeservations I have noticed that most the bots I run into have come from foreign countries, and its not hard to tell because they are speaking it in text, and some of them over the mic, and I know what language it is even verified it through google translate, and not only this but in SL is only part of it. I had the person on my contacts list outside of Second Life and I saw they were also from a foreign country as well.

When I checked the Host of the website I talk about which keeps changing I noticed that the site  was hosted in Germany by a germany provider checked it by WHOIS multiple times.

If you actually make a throw away account of course assuming you are willing to risk the security or use a different computer you could always go create some of yoru own content and leak it as if you are a griefer making a share and get in as a Spy, and then you can find out easily where a lot of these griefers come from the people who BlackMail others with things like You do this or I am going to Do this and so on. Although there is no need because over the years I have kept a very good eye on quite a few goons winks, and its finally come to the point where I have absolutely had it, and so have the people I know in SL who wish to remain anonymous they have gone too far.

While I have mentioned foreign countries here this was just an observation of things I have seen over the years, you see most botting griefers like to hang around Welcome Areas, RolePlay areas like "GOR" which is a big place so they can clone avatars this is where I usually find the foreign botters.

However with saying this Do you all remember the Voice Exploit,where it was possible to obtain peoples IP addresses and geolocate them? Yes thats right I used this exploit on many of the little kiddies hanging around the welcome area years ago its not illegal to do just monitoring my own packets off my network card, and you see I discovered that quite a few of these IP's were likely Kids with Girefer accounts, and I will say they were from the U.S because I tracked back their IP, and they were not on a Proxy or VPN either I ran multiple checks. They have the nerve to hang around welcome areas and brag about how they Copy Stuff, Laugh on the mic, and you think you can hide behind all your alts from someone like me think again, I am not stupid, and I am not someone who abuse things in fact this is the first time I have ever said anything about using this exploit and knowing this I am done I want to see these griefing kids gone.

http://www.iprcenter.gov/ I don't know what else to say other than I filed a long report here explaining the issue, and all the Hosts of the site I could find on google, I think that other merchants who hold intellectual property rights do the same thing especially when you know your work has been posted there the more who file the more chance hopefully it will get taken down and they will legally do something here about the Bot's, and finally justice will be served to the person who is running this service, and all of those making donations, as well as posting the content themselves.

Something needs to be done to save Second Life from this grief.

RebelAngel92 wrote:

Well its not that hard to make this observation when you have seen what I have seen in SL over the years of logging in & playing.

Its human nature to judge "others" as a group and folks of your own kind as individuals.

You can get cut off in traffic 3 times by a person of the same ethnic background and just be mad at 'that crazy driver', but get cut off by 1 of another ethnic background and people will start making ethnic comments, never noticing the 100 drivers that did -NOT- cut them off.

So ask yourself how many Italians, Germans, and Romanians have -NOT- done a phishing scam?

When you start to do that, its get a lot more complicated and it starts to become clearer that bias is in play and needs to be screened out.

Its human nature though. Anyone who claims they do not do it is likely doing it -more- than the rest of us because they are not being mindful of it.

(Thus what Shakyamuni meant by 'mindfulness as the path to enlightenment' - you can't get anywhere until you first become actually aware of where you are.)

When Yeshua said "let he who is free of sin cast the first stone' he was not just saying the good folks can do the stoning here... he was reminding us all that we -ALL- have the same general flaws. To try and pretend we don't, usually reveals we're possessed of more than our fair share of them due to hiding it from ourselves.

RebelAngel92 wrote:

I don't know what else to say other than I filed a long report here explaining the issue, and all the Hosts of the site I could find on google, I think that other merchants who hold intellectual property rights do the same thing especially when you know your work has been posted there the more who file the more chance hopefully it will get taken down and they will legally do something here about the Bot's, and finally justice will be served to the person who is running this service, and all of those making donations, as well as posting the content themselves.

Something needs to be done to save Second Life from this grief.

Here folks can get behind you. Though I don't think general griefing is as common as some do (I think they selectively target, and focus on certain themes or kinds of areas - so some folks experience amazing amounts of it, and others next to none), any level of it needs to be dealt with, and dealt with more harshly than is presently being done.

RebelAngel92 wrote:

I am not racist I know not everyone from these countries are guilty, but I am saying quite a few of them come from outside the U.S so what is the FBI going to do, 

Pass on the complaint to the e-crimes investigators in the appropriate country, along with any evidence they've been able to obtain from LL?   That's the way it normally works, I think. 

Silenced1 wrote:

The OP named these countries as examples of non-US jurisdictions but said nothing regarding the liklihood of thieves coming from them.

The OP said "The problem I see is that a lot of these goons are from Italy, France, and Romania, Germany". That to me is saying a lot about the liklihood of thieves coming from those countries.

Ahhh, yes. That would have been my reply that was removed - along with a post I put in the SL viewer forum - as I had the temerity as a paying customer to criticize LL's customer service record and priorities. As both my posts were pulled, and this forum is seriously censored to deflect any critique of LL, this will be my last post in these forums.

I've said some rough things about LLs in past - but rarely had anything pulled from here.

The few times I've been moderated, its been for being a bit rough on another user. I'm only dubious about one of those calls, the others I likely would have self moderated if not so 'riled up' at the time I'd posted them.

One thing that helps if you're going to criticize the company is to steer clear of foul language or foul phrasing, and to be on point. Don't meander around with a litany of accusations that are not exactly on point to the topic at hand.

And be balanced. They don't do -everything- wrong after all... :P

Hey, yes, I must apologize (kinda) for my wording there but I was very riled up/amused by what sounded like a blank generalization. Furtheron in other comments was mentioning of "foreign contries", which again is a kinda xenophobic statement.

I don't know which country anybody here is from, and frankly I couldn't give a phuk about it. So if you speak of foreign countries what countries do you mean? For example "my country" is Germany, so it's not at all foreign but very familiar. On the other hand countries like the USA and stuff are very exotic, alien places. Foreign in every sense of the word! It would be just too easy to state that everything is totally weird and wrong there. Still I don't say the USA is to blame for copybotters and griefers.

For me it's an individual thing.

Orca Flotta wrote:

Hey, yes, I must apologize (kinda) for my wording there but I was very riled up/amused by what sounded like a blank generalization. Furtheron in other comments was mentioning of "foreign contries", which again is a kinda xenophobic statement.

I don't know which country anybody here is from, and frankly I couldn't give a phuk about it. So if you speak of foreign countries what countries do you mean? For example "my country" is Germany, so it's not at all foreign but very familiar. On the other hand countries like the USA and stuff are very exotic, alien places. Foreign in every sense of the word! It would be just too easy to state that everything is totally weird and wrong there. Still I don't say the USA is to blame for copybotters and griefers.

For me it's an individual thing.

Since I live in the US, all other countries to me are foreign.  I would add it to my PC scorecard but it is full up.

In any case the OP was explicit about her reason for listing some foreign countries -- ie, she was asking how citizens there could be prosecuted since they are not within the FBI's jurisdiction, so I would really have to squint my eyes up to see it as a xenophobic to list some examples of foreign countries, or to call them foreign.

BTW, since I happen to know that China is by far the world's biggest IP Infringer, and I also think it is a foreign country, does that make me xenophobic too?

Sigren Panthar wrote:

Ahhh, yes. That would have been my reply that was removed - along with a post I put in the SL viewer forum - as I had the temerity as a paying customer to criticize LL's customer service record and priorities. As both my posts were pulled, and this forum is seriously censored to deflect any critique of LL, this will be my last post in these forums.

If you think the forum mods are actively censoring posts that criticize Linden Labs then you have clearly not bothered looking at many threads on this forum, Go over to the merchants section and you will generally find criticism in every single thread.

For what it's worth, I did a double-take when I read what he'd written, but I think he was simply -- though rather clumsily, maybe -- asking what the FBI can do about complaints about possible criminal offences apparently committed by people based outside the USA (which some of the KingGoon crowd certainly are).

Innula Zenovka wrote:

For what it's worth, I did a double-take when I read what he'd written, but I think he was simply -- though rather clumsily, maybe -- asking what the FBI can do about complaints about possible criminal offences apparently committed by people based outside the USA (which some of the KingGoon crowd certainly are).

Yes, that could have been the intent, I guess. I think the way it was written made it possible to understand the statement in very different ways. As for the what the FBI can do—plenty, it appears. This recent article about the international takedown of a crime ring based in Facebook shows that. Not sure I can see that  happening over a Second Life crime but who knows?

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yes, that could have been the intent, I guess. I think the way it was written made it possible to understand the statement in very different ways. As for the what the FBI can do—plenty, it appears. This recent 
about the international takedown of a crime ring based in Facebook shows that. Not sure I can see that  happening over a Second Life crime but who knows?

Just for reference:

"(iv) Post, display or transmit any material, object or text that encourages, represents, or facilitates sexual "age play," i.e., using child-like avatars in a sexualized manner. You may review our full Age Play Policy here;

Incidents under sections (iii) and (iv) above are grounds for immediate termination. You understand and agree that we may report any and all such incidents -- and any and all of your corresponding personal information -- to any authorities we deem appropriate, whether or not it in and of itself violates the law of your (or any) jurisdiction."

http://secondlife.com/corporate/tos.php

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Yes, that could have been the intent, I guess. I think the way it was written made it possible to understand the statement in very different ways. As for the what the FBI can do—plenty, it appears. This recent 
about the international takedown of a crime ring based in Facebook shows that.
Not sure I can see that  happening over a Second Life crime but who knows?

The FBI does go after the big fish but not ONLY the big.  Smaller ones think the FBI does not notice them -- until they find themselves in handcuffs. Surprise!   

Here is one of the international big fish shut down by the FBI this year:  fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/justice-department-charges-leaders-of-megaupload-with-widespread-online-copyright-infringement

Here is an excerpt:

The indictment alleges that the criminal enterprise is led by Kim Dotcom, aka Kim Schmitz, and Kim Tim Jim Vestor, 37, a resident of both Hong Kong and New Zealand. Dotcom founded Megaupload Limited and is the director and sole shareholder of Vestor Limited, which has been used to hold his ownership interests in the Mega-affiliated sites.

In addition, the following alleged members of the Mega conspiracy were charged in the indictment:

• Finn Batato, 38, a citizen and resident of Germany, who is the chief marketing officer;
  • Julius Bencko, 35, a citizen and resident of Slovakia, who is the graphic designer;
  • Sven Echternach, 39, a citizen and resident of Germany, who is the head of business development;
  • Mathias Ortmann, 40, a citizen of Germany and resident of both Germany and Hong Kong, who is the chief technical officer, co-founder and director;
  • Andrus Nomm, 32, a citizen of Estonia and resident of both Turkey and Estonia, who is a software programmer and head of the development software division;
  • Bram van der Kolk, aka Bramos, 29, a Dutch citizen and resident of both the Netherlands and New Zealand, who oversees programming and the underlying network structure for the Mega conspiracy websites.

Dotcom, Batato, Ortmann, and van der Kolk were arrested today in Auckland, New Zealand, by New Zealand authorities, who executed provisional arrest warrants requested by the United States. Bencko, Echternach, and Nomm remain at large. Today, law enforcement also executed more than 20 search warrants in the United States and eight countries, seized approximately $50 million in assets, and targeted sites where Megaupload has servers in Ashburn, Va., Washington, D.C., the Netherlands, and Canada. In addition, the U.S. District Court in Alexandria, Va., ordered the seizure of 18 domain names associated with the alleged Mega conspiracy.

Silenced1 wrote:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Innula Zenovka wrote:

about the international takedown of a crime ring based in Facebook shows that.
Not sure I can see that  happening over a Second Life crime but who knows?

The FBI does go after the big fish but not ONLY the big.  Smaller ones think the FBI does not notice them -- until they find themselves in handcuffs. Surprise!   

Here is one of the international big fish shut down by the FBI this year:

And here's an update, from rather later this year:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/09/24/uk-newzealand-dotcom-inquiry-idUKBRE88N02W20120924

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/26/kim_dotcom_claims_entrapment_plans_legal_offensive/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/09/kim_dotcom_shows_off_new_service/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4149 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.