term "Destination Guide" in search is misleading

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was using the search inworld trying to find different things using different search terms. I wanted to see how easily i could find the sim my store is on.

I was amazed that no matter what i typed in, the sim never showed in results. I had incorrectly assumed the "destination guide" would show me all the destinations pertaining to the search term i used.

I mean when you type in a search term, you are then shown these categories to choose

everything

events

destination guide

land & rentals

people

groups

places

support

I look down the list and the first thing comes to mind is "destination guide".

I mean i been going off of it for ages now. I had no idea these "search results" arent search results at all. I can only imagine how many times someone has searched for my sim and has no Idea it even exists because they too are incorrectly assuming the destination guide is showing them all the results.

The only sims that appear in destination guide are hand picked by who knows at LL...its kinda frustrating.

The destination guide should not be included in search results. or they need to make it in BOLD PRINT, that Destination guide is only a fraction of actual results and that all results can be found in "places".

Yeah i've read it. My point in posting is that when people search, the first thing they see after a searching for a place is the destination guide. The destination guide isn't really a search result as many places are omitted.

People may inncorrectly assume as i did..for months...that the destination guide is showing them all of the results pertaining to their search. People are being short changed because the search page is poorly set up.

I am not a noob, i have been in SL for years. I thought when i searched...for a destination....that the most likely place to narrow my search was in destination guide.

I have a shop on a combat sim. I searched the term combat. I assumed i would see all results in destination guide.

The only reason i questioned results was because i knew the sim wasnt there.

People who have no idea this sim existed will not question and now will not go searching any further assuming they got all results.

Something else I noticed. I TP'd to one of the sims listed in the "destination guide" under my search term "combat"...it no longer exists...so the destiantion guide is guiding people to sims that no longer exist while omitting sims who hope for traffic.

Is LL hell bent on sabotaging itself and the residents of SL?

Destination Guide needs to be reworked and relooked at, and it should NOT be used in search unless it is made clear that the results shown there ARE NOT ALL THERE IS!!!

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Personally when I search for something I always start off on "Everything" just because that's what it defaults to. If I'm looking for a place I'll use the "Places" button which has the icon of a landmark. Have you found anyone else who assumes all places would be under "Destinations"?

no...but the topic of how you search doesnt come up very often,

I'm curious. Do you skip over the destination guide because you know what it is? Or do your eyes just automatically gravitate to "places" instead of  "destination"

im really curious how many people actually know what the guide is. If i wouldn't have looked it up i would have gone on believing that is was a seach tool for narrowing search.  What else would i think it was there for? there is no explaination of what it is unless you google it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4146 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.