Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

Yes you can get a bot to do it.  A bot is a SL avatar controlled by software instead of  person.  You can fix them up and attach things to them like an AO and program them to do a lot of things.  The software can be run on your own computer or on a server that you rent space on.  There are bot services in SL that will host them.  Software is free.  You must register them as a scripted agent when creating the avatar or risk being suspended or banned.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Yes you can get a bot to do it.  A bot is a SL avatar controlled by software instead of  person.  You can fix them up and attach things to them like an AO and program them to do a lot of things.  The software can be run on your own computer or on a server that you rent space on.  There are bot services in SL that will host them.  Software is free.  You must register them as a scripted agent when creating the avatar or risk being suspended or banned.

Any idea where I can get this software? and more info about this (I'm a pretty versed scripter and 3D Modeler)

I have my own server (web) if thats whats needed and another here (linux and Win 7)

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to call this a bad idea.

People want real interaction and will quickly realize they are dealing with a 'program.'

It's the same way for stores that use "bots" for modelling their clothes.  It irked me when I first encountered this.  I had a product question and felt 'ignored' when I received no response.

Shop owners should give them display names:  Laggy Mannequin #1, Laggy Mannequin #2, etc, etc.

 

Oh wow...I just thought of a good use for display names.  I knew there had to be one!

Link to post
Share on other sites

depends on how is done i think

+

is 2 shops i buy stuff off. they got bot models. in both shops they up on pedestals. on their profiles it says they store models

in this other place they sell snow globes. a bit like this

3011310-818951-snow-globe-and-dancer-girl-against-a-blue-background.jpg

 

you can sit on them

they had a demo with a bot on it doing a anim ballet with music. was quite pretty i thought

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

Bots don't lag a place.

can you provide any documentation?

my brain says, a bot is still an agent.

each additional agent adds to server and viewer load.

at a certain point, as the number of agents increases, which client side will depend on the computer, we begin to lag.

if there is no way for me to identify a bot other than an educated guess, i have no way to test this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Perrie. I can't produce any documentation unless a statement from one (me) who used to use almost 40 bots in the same sim can be considered as documentation. My bots didn't cause any noticable slowing down (lag). If they been moving around, they would have caused lag, of course, but they were all static and most of them were way up in the sky and out of anyone's normal range. I did have 8 in the store though and the sim/store performance was the same whether they (and the rest) were logged in or not.

What you really mean is that stuff (including avatars), can lag sims. If there is enough stuff, of course sims will be lagged because every little thing means a little bit more work for the server. But lag is only lag if it slows things down - causes things to lag behind where they would normally have been. It's not lag if there is no slowing down. So, stuff, including avatars, can cause lag, but usually not, and it can't be correctly said that "bots cause lag".

ETA: You pretty much said it yourself with that "at a certain point" sentence. At a certain point, things will begin to slow, but no more blame can be placed on bots than can be placed on other avatars. If fact less blame can be attributed to most bots, because they don'y move and nothing about them needs to be updated in other people's viewers.

So it's not bots at all. It's the amount of 'stuff'.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

@Perrie. I can't produce any documentation unless a statement from one (me) who used to use almost 40 bots in the same sim can be considered as documentation. My bots didn't cause any noticable slowing down (lag). If they been moving around, they would have caused lag, of course, but they were all static and most of them were way up in the sky and out of anyone's normal range. I did have 8 in the store though and the sim/store performance was the same whether they (and the rest) were logged in or not.

What you really mean is that stuff (including avatars), can lag sims. If there is enough stuff, of course sims will be lagged because every little thing means a little bit more work for the server. But lag is only lag if it slows things down - causes things to lag behind where they would normally have been. It's not lag if there is no slowing down. So, stuff, including avatars,
can
cause lag, but usually not, and it can't be correctly said that "bots cause lag".

ETA: You pretty much said it yourself with that "
at a certain point
" sentence. At a certain point, things will begin to slow, but no more blame can be placed on bots than can be placed on other avatars. If fact less blame can be attributed to most bots, because they don'y move and nothing about them needs to be updated in other people's viewers.

So it's not bots at all. It's the amount of 'stuff'.

i guess if the bots were bare naked with no attached scripts, etc, then what you say about it being the 'amount of stuff' would be true.

thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

None of them were naked :) Most of them wore the noob clothes they got when registering, the bed demo models wore a minimal amount of clothes, and 4 other bots were dressed as mobile characters and were controlled by a combination of scripts in prims and local (my computer) programming. None of them had any scripts on at all. At worst, the 4 mobile ones were equivalent to normal avatars, but probably added significantly less to the server's work than normal avatars.

The point is that bots don't cause lag. Like everything else (prims, textures, avatars, etc.), they add a little to the total amount of work that a server has to do and that's all. Bots generally add a lot less to a server's work than normal avatars. Through the years, bots have had an undeserved bad reputation for lag, but the reputation came about only because some people seriously disliked bots, and so they incorrectly best-guessed the lag idea - they said anything they could think of against bots, and they probably believed that what they said was true, so I don't accuse anyone of dishonesty - just of being mistaken. For instance, it was quite common for someone to post that <place> was very laggy because of the bots they found underwater nearby. They disliked bots a lot so they decided that the lag was caused by the bots. They didn't even consider that the massive amount of textures, objects, other avatars, etc. might be causing the lag. They hated bots so it was the bots that caused it as far as they were concerned. It all added to the incorrect idea that bots cause lag.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:

Bots generally add a lot less to a server's work than normal avatars. 

That's true of pure traffic bots, high in the sky, but I think the OP here has it in mind that they should be down mingling with the masses, and that's going to lag viewers pretty much the same as if the avatars had real people manipulating them. That said, however, the whole point is to make the place look busy, so if it were actually that busy--full of real-people-operated avatars--there'd be all that viewer lag then, too.

Independent of lag, I think it's a mistake to people a club with bot dancers. It's exactly the same mistake to use dancers who are perpetually AFK. If a club is full of zombies, the overall level of engagement approaches that same zombie level.

Unless maybe the dancers also serve as bobo dolls for target practice. That could be fun. Different kind of club, I'm guessing.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Qie Niangao wrote:



Independent of lag, I think it's a mistake to people a club with bot dancers. It's exactly the same mistake to use dancers who are perpetually AFK. If a club is full of zombies, the overall level of engagement approaches that same zombie level.

Unless maybe the dancers also serve as bobo dolls for target practice. That could be fun. Different kind of club, I'm guessing.

This reminds me of something I saw back in the days when Camping was legal.

It was in a very adult oriented location.

A person could park their Avatar on a pose ball for anyone who happened by to **bleep**.

I don't know if it was more funny or sad, but watching someone **bleep**ing an AFK Avatar has got to be one of the wildest things I have ever witnessed in SL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree completely about it being a mistake to use bots to make a place appear fuller than it actually is. Imo, it's something that the OP ought not to do.

However, I don't agree that bots in a club, just dancing and doing nothing else, adds the same amount of workload as normals avs to either the server or to viewers. For one thing, they won't talk. Another thing is that they won't move (change location). Also they won't cam around or do anything to change their view, and they won't change dance animations. In other words, once a real person avatar has got the bot's data, there will be no more data for the server to process, send out, and for the viewer to receive. So, overall, a dancing bot almost certainly causes significantly less work for the server than normal avatars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Perrie Juran wrote:

This reminds me of something I saw back in the days when Camping was legal.

It was in a very adult oriented location.

A person could park their Avatar on a pose ball for anyone who happened by to **bleep**.

I don't know if it was more funny or sad, but watching someone **bleep**ing an AFK Avatar has got to be one of the wildest things I have ever witnessed in SL.

First: camping IS legal. I have 2 camping chairs in my store and, as everybody know, I wouldn't have them there if they weren't legal :)

Last: When I was new I found myself in a place like that. I actually watched a female av get into a place ready for anyone to have their way with her. At the time, I was new enough to never have heard of camping so I don't know whether or not it was a camping system. If I'd known about camping, and if it was a camping system, I'd have had an alt spend a lot of time there.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Qie Niangao wrote:


Phil Deakins wrote:

Bots generally add a lot less to a server's work than normal avatars. 

That's true of pure traffic bots, high in the sky, but I think the OP here has it in mind that they should be down mingling with the masses, and that's going to lag viewers pretty much the same as if the avatars had real people manipulating them. That said, however, the whole point is to make the place look busy, so if it were
actually
that busy--full of real-people-operated avatars--there'd be all that viewer lag then, too.

Independent of lag, I think it's a mistake to people a club with bot dancers. It's exactly the same mistake to use dancers who are perpetually AFK. If a club is full of zombies, the overall level of engagement approaches that same zombie level..

The 'OP' (me) is planning to people an adult club with Real Person Dancers (already have them) who have thier own dance routines and take $L tips from viewers, When these people are not around due to 'Real Life' (Sleeping, spending time away from the computer etc.) A 'bot' using thier account will be placed and will also take tips for them (While the 'bot' is active on thier account, they will be listed as a 'scripted' avatar on the LL lab pages and when they are there for real, will not).

I may just state thier accounts as 'scripted' permenatly (with thier permission) because if I am not mistaken only 25 real people are allowed in a parcel at the same time. I am not really concerned with 'fake traffic' as the club will be mostly busy with just my friends in second life.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Qie Niangao wrote:

Unless maybe the dancers also serve as bobo dolls for target practice. That could be fun. Different kind of club, I'm guessing.


agree

worse thing anyone can do these days in a adult venue is put a bot on a pole or up on the counter doing a wiggle. has been done to death that

is right up there with a shacklebot under a sign saying use me. derr !!!

+

i saw one adult sim tho where they had catchme and fighter bots. was quite a few people on there hunting them and each other. i thought that was done pretty well

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Phil Deakins wrote:



First: camping IS legal. I have 2 camping chairs in my store and, as everybody know, I wouldn't have them there if they weren't legal
:)

 

I stand corrected.  It was gaming traffic that ran into restrictions as I recall, camping potentially falling under the restrictions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, the 25 avatars per parcel that you mentioned doesn't exist. Mainland sims can have up to 40 avatars on them, and they can all be on a single parcel on the sim. Private island sims can have up to 100 simultaneously.

If your club is listed in search, you could come a cropper with your scripted agent idea. You'll be relying on the dancers complying with your wishes because you can't register them as scripted agents, and you can't see whether they are registered or not. So you could end up on the wrong side of the rules a lot when one or more of them simply can't bothered to register each time.

Also, if you intend attracting people to the club, using bots is more likely to turn people away when they discover that there aren't any real people there. Even more so if the bots have tips jars. Who wants to tip a bot? That's why people say that it's a bad idea. On the other hand, using bots that are registered as scripted agents, all ready for people to 'interact' with in adult ways, may attract quite a few people, especially noobs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

However, I don't agree that bots in a club, just dancing and doing nothing else, adds the same amount of workload as normals avs to either the server or to viewers. For one thing, they won't talk. Another thing is that they won't move (change location). Also they won't cam around or do anything to change their view, and they won't change dance animations. In other words, once a real person avatar has got the bot's data, there will be no more data for the server to process, send out, and for the viewer to receive. So, overall, a dancing bot almost certainly causes significantly less work for the server than normal avatars.

Agreed that bots should send much less update traffic from sim to viewer than would a comparable human-controlled avatar. (There may be some, depending how the dancing is controlled, and depending what scripts these temporarily bottified dancers are wearing, but yeah: should be negligible.)

For viewer lag, however, it's not just the updates that matter. An avatar is a complex hunk of geometry and textures to render, especially when it's wearing a ton of sculpties and flexies and alpha-channel textured prims, all in front of other avatars and other sculpties, flexies, and alpha-textured prims. Again, this is no worse if the avatar is run by a bot than if it's run by a human, so for the purposes of this club, it's pretty much intentional. It is, however, very different from a traffic bot that's been optimized for ease of rezzing (and especially if it's been hidden from view altogether).

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...