A viewer for Adobe Flash?

KarjamP

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Flash is more or less dead and will be replaced by HTML5 in the nearer future.

Fully featured browser based viewers would not make too much sense at this time, they would be slow and irresponsive. WebGL for example is 90% slower than OpenGL, and I am sure that noone would like to use a browser based 'viewer' that delivers  stunning 2-5 fps in low graphics

J.

This article would explain why saying HTML5 would replace flash is nonsense.

While it may eventually replace Flash as a common tool, it doesn't mean Flash would be phrased out.

In fact, Adobe is currently making it powerful enough to run console-quality games.

It can run Unreal Engine games, as revealed here.

In other words, it'll be repurposed to have other uses on the web like web game developement.

Therefore, I say we can still port it to Flash.

Yay, flash can run unreal.....

Takes 3 minutes to download the 'assets', 1 minute to downlad the executable ( 32mBit/s cable here)  and then I am able to see water, a black sky and some bushes floating in between??

Installed Flash vesion: 11.2.202.243, Browser Firefox 17.0.1

Very convincing.

I'd go completely nuts if this happened in Sl, downloading the world and  my inventory for an hour, and then seeing nothing but water and sky....

Flash is dying, face it, the new windows RT Tablets don't offer full flash support anymore , iOS never has supported flash, Android has stopped supporting flash in V 4.0, flash development as stand alone plugin for Linux has been stopped too, it has been and still is unsafe, slow and proprietary, so why use an outdated, dying and slow technology?

J.

Second Life dynamically downloads assets, as the world's objects, avatars, buildings, etc. are made by the people who made it.

Which is why it's always downloads stuff.

Of course, you may have already know that. :smileytongue:

The client itself is only about approx 30MB compared to the over (i guessing) 100MB that the Unreal Engine demo has (it downloads all the assets in one go).

By the way, Flash isn't dying, as it's still supported by Adobe.

Why wouldn't they make Flash this powerful if it didn't?

Even if HTML5 replaces Flash, Flash would still be used (if not for web apps and games, then for animations).

For now, though, HTML5 is primitive compared to Flash. Why can't we support Flash now?

If HTML5 ever gets as advanced as Flash as well as having a C++ compiler for it like what Flash currently has, then we can consider supporting HTML5.

See this for myths about HTML5. One of it is about it killing Flash. Another one is "HTML5 won’t be ready till 2022." (quoted from the article).

Smartphones and tablets do not support Flash. Before Steve Jobs died he explained why Apple decided not to support Flash. Google for it. More and more devices and browsers have given up on Flash.

Adobe has a big investment in Flash. But, they have been falling behind in device support. I use the CS6 packages. They are trying to move users into cloud based software. Their installable software in CS6 has lots of problems and they are slow updating it. To get work done I switch back to CS5 Dreamweaver. This is some of the problem that Jobs complained about.

The problem is Adobe has gotten fat and sloppy, IMO. So, they may continue to support and hype Flash for another couple of years. But, the industry is abandoning the Flash product. A number of people are posting their displeasure with CS6 Dreamweaver. More with the cloud computing idea. If your Internet connection is down you can't work. Dumb. Adobe has some serious problems.

Flash is dying. HTML5 is taking over.

I didn't start this topic to discuss "Flash is dying, HTML5 is taking over".

I started it to discuss whenever to port the viewer to Flash.

Flash is still available as a plugin for major PC browsers, and IE10 and Google Chrome both still have it built in.

Besides, even if there's no plugins for Mac OS X  or something like that, the dominant computers are ones with Windows operating systems, not IMacs.

If one wants a client for smartphones, then one can develope a version FOR the smartphones. Even if GPL-based coding can't be used, it's possible to do a Clean room design on the client itself to recreate it without the GPL'd components.

HTML5 killing Flash is a myth according to here.

Sure, HTML5 would eventually dominate the market, it doesn't mean Flash would be deprecated.

Adobe seems to be repurposing it for web-based programs like games (like that Unreal Engine example).

Also, it said that the working draft for HTML5 is closed ("meaning nothing more can be added or significantly changed") in 2009.

It's not outdated if current features of Flash can run Unreal Engine.

If this doesn't say about "Flash is dying", then Adobe has a very detailed roadmap detailing developement of the Flash Player.

If it is dying, then why is Flash still being improved upon?

Sorry if I came about as rude, it's just that I don't think it's dying.

Yes, HTML5 may replace it as the dominant tech, but it won't kill it.

Okay, that prooves that HTML5 can be used as a platform for a virtual world.

If one wants to port it to HTML5 (which not all browsers support, and not too fully by some other browsers unless they have plugins), then one can use Emscripten to port it.

Sorry that I've got angry, it's just that I don't want to hear people saying "Flash is dead", "I don't want to support old technology", "HTML5 is killing Flash", etc. because I don't think those are true.

Like I've said in my previous post (which I've edited to make more sence), HTML5 may replace it as the dominant tech, but it won't kill it outright (Okay, I've added a word here and deleted one).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.