LL V3 viewer profile oddity

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just noticed this the other day. I'm using the latest 'official' V3 viewer but my profile is (sort of) wrong. When someone has entered both a 1st life description and picture, the About tab displays them both - Real World Profile Picture and Real World Biography. I've had both a picture and a bit of text in my First Life section of my profile for a long time but only the text shows in my V3 profile - the picture doesn't show at all, and the heading 'Real World Profile Picture' isn't listed, presumably because it doesn't think there is one. Both of them show fine in the Phoenix viewer.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's because I included the picture before the V3 came out, or maybe the V3 insists on a smaller file size or dimensions than previous viewers did. I never used the V2 so I've no idea about that.

ETA: The picture that does show in the V1 viewer is 64x64 and definitely not larger than the allowed 5Mb. Also, the 2nd life picture shows fine, and that was also added before the V3 came out.

That Edit facility is available from the inworld profile too, and I'd already looked at it. It only allows the choosing of a picture from the local computer and not from the avatar's inventory - where mine exists.

What I'm puzzled about it why the V3 profile didn't include the existing 1st life picture when it included everything else from the profile, including the 1st life text. And I wanted to know if it was normal for the V3 or if leaving it out is something that only happened to me.

No, for at least some of my accounts, it's taken the 1st life picture as it was in earlier viewers.  I don't recall it going missing for any of them that actually had 1st life pictures, and I think I'd probably notice.

You could download the picture from inventory and use it again, of course.

I've pondered the viability of a bot army that did nothing but update their profile pictures with textures people wanted to use but didn't want to pay for uploading, handing back the picture's UUID once it made it into the profile page. Never quite figured out how bad the delays were... and of course it only works for scripts that paint from texture UUID, although one could imagine a TPV functionality that made that relatively seamless.

I did as you suggested - save the original pic to my computer (because it's a newish computer and the original isn't on it) and set it in my V3 profile. Along the way, it had to have a format change in PhotShop and, because it was only ever a snip of a larger picture, its life's experience means that it's not a very clear picture now. It probably wasn't when it started life.

Your idea of getting textures into SL that can be used by UUID is novel. I like that kind of novel thinking.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.