Newbie premium needs home & advice

mmoconnor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am brand new and upgraded because I wanted to get a house.

I don't know anyone in SL. I am interested in cheerful things. Not x-rated, zombies, etc.

The help topic said this: You can get a free Linden Home, OR you can buy, from another resident, up to 512 square meters on the Mainland and hold it without paying any monthly tier fees.

Should I get a Linden home? I figured out how to do it.

But people say that Linden is lonely and isolated.

Should I buy from another resident? If so, where and how do I do this?

Thank you for your help.

Welcome to Second Life, and to Second Life Forums.

The Linden Homes can be a good place to live in Second Life, and as you are so very new, I would recommend this, if you want to have a place to call your own. 

But...

Do not stay in your home. Use it as a place to return to, to unpack shopping, or to have your friends round to.

Explore as much of Second Life as you want to, and you will always meet other people with similar interests.

Have a look at this ...

https://secondlife.com/my/whatnext/?lang=en-US

Point number two gives you good ideas how to meet friends, suggests the Destination Guide, offers tutorials about the basic things you need to know in Second Life ...

... and, of course, visit your Dashboard on a regular basis https://secondlife.com/my/?lang=en-US  which will show you the latest information about Second Life, including (if you scroll down the page) some potentially interesting events, places to go, meet, shop, and sometimes contests.

Do not expect to know everything at once.  There is much to learn in Second Life.  Develop your own character first - by that I mean, have a good look around, and you will find your niche.  If you have a skill or preference of hobby in real life, maybe that will also develop in some way in Second Life. 

You are about to embark on what could be the most life-changing and fun adventure of your life.

Have fun!

Check out the Mainland Parcels For Sale forum, as there are usually plenty of folks there selling land.  There will be links there, such as this:

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ziczac/76/145/132

Click one of the links and it will tp you to the land in question.  If it suits your needs, right click on the land, click on About Land, then click Buy Land.  However, before you do, you shoujld abandon your Linden home.  If you first buy the new land, you will temporarily own 1024 of land, and will have a higher monthly tier for that month even if you were only at 1024 for a minute or two.

Unlike Linden Homes, you won't get a free house.  But the land is yours to do with as you wish.  Play around with the terrain tools.  Depending on the elivation the land is at you might even be able to push it underwater!  Most of the time, though, you can make rolling hills, flat land, or slopes.  Enjoy!

You can also rent land from a Private estate. Some are themed...some have a big social side to them...its really worth looking around. Just look in the classifieds and you will find an abundance of private rentals, not to get into the age old argument of mainland v private estates...BUT...mainland isnt everyones cup of tea, you will find more regulation about ugly builds, neon lit clubs etc on a private estate (if youre unsure if its a good estate, check the names over rent boxes and ask people living there, they usually dont mind)

Also, you can rent yourself a home, furnished or unfurnished on a private estate. This might be very helpful to a new person. Generally youll get some great furnishings and lovely homes, without even having to think about shopping yourself...spend your time doing things you love - as opposed to decorating (later you may find you also LOVE to decorate !) You may also find that Private estates have a management team who are there to assist you...very handy :-)

You DONT need a premium account to have a home ! One thing that totally irritates me is the fact that LL dont make that obvious to newcomers, thus ensuring people sign up for premium accounts on the  belief they HAVE to so they can have a home...tsk

you probably already decide what to do. i just put here for anyone else who might read

+

if you brandnew and have gone Premium then always get the Linden Home first. then set your homeplace to it: menu: World \ Set Home to Here.

so that if you exploring and get sent home by a security orb or press the Home button on the viewer. you then always end up at familar place. your own house

after that then get/buy some cheap/free low prim furniture and learn to rezz/mount it in your home. being only 117 prims availabe then you learn really fast about Land Impact and how important that is

learn/experiment with the parcel controls settings that your house is on. menu: World \ About Land. see what they do. see what happens when you change the settings

after you got the hang of these then  look at upgrading your tier if you want to go bigger

+

i only say this bc i lost count of how many people end up

- buying furniture/houses/vehilces etc first and then find out they cant afford the tiers for the size of land they actual need to mount all they stuff they bought first

- rush out and buy a monster mainland and then after a week or so go: i actual dont want/need all this much land

+

is best to take the Linden Home to start with bc you already paid for it. even if you decide to rent from private estate later on. you stuck with the 512m tier anyways (unless you donate it to a group land elsewhere)

and go slow until you got a way better idea of what you want out of SL. and even more important how much you can afford to pay regular each month

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.