Sign in to follow this  
Orca Flotta

your thoughts on Singularity viewer

I was always a fangirl of Phoenix/Firestorm and loved it's rich features and stability. That said I wouldn't mind a "lighter" viewer which renders stuff faster. In Phoenix/FS I always feel a bit bloated, particularly since my connection isn't the best.

So right now I'm downloading Singularity but would like to know your opinions about it before I install it.

Good/bad?

Fast?

GUI?

Features?

Thx for talking me into/out of it. :matte-motes-kiss:

Good:
Lighter on resources,
Higher FPS-Rate and less stuttering on weaker systems,
No flashing effects when shaders are off on certain ATI-graphic cards.
Timed staggered rendering ( Nearby objects are rendered first )

Bad:
The GUI.
Pie-menus need too many clicks,
no address-bar for entering a location directly,
Selecting/switching outfits is cumbersome,
handling multiple attachments attached to a single point needs serious improvement.

Area search is seriously broken, as it is in most viewers - except the latest Firestorm (V 4.3.1).

Conclusion: Good for traveling / underpowered systems, but for serious creative work,
other viewers may offer a better deal.

( Remember giving every viewer its own Cache directory. If you have multiple Harddisks in your PC,
put the cache folder onto a the second disk instead on the system disk.)

Since every viewer creates its own application direcories, you can have multiple viewers installed without side effects.
My combination is currently: Firestorm, Singularity & the official viewer. I do recommend having the official viewer
installed as well, so you can check, if an undesired effect or problem shows with the official viewer too,
so you know then, where to file a trouble ticket.

Thx Jade and Princess, I forgot to mention in my post that I intend to use this viewer as an action viewer for sailing races and biking, and for laptop when we're travelling. So I don't care much about attachment points since I even wear less attachments than usual. As long as I have my V1 look and feel I'm a happy bunny. :smileyvery-happy:

Okay, gotta deliver some feedback:

WOW! I mean really WOW! Why didn't I try Singularity sooner? For an old inflexible **bleep** like me Singularity with it's V1.23 GUI was like coming home to the land of the sane again. Everything was right where I expected it to be, pretty unclustered screen and just the right amount of customizability. But even better is Singularity's performance, FPS went way up, everything renders much faster and my avie seems more bouncy too. Super responsive and everything.

My connection is slow and has high latency so I was used to wait a little when I hit the forward arrow before my avie started to walk. Not anymore. And I could up my usual DD of 128 to 256 meters and still have higher framerate than before.

I'm over he moon with this viewer.

• Like 1

Actually I think the "singurlarity Viewer for SL is quite wonderful. I had been using the Secondlife Viewer but it has always given me trouble with logging in and finaly just stopped working all together. After much failed attempts I have just gien up on it.

I myself do not have the money for a high end machine nor able to afford a internet connection. O I have tried Singurlarity and it works wonder full on my small laptop, barely crashes  and runs smoother than any other viewer I have ever used.

The only worry I have at the moment is the rumors of SL starting to stop 3rd party viewers. If this is so, I  would no longer be able to play second life due to there viewer not able to funtion with older machines.

Maybe they got it wrong and meant v1's. There'll always be third party viewers I think. They get created by folks outside LL. And, unless I'm wrong have never been "advised" by LL. Just that they acknowledged some as more reputable than others. The v1's eventually will break/not function when LL advances some stuff in the grid. Who knows when that will be? Dunno.

Muwakutauhu wrote:

The only worry I have at the moment is the rumors of SL starting to stop 3rd party viewers.

That is just a rumour, not the fact what is going on.  Don't believe the rumours.  Learn to search and find the facts.

What will happen is that Linden Lab is going to implement server side avatar baking system.  That will break all present viewers: Linden Lab viewers as well as third party viewers.  All viewers must be updated to be compatible with the new system to be able to render avatars correctly when the server side baking takes effect.  That system possibly will be in effect some time in February.

Cool VL viewer developer has stated in his forum that Cool VL viewer will be updated to be compatible with the server side avatar baking system.  The user interface in this viewer is V1 and generally it runs in slower machines better than V3 viewers do.  You might want to try this viewer to find out is it good for you. 

Because of this thread, I downloaded Singularity, and I'm logged in with it now. I also have an alt logged in with Phoenix, and I'm comparing the framerates. I have both set at low graphics, standing next to each other and facing the same way, and they are both running on the same computer, so they are comparable. I hadn't noticed it before but framerates change dramatically when the window (viewer) has and hasn't the focus. This is what I find...

With the focus, Singularity's FPS = ~122 fps and Phoenix's FPS = ~180 fps.

That's a huge difference. Phoenix has a much higher framerate than Singularity. I thought I'd post about it because of your "WOW" post which was about framerates.

With both set to high graphics, the difference isn't as great:-

Singularity = ~51 fps and Phoeniz ~61 fps.

Even so, Phoenix still produces a significantly higher framerate.

Having said all that, I don't think anyone needs framerates as high as those.

They are both about the same without the focus - ~20 fps.

Muwakutauhu wrote:

The only worry I have at the moment is the rumors of SL starting to stop 3rd party viewers. If this is so, I  would no longer be able to play second life due to there viewer not able to funtion with older machines.

what is not a rumour is that linden are going break their own version 1.23.5 viewer. they have also removed it already from the official download page. and they no longer official support it

but like others say Singularity and Cool VL are going to be updated by their TPV programmers/team. so you can use them if you want and still be able to login to SL on them

+

the Phoenix team have decide to stop updating their Phoenix viewer and just concentrate on Firestorm now

i read on Inara blog that one of the OpenSim teams are picking up the Phoenix code and are going to keep develop it exclusively for OpenSim. they going to rename it tho so they not muddle things up with Phoenix Firestorm team

bc Phoenix Firestorm team going to make 2 versions of Firestorm now. 1 for SL and 1 for OpenSim

Firestorm has always worked great for me, except for the last 2 updates enabling server side baking. Even with clean installs my lag meter is constantly maxed out and the lag is horrible. I have since switched to Singularity and have experienced no major performance issues. I'm hoping that future Firestorm updates will work better for me, but for now I'm sticking with Singularity. (I'm running a 64 bit quad core processor with a decent Nvidia graphics card).

How do you work the outfits folder, wearing the clothes?

In the chat box, when you stop chatting with somebody, how do you delete their name?

The above questions all have to do with singularity.

I'm afraid to touch buttons on here. I have been on youtube and I really get nothing.

Should I just play it safe and stay on Firestorm?

You know you're respponding to a three year old thread, don't you?

But anyway:

Ginger4Luv wrote:

How do you work the outfits folder, wearing the clothes?

As far as I know, Singularity doen't have the special Outfits menu option/window msot other viewers have. But that is jsut a shortcut to the "My Outfits" folder in the inventory anyway. SO to wear an outfit, open inventory, find the outfit there, right-click on folder and select "Replace Outfit". To create a enw outfit, look in the "Edit" menu.

Ginger4Luv wrote:

In the chat box, when you stop chatting with somebody, how do you delete their name?

Ummm, deleting somebody's name would be rude, wouldn't it? They may well need it for later ;)

Assuming you mean how to close an IM, there's an x at the top right corner of the chat window - just like all other viewers really.