Sign in to follow this  
Conaletta

Attaching HUD to others ?

Hi,

One of my other chars received a notecard and HUD from a group she is in,

and on the notecard it says a Master can attach this HUD to their slave and lock it in place

so the slave can't move or edit it.

This is a curiosity question, so it is not about what's good and what's wrong,

I only want to know how it is possible for someone to attach a HUD to another,

because I've never heard about this.

So, how is it possible to attach a HUD to someone else ?

Ah, I understand.

But, and sorry if I sound stupid, how does the Master access those scripts ?

(I can see the HUD from my POV* , but I can't see the HUD on my avi when I look at it).

* - It is a HUD attached to your view.

P.S.: Oh, or does he click my face to edit it ?

If you are wearing a relay, and you give me permission to take control of it, then I can use RLV to make you wear clothing and attachements (including HUDs), that you have put in the #RLV shared folder.  It is also possible using RLV,  to give you a folder (with a HUD or a collar or whatever)  that will go into the #RLV folder and automatically attach its contents to you.  But only after you have manually accepted the folder; even if your relay is on auto accept, you have to manually accept the folder that RLV is "forcing" on you.

So, there a several ways that you can put a HUD another person using RLV, but they all require the other person to give you permission.  And of course, you are always able to log in with the standard LL viewer, or with RLV disabled, and take off any such attachement, there is no way possible to permanently lock up an avatar.

Yeah,

I am quite aware of that last point.  :-)

I don't even know if I have a shared RLV folder, I never really noticed it.

Ah, so in the second scenario if I understand correctly my Master gives the HUD to me,

and then attaches it via the folder RLV options ?

If you have a folder called #RLV in the top level of your inventory (that is, not inside another folder) then your Master can normally access folders inside #RLV to make you wear or remove their contents.

He can also normally put things into the #RLV folder too, by script.  

So if you aren't aware you have a shared #RLV folder, you probably don't have one.

There's a long, but very useful, tutorial about it here: Marine's: Objects sharing tutorial.

One of the new "experience" tools should allow it, if and when they're ever completed and rolled out,  but they aren't available outside Linden Realms yet.  

Conaletta wrote:

Ah, I understand.

But, and sorry if I sound stupid, how does the Master access those scripts ?

(I can see the HUD from my POV* , but I can't see the HUD on my avi when I look at it).

* - It is a HUD attached to your view.

P.S.: Oh, or does he click my face to edit it ?

There's no way for anyone but the person wearing it to click on a HUD, but there are ways to access it.

The 'Master' can use a chat command (usually on a 'silent' channel) to trigger either a menu or individual functions on the slave HUD. The other option is for them to wear their own HUD (or other attachment) which communicates with the slave HUD to trigger it.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I understand that one of the new 'experience' tools allows this, but you still have to give permission to have it attach to you.  It is used in Linden Realms.

And it's a major PITA for RLV as it would allow for massive griefing attacks on anyone with RLV active in their viewer by forcing attachments on them that impose RLV restrictions without an active RLV relay.

Brilliant, isn't it, especially with most viewers defaulting to autoaccepting inventory offers?

Innula Zenovka wrote:

One of the new "experience" tools should allow it, if and when they're ever completed and rolled out,  but they aren't available outside Linden Realms yet.  

The blog i gave the link for said temporary attachments were released on the date of the blog, or 7-31-2012.  Did they withdrawal it?  If they did, I never heard of it.  Just curious.

I'm not sure what you are claiming is true as you do/will have to give permission. But if it is, then I doubt LL cares since RLV is a third party feature used by a minority and not LL's concern.  If RLV overrides all requirements for permissions, then that's the choice of the user and a chance they take voluntarily. I'm sure that people that developed the RLV though will update it to prevent that if it is true. If not or until then you can choose not to use it.

Do you have a link to a source for your assertion or reports of such incidents?  Again, just curious.

The function llAttachToAvatarTemp has been around for some months, but that requires the avatar to whom the item wants to attach to grant permissions each time, rather as you grant animation permissions to dance balls.

Experience Tools are rather different.   They envisage you granting permission once, on arrival in the region, and that will give allow all the items that have been scripted as part of that experience to animate you, attach things to you, teleport you,  and so on, without having to keep on asking each time.    So temp attachments are part of Experience Tools, but Experience Tools are a lot more.

Nothing has been heard about Experience Tools for several months now.   They were working on them, but everything went very quiet after llAttachToAvatarTemp and llTeleportAgent were released, and then Gez Linden, who was very much involved with it, left.    

Of course, they've been very focussed on pathfinding over recent months, so maybe they'll return their attentions to Experience Tools in the New Year.

ETA -- I know you were asking jwenting about RLV, but if I may chip in -- Marine Kelley, who makes RLV, explains her reservations in her blog here.   The matter is discussed at length in the RLV issue tracker,    For the reasons explained by Kitty Barnett, who makes RLVa, in this thread at SLU,  RLV and RLVa can't readily distinguish between regular attachments and those created by llAttachToAvatarTemp.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I'm not sure what you are claiming is true as you do/will have to give permission. But if it is, then I doubt LL cares since RLV is a third party feature used by a minority and not LL's concern.  If RLV overrides all requirements for permissions, then that's the choice of the user and a chance they take voluntarily. I'm sure that people that developed the RLV though will update it to prevent that if it is true. If not or until then you can choose not to use it.

Do you have a link to a source for your assertion or reports of such incidents?  Again, just curious.

What I describe is what Marine Kelley mentions on her blog as the potential result. And as of writing (around the time the API was announced) there was no known way to distinguish between such forced attachments and any that are attached deliberately.

I seriously doubt LL would look the other way as RLV is used by a large number of people, people with generally relatively deep pockets and willing to spend money (thus, people who're an important source of income for LL).

My Master and I haven't yet found out how to make it really work,

but I just noticed that it says use RLV and OC.

So I'm guessing OC = Open Collar and that he must put it in my collar menu.