Vortex Adult Sandbox - Griefing every day

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good day. I am a member of the Mentors Vortex Adult Sandbox group. Not a day that did not happen in this sandbox incidents orbit type, graphics card crash, permanent deformation, etc. Each day, we send the last two years one thousand reports of abuse, and nothing helps. Still the same people violate community standards and nothing happens. I know this is not a problem only for Vortex Adult Sandbox. I wonder how it will solve this problem ... :manfrustrated:

EDIT: nvm, its a public sim. Weird, because there are 4 more public adult sandbox sims right next to it.

But frankly... this is the nature of sandboxes, and the kind of community LLs prefers. Those are the people they wrongly feel are their core customer base.

Don't expect anything to be done about it - unless you AR repeatedly, and the linden who answers the AR might very well get fired for doing so if recent rumors are true...

I'd consider moving on, out of sandbox land.

• Like 1

Remember when you AR to be as specific as you can. Date, time, location, name of griefer, any chat logs or screen shots that might be relevant. LL won't trouble themselves with your complaint otherwise, but they will if you give all relevant information and behaviour is genuinely contrary to ToS.

Pete Rembranch wrote:

Remember when you AR to be as specific as you can. Date, time, location, name of griefer, any chat logs or screen shots that might be relevant. LL won't trouble themselves with your complaint otherwise, but they will if you give all relevant information and behaviour is genuinely contrary to ToS.

why, when people make a protest about griefers all time other players in the forums use the same excuse for wash the face to lindens labs in a report system thats is the excuse (LL wont truoble themselve yours complains, the lindens need check if the report is genuine, the lindens are busy in other most important problems and bla bla bla) thats is excuse for the bad service in this last time about report system. :matte-motes-angry:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

Pete Rembranch wrote:

why, when people make a protest about griefers all time other players in the forums use the same excuse for wash the face to lindens labs in a report system thats is the excuse
(LL wont truoble themselve yours complains, the lindens need check if the report is genuine, the lindens are busy in other most important problems and bla bla bla
) thats is excuse for the bad service in this last time about report system. :matte-motes-angry:

We aren't saying it is right, we are just stating how it is.

• Like 1

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

why, when people make a protest about griefers all time other players in the forums use the same excuse for wash the face to lindens labs in a report system thats is the excuse
(LL wont truoble themselve yours complains, the lindens need check if the report is genuine, the lindens are busy in other most important problems and bla bla bla
) thats is excuse for the bad service in this last time about report system. :matte-motes-angry:

In other words, quit accusing us of white washing.

That is not what we are doing.

I think I can say that all of us here agree that Linden Lab can do a better job.

But we also know that the more complete a report is the greater the chance it will get acted on. And that is what we want to see happen.  We want to see action.

So again, Ivan, please stop accusing us of something that is not true. OK?  Pretty Please.  Thanks.

Cerise wrote:

Those nearby adult sandboxes
Goyer/Teagano/Bricker/Colborne 
are premium only. Subscribing isn't free, but it does make the problem go away.

That's what it must be.  A conspiracy by Linden Lab to get us to sign up for Premium so we can access grief free Sand Boxes! ;)

Perrie Juran wrote:

IvanTwin Rogers wrote:

In other words, quit accusing us of white washing.

That is not what we are doing.

I think I can say that all of us here agree that Linden Lab can do a better job.

But we also know that the more complete a report is the greater the chance it will get acted on. And that is what we want to see happen.  We want to see action.

So again, Ivan, please stop accusing us of something that is not true. OK?  Pretty Please.  Thanks.

maybe you are not ,but i mean about other players here, i dont accuse yours ok , i doing nothing with yours, but when i say other players like wash face , thats is true, they like wash the face with clorox and soap. thats its is.

Vortex is a Linden Lab sandbox right?

Because if so sadly all you can do is file an abuse report, and sadly sometimse it takes Linden Lab hours to ban the griefer, and sometimes even if the griefer gets banned the sandbox is still filled with griefs until auto return or a bit longer depending on replication of objects and such.

Linden Lab, responds faster to griefers who target Private Estates, Than they do a public sandbox, so building in a private estate sandbox might be better as the ones I know of usually have moderators watching as well for griefers.

Pete Rembranch wrote:

I added everything possible and impossible. Times, location, types of weapons, screenshots, and even videos in high quality. Griefers are still active: (

From my experience from a time ago Linden Lab is TOTALLY ignoring reports related to griefers, even those who are committing repeated TOS violations  and have been reported by a lot of people for weeks they still login, griefing and laughing at your face...We know that it's hard for LL to handle this issue but evidently not taking ANY action against these people is not the best solution and things get worse.

Hello! Gina here! I worked with LL a LONG time ago, to help found and develop the Zindra Help Vortex. I still manage (as best as possible) the Vortex. along with a very professional and tolerant staff. The original plan was good, and was working. Here is what has happened since.....

Vortex was NEVER intended as just a 'sandbox' but more of a complete help center experience in line with a more sophisticated approach to Adult SL. (classes/workshops, mentors, contests, etc...an entire outreach effort to help the PR of Adult SL and Zindra)

The idea worked well in the beginning, but the Lab's community staff changed (vanished, mostly) and things have degenerated.

1. the land's name was changed to ' Vortex Adult Sandbox' which acted like a griefing magnet. Traffic increased immediately, but most of that new traffic was griefers! The Vortex staff opposed the name change vehemently, but the Lab's then-current community rep refused to hear our objections.

2. We had been in the process of getting the staff actual management abilities (return rights, eject rights, etc) but the same 'new rep' refused to let this happen. He, in fact, cut off all communication abt improvements.

This is where we are now. Severe damage has been done by the previous Community Team (and we all predicted it).Now we are TRYING to work with LL again to right the wrongs. Its beyond griefing now. Realize that Vortex is unique because we are talking abt the scary issue of underages coming into Adult land and the risks associated with that.

PLEASE understand.....the rhetoric of Vortex being 'just like other sandboxes' or 'LL not caring abt public land' isnt exactly true. Need a precedent for how this can work? Look at the Linden Endowmwnt For The Arts public sandbox. Its LL land managed by residents. All we are asking at Vortex is for policy CONSISTENCY at least. Now, I am no fan of the LEA (because of the way it is managed) but ralize the setup there exists, and there is no reason Vortex cannot have similar setup.

The precdent exists. Let's have good policy here that is consistent.

The situation is now risky at Vortex.

This is an opportunity to make things right.

1. Fix the land's name so we can begin marketing the Vortex properly again, and not attract kids.

2. Empower the Vortex management with actual abiulities so they can turn this around.

Here are the troubles:

1. Vortex Adult Sandbox is a scfript enabled Linden public sandbox which has all the plaguing troubles of a Linden Public sandbox which has scripts enabled.

2. There are fewer and fewer Linden public sandboxes that have scripts enabled, for obvious reasons.

3. There is a major boost in the number of "assault HUDS" full of nasty weapons in the marketplace which are priced for little or no money.

4. Teens can now access adult areas with complete ease, and do so.

5. LL is not disciplining troublemaking residents in the public sandboxes like they used to.

SOLUTIONS:

1. Turn off scripts in the sandbox, with exception to the landing zone area.  Make the landing zone area script enabled, but group rezzing/building only.

2. Make the sandbox "Payment info on file" access only so that visiting residents have some accountability for their actions.

Extreme circumstances require extreme measures, and after a month or so after the troublemakers have moved on to places they are free to assault others with thier cheap HUD attachments,  again re-allow scripts.

If anyone else has some productive suggestions to solve these problems please feel free to express them. Its not about pointing blame, its about solving extreme problems.

Edfred Jungsten wrote:

2. Make the sandbox "Payment info on file" access only so that visiting residents have some accountability for their actions.

All good points except for this one. You exclude too many people who are entirely innocent, who have for whatever reason never used their payment info. Also do you think that because a person has used their payment info it is going to stop them griefing?

I understand that requiring "payment info on file" to enter is a harsh measure. Is it any guarantee it will stop those residents from griefing? No. But what it does show is that those residents have investing in Second Life in some way, that a RL name is attached to that avatar, and it isn't just some disposable account.

1. Turn off scripts in the sandbox, with exception to the landing zone area.  Make the landing zone area script enabled, but group rezzing/building only. 

I wonder if there's a general policy thing here: maybe all Linden sandboxes that enable scripts should be payment-info-on-file only, and that no-script sandboxes can be for anybody. It's not that scripting should be discouraged--quite the opposite, IMHO--but really, finding a friend that welcomes you to script on their land should not be that much to ask. It's a social platform, after all.

But I'm curious about this idea of having just part of a sim be script-enabled. Of course that's possible with parcel settings, but might it be more prudent to turn off scripts at the region level, to keep them from running while attached with controls taken?

I know there used to be some scripted gadgets used in building, and perhaps they're popular with newbies, so that would be a concern. And of course setting prim properties like particles, texture animation, smooth rotation, etc., all common enough in builds--but some very common in griefing junk, too.

(I don't have any opinion one way or the other whether Vortex would be better PIOF+scripts or NPIOF/no-scripts, but it's interesting to see those combinations as alternatives.)

The scripts on in the landing zone option is to facilitate all the Vortex group info objects that are there, along with other things like contact staff boxes, etc....which require scripts to be activated. Vortex is supposed to be a place for the sharing of knowledge, seminars, etc and there needs to be a place to share information through scripted objects.

Okay, but if scripts are enabled anywhere on the sim, then there's not much point to disabling them anywhere else. At least not if the goal is to reduce intentional griefing.

[EDIT: That may be too strong, depending on what kind of griefing is actually going on. Disabling scripts at a parcel level would defeat lolcubes and other freestanding script-kiddie crap, but if the problem is '"assault HUDS" full of nasty weapons' then it wouldn't much help, except maybe for exceedingly lame, obsolete "weapons"--which, now that I consider the unsophistication of those scripts, I realize may be more relevant than not.]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.