"DNS can not resolve host name" Followed instructions about DNS change but still not working.

RoxieVentega

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Alright, I got the error, searched the technical questions, and followed to instructions given to others with this problem.

Instructions were from the following link: http://neilrobinson.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/a-fix-for-dns-errors/

I have Windows 7 so I had to use the second link to help me make the neccesary changes: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

I changed the settings on Internet Protocol 4 (Windows 7 seems so have two internet protocols, 4 and 6) but when I tried to change the settings on 6, it said "the network address entered is invalid" with both of the two listed servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220)

I tried to start my game, hoping that protocal wouldn't matter but the error popped up again.

So, I turned off that protocal hoping that using on protocal 4 would override that issue but I still keep getting the error message.

Help?

As I said, I have Windows 7. I am using a Lenovo laptop with intel core i5.

I am no computer pro so please try to dumb things down for me if the resolution is complicated "back door" coding or whatever.

Thank you and I hope this can help anyone else still having this issue.

- Edit -

I am in college and use the campus internet, therefore I can do nothing to change/unplug the modem. It's locked up somewhere on campus where students are not allowed to be. To be honest, I don't even know where on campus they modems are...

- Edit 2 -

Speedtest.net says my PING is 38ms, my download speed is 10.07Mbps, and my upload speed is 12.56Mbps.

Pingtest.net said the packet test failed, Ping 23ms, and Jitter 3ms.

I have no idea what any of that means but I figured it may help those of you who do.

5 answers to this question

If you are on a campus network, you won't be able to change your DNS settings.  Those are set by your college's IT department.  That pretty much leaves you without a solution, unless you can get someone in IT to help you resolve it.  Campuses and corporations are understandably cautious about letting people change settings --- like connecting to a different DNS server --- that could cause problems elsewhere in the system.  Google's public DNS servers are a good, safe option if they will let you use them, though.  All you can do is ask. 

• Like 1

If you are on a college campus network, or a corporate network, the IT department may have blocked some internet sites including some internet "games".

Your internet speed and ping times are fine, better than many home users. That is not the problem.

Have you tried taking your laptop to some other location with free internet available, and tried it there? That would at least tell if anything is set up wrong on the laptop. Be aware that Second Life may run poorly on a wireless connection, although it should at least connect.

I am on a campus network. I've also been having problems on World of Warcraft and have been told by their tech assistance to have my school open certain ports in the wifi service. Do you believe this may also solve my Second Life issue or will I HAVE to ask them to change the DNS settings as well?

It could be enough to simply open the ports. Here's what they need to know >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539#Section_.3 . You could either print that section out or just direct them to the page. The campus may already have Google's Public DNS servers in their list. It's a common enough set, and it's safe, so if opening the campus firewall doesn't solve the problem, that's your next request to them. Now, as a former university administrator, I should also add that some campuses simply don't want students playing on-line games on their campus network. The objection is two-fold: (1) You really ought to be studying and (2) online games take a lot of bandwidth, thus potentially slowing down the network for people who ARE studying. If that's your campus policy, you may want to suggest a revision. They might agree to open the bandwidth after, say, 10:00 p.m..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.