Alternative accounts

Evil Direwytch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

Alternative accounts (or "alts") are exactly like any other account. Some people have a main avatar, and several alts, and people have many different reasons for having alts.

I have my main avatar (Marigold Devin), and my secondary alt is this one (Echo Hermit), but I have various other alts that I have used for beta test group purposes, and also because I have sometimes roleplayed different characters in Second Life, and prefer to have different alts for different roleplays.

Everyone is officially allowed to have up to five avatars per household, and all can use the same email address, or they can have different email addresses.

• Like 1

Having an alt is like having a twin sister or brother in SL.  You can share things that have transfer perms, and you can be in world at the same time, to be two people.  My alt helps with testing things I make, like Echo's does, and she holds half of my cash. If I want to be work quietly in SL without being interrupted by friends, I come in world as her.  Strangely, she has a different personality too, so she visits different places and likes some different things in SL than I do.  I still can't figure that one out.

People (me included) use the term "alt account" all the time to refer to another account they might have (or to refer to another account someone else might have).  The term can be misleading to some......I believe you might be one of those people.  In the truest sense of the term (to my way of thinking......which might be the same as yours) "alt" implies that the account is actually the same account as the main account.  In SL that is not the case.  An "alt" account is a stand alone account all in itself..........it's exactly the same as two different people each having an account.  The accounts are not related to each other in any way except that a single person owns tthe accounts.  Linden Lab treats them completely separate with no ties to the accounts at all..  A minor distinction but an important one when it comes to things like "sharing" inventories (there are two inventories for a main and an alt.......not one like I first thought when I joined SL)  That is why you can only give transferable itmes to an alt (or main).....the inventories are separate, just like the accounts are separate.

The down side is griefers use that distinction to keep coming back when they are banned.  Both good and bad to the way LL treats accounts.

And Alternate account is simply another identity for the you behind the keyboard. Typically your FIRST account made is your main account -- at least as far as Linden Labs in concerned. In the old days you paid $9.95 to get your alt account "legal". Not that no longer exists.

While there was a 5 avatar per household rule at one time, the last time I read the TOS on alts it simply said a "reasonable number" so you should check that if you want an army of little yous running around. My take on the alt thing and talking to others with a number of alts is that the more premium members you have in your "family" (a good way to get free tier) the less likely the labs are to care about the number of "yous" running around. Legitimately some folks need a lot of different accounts just to keep their businesses and  volunteer practices straight.

If for example you have a shoe store, and you run a Relay for Life event each year and you organize hunts and you want to role play -- well it just makes sense to have different accounts for different purposes.

I have an alt who seldom gets out but she is handy for testing and she had lots of fun getting crystals over at the realms when she was young  -- and the realms were young too. She is no longer "new" now though and I am evidently a bad sister as I don't take her with me many places *wink*.

An alt is simply a term for any account that an individual may create after their first account. Sometimes what starts as an alt may even become a person's primary account, if they find they use the newer account more than the older one. There are possibly as many reasons for having multiple accounts as there are people who have them.

I have multiple accounts for many reasons:

• So my main account and her daughter and their maid and their castle guard can all be present at the same time, interacting with my guests (different roleplay accounts, all run by one person, but each with their own back story and personality, like characters in a story or movie). Over half of my alts are stricly for playing different roles in social interactions, such as being the son or daughter of one of my other accounts mated to a friend's account, without having to coordinate a third person to roleplay the younger family member. (The other person always knows that I have many accounts, and that the particular set that interact with them are all fictional roleplay characters. I'm not misleading anyone into thinking they have an exclusive relationship going with a real person.)
  • So I can test permissions on things I create, by giving the items to various accounts of mine that have differering permissions or capabilities in SL.
  • So I can test access controls for a parcel or a sim.
  • So I can have a 'mundane business account' for the few times that my real-life job has me doing things inside Second Life. The Corp I work for owns several sims in SL.
  • So I can have membership in more groups than my group limits allow - for example, one of my 'social alts' maintains memberships in club venues, but my 'content creator' account doesn't, leaving more group slots for managing client's estate issues, and less spam about dance contests while I am trying to build a sim for someone.
  • So I can have an account to be sociable with, that isn't getting spammed with product support questions from people who bought things I created and sold.
  • So I can have a content creator account that, when on-line, people know is happy to chit-chat with them about those same product support questions from people who bought things I created and sold.
  • So I can back up copy/transfer OK inventory items, by giving copies to an alt to keep in their inventory.
  • So I can have different accounts with avatars and accessories suitable to particular environments. For example, a strictly G-rated account suitable for attending activities in a child-avatar friendly sim, and a very separate account that may somettimes attend events that are XXX-rated, with suitable avatars, accessories and group memberships.
  • An alt to use as a photographer, to take in-world snapshots of my other characters from a specific position, using a pose ball to lock the protographer exactly where I want them.
  • Alts to use as fashion models, to wear the clothing that I created and sold at one time, for pictures in product advertising.

While I have never used bots for anything, alts are needed if you want to run a scripted agent to do anything in SL that requires avatar permissions, or that is intended to present a realistic avatar run by a scripted source - like a bot-driven bartender in a club venue, that moves around and responds to requests for drinks and chit-chat.

If you get premium memberships for several accounts that you own, you can have all of them join the same group and share their tier allocations. For example, if I had four Premuim accounts, they could own as much as 2,252 square meters of land (4 x 512, plus 10%, rounded down to the closest 4 M increment), and pay no monthly tier on it at all. If those four accounts routinely cash out most of the L$ that they get in weekly stipend, then the cost per year becomes pretty low. I'd initially tie up 4 times $72 for the annual dues, but I'd get 12,000 L$ back each week between the four accounts. You just need to make certain that the credit card that their Premium dues get billed to never gets over its credit limit and that you update the card info when the card expires and you get a new one. (Failing to pay dues on time can lose your land, and get your account banned.)

Exactly. If you believe that this is an error, submit a support ticket via the support portal. To help customer support determine what block has been placed and why, include in the ticket your Second Life account name and any Second Life accounts that log in from your location.

I contact ll for to reactive old acc but they told thats was right they hold it. Thats I broked rules and thats my other alternative acc will be permanently inactive. I asked on the ticket what will be happene but they don't ask anymore. My ticket is closed.idk or they banned only acc they was synchro whit thats acc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.