MP Double Purchases?

Shaodie Parx

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so I have had a LOT of instances in the past week or so where I receive an IM from a customer and they tell me that they accidentally purchased an item twice on the marketplace in the same order (Quantity 2)

So after quite a few of these I finally ask how on earth they managed to put the item into their cart twice. The responses are all pretty much the same, to quote the last girl "I have no clue, honestly, I clicked buy now on the marketplace and wasn't paying attention when I clicked to make the purchase and they had put two in my cart"

Usually when double purchases happen its because someones trying to purchase the item once for their friend as a gift and once for themselves in the same order (Which LL really needs to fix, because it sends them BOTH to the buyer)

Can we check to see if this is a problem with the marketplace please? Every time it happens and we refund the purchase price to the customer we loose not only the marketplace fees that we paid at the time of sale but we also lose any fees paid out in distributions. On this last order I lost 40L, Which isn't much in itself but its happened enough times now that im beginning to question if anyone else is seeing this too.

Luckily, I haven't had this happen yet.  Something you can tell the customer is that you can refund the amount you received (which is the price they paid minus the commission), but not the full amount, since you didn't receive that much.  Or you can give them the full amount and just consider the commission amount the "cost of doing business" and eat it yourself.  

The BEST solution of course, is for the commerce team to fix all the problems like this with their e-commerce software.  I'm not holding my breath though.

It has been a while, but in my experience the MP gives specific warnings that there are two or more of something in the cart; they always give you an opportunity to review your order. If people are given the opportunity to review an order, whether here or on Amazon or eBay, and do not take it, I don't think the website can be blamed. (There is plenty of other stuff it can be blamed for tho!)

Been happening for ages

Marcus Hancroft wrote:

Or you can give them the full amount and just consider the commission amount the "cost of doing business" and eat it yourself.  

FYI, if you submit a ticket, CTL will refund the 2nd commission.

(We really need a stickied FAQ for this and the handful of other regular questions here)

I've had this multiple purchase situation with only one of my items for years.  The item has copy perms but is the type of item one would buy multiples of if it was not copiable.  I'm talking probably, gosh...at least 50 times if not more over the last 4 years.

Interestingly, not one of the multiple purchasers ever contacted me; I got the multiple sales emails and contacted them, explaining the item was copiable and also refunded their money for the extras. (Didn't know about the CTL refunds...thanks Zanara!)  This was even prior to the shopping cart.  The answers I got were mainly:

1. The item didn't deliver immediately and I thought it was an Xstreet/MP glitch so I tried buying it again.

2.  I wasn't paying attention and clicked twice.  Was too embarrassed to contact you.

3.  I bought more than one??????

ETA:  After a lot of these multiple purchases....sometimes up to 6 of the item despite the item description clearly stating the item had copy permissions, (and again, didn't think of only refunding the amount paid minus the commission nor know that CTL would refund) I finally put a notice on the description that stated I would not refund for multiple purchases and gave some tips on how to make sure one doesn't buy something twice.  I stated all this politely at the end of the item description.

Interestingly, after I put that notice on, I didn't have any more multiple purchases.  The customer was losing money by purchasing more than one item, so they weren't gaining anything....but...how could people not see within the description that an item is copiable, but did see a notice at the end?

After a couple years of no more multiple purchases I took the notice off.  I've had a couple mulitple purchases of the item since then but nothing like before.

Pamela Galli wrote:

It has been a while, but in my experience the MP gives specific warnings that there are two or more of something in the cart; they always give you an opportunity to review your order. If people are given the opportunity to review an order, whether here or on Amazon or eBay, and do not take it, I don't think the website can be blamed. (There is plenty of other stuff it can be blamed for tho!)

LL removed the warning :(

The two buttons that get folks into trouble are "Add to Cart" and "Buy Now". When they click the top button "Add to Cart" they are expecting the "normal" behavior of going to the Cart Summary page and then being able to go back to shop more. Instead it just increments the little counter at the top right of the page next to the tiny shopping cart icon. Otherwise nothing really noticeable happens.

So thinking that nothing happened, they click the "Buy Now" button and THAT takes them to the cart summary page. But now they're frustrated that their first click "didn't do anything" .. so they just slam through to finish the purchase and only later discover they've purchased two of the same item.

It's a combination of basic human engineering and the fact that the Marketplace does not follow "Industry Norms" when it comes to Shopping Cart behavior. Every other eShopping site I'm aware of takes you to the Shopping Cart summary page when you add an item to it. The Marketplace .. does not.

While there are a number of serious glitches that drive everyone nuts, it's the subtle UI Design issues like this that plague the site and that really add to people's perception that it's generally borked.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3217 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.