Suggestion: MOTD option upon opening group chats

Leslea Aldrin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a group owner, I am wondering if you would implement a MOTD option for groups. The way it would work is that the group owner (or??) could add a MOTD (optional) for group members to see upon opening the group chat. For example: a brief schedule of the day. Notices do not reach everyone in a group when the group is large, and this would reach everyone who opened the group chat. Having run other chat clients for 15 years, I know that this could be quite simple to add, but could also be cumbersome, so limiting the number of characters would be reasonable. (wish list: potential to link the MOTD to a google calendar for hourly updates :)

Thank you,

Leslea Aldrin

I have no idea what a MOTD option is, but from what you wrote I get that it is some sort of ability to post more information in group chat other than actual chat.

I really don't think that most groups need this,  It is simple enough to set up a Google calendar and send a link out if your group really needs that. Group members can also buy gadgets in SL to display the calendars on their screen in world.  Personally I get enough trash and spam from groups and the last thing I need is more dings and IM popups to distract me.

Even if it were the next best thing to sliced bread, LL should concentrate on fixing problems that have existed for years instead of adding more gee wiz new features.

MOTD = Message Of The Day. It's a long-held standard on IRC and some other chat services. SL has one (which LL or TPV developers can set) when you log in.

My presumption would be that it would work similarly to a Busy auto-response. People who start a group IM would be greeted with the message in some kind of unshared manner. For example "Please keep your messages courteous and friendly" or "Remember that our sim is having a party starting at Xam/pm SLT", visible prior to sending a group IM.

It's not compatible with the current implementation of groups; LL (under Rod) have implied that they will be looking at the group system, but as yet nothing has been announced. I would say that this feature is unlikely - even unnecessary - since it's likely that group notices will become more visible instead.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.