Research on why people play Second Life

caligirl07

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How long have you been playing second life?

Since Nov. 2009

2. How often do you play second life?

every day

3. Why did you begin playing second life?

To keep my English up

4. What do you gain from second life that you can’t get from reality?

Let me specify that I role play in a community. For me role playing allows me to be whoever I want to be, experience other sides of myself and elicts feelings I cannot let out in RL and it all in a safe context. Why safe? First of all  because there cannot be any physical damage, then because consequences deriving from a wrong actions do not impact directly on your RL - i.e.: you won't be prosecuted if you kill someone in SL :matte-motes-wink:- and finally because if drama is straining you too far then you can always sign out or close your account. In RL you have to face the consequences of your actions and you cannot just run away or hide.

• 4 months later...

Why I play SL?

Recently I injured my knee over football. So I had to stay home and off work for a week. I couldnt walk much. So I registered SL and played. This is my Day2 in SL. I found a nice cottage for me to stay in and its so beautiful. I have a friend from Brazil and we communicated when we are in SL. Its like i am in another world that allow me to do anything and everything. Thats why I play SL.

• 4 years later...
On 11/26/2012 at 12:50 PM, caligirl07 said:

Hey all,

I am writing a research paper on why people play Second Life and what they feel they obtain from playing Second Life. I  began to play Second Life this week to help me research but I wanted the input of people who play Second Life on a daily basis. 

I am researching the different reasons people play online virtual worlds, specifically Second Life and I would greatly appreciate your opinion!

The questions I am asking are:

1. How long have you been playing second life?

I think I joined in the summer of 2017.

I only visit here occasionally because I get curious. I am not a Second Life regular, so I am more of a visitor. I do not remember when I joined 2nd life because I go on here about a few times a year.

I got curious about Second Life since I've been hearing about its advertisements sometimes 10 years ago. When I first heard about it, I did go on the site, but I never made an account because I was too little and uninterested in it. Last year, I joined because my curiosity grew too strong that I wanted to explore the virtual world and see for myself.

In Second Life, I only look around and travelled in historical places in Second Life that I couldn't afford to go in real life due to the prices of plane tickets.

Only reply to this message if you feel comfortable with me using your answers and username in my paper; as you respond to this blog, please state that you give me permission to use or quote you in my research paper, thanks!. I greatly appreciate everyone's input and answers! Thanks! 

I give you permission to use or quote me in your research paper.

On 11/26/2012 at 7:50 PM, caligirl07 said:

Hey all,

I am writing a research paper on why people play Second Life and what they feel they obtain from playing Second Life. I  began to play Second Life this week to help me research but I wanted the input of people who play Second Life on a daily basis. 

I am researching the different reasons people play online virtual worlds, specifically Second Life and I would greatly appreciate your opinion!

The questions I am asking are:

1. How long have you been playing second life?

Only reply to this message if you feel comfortable with me using your answers and username in my paper; as you respond to this blog, please state that you give me permission to use or quote you in my research paper, thanks!. I greatly appreciae everyone's input and answers! Thanks! 

1. How long have you been playing second life?                                                12 years

2. How often do you play second life?                                                                 Most days.

3. Why did you begin playing second life?                                                          I found SL by accident and enjoyed it enough to stay.

4. What do you gain from second life that you can’t get from reality?                I can't build a club or go to alternative music events every day in real life! 

Edited by Conifer Dada

(1) Look at the cost of land in the different regions.  Adult-rated land costs about 12 times as much as Moderate-rated land.  General-rated land costs about 5 times (check that, please) as Moderate-rated land.  (Note: some "toys" in SL are apparently disabled outside of Adult-rated land.)

(2) There's a book ("Tell Me What You Want: The Science of Sexual Desire and How It Can Help You Improve Your Sex Life" by Jason Lehmiller, 2018) that (among other conclusions) avers that we fantasize about what we CAN'T have in real life.  It could be argued that SL allows the enactment of those fantasies.

4 hours ago, OthirMan said:

(Note: some "toys" in SL are apparently disabled outside of Adult-rated land.)

A parcel, any parcel, can disable allowing various things, but that is not specific to the parcel being non-Adult.  Best I know, nothing about non-Adult land could "disable" anything, but some things are most definitely against the TOS outside of Adult land.

Scripts can determine the maturity rating of the sim on which they're running* so in theory they could punt if they don't like what they see.

I don't recall seeing an actual instance of this, but it would be easy to do.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1983 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.