Create an object from script

xigaro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to create an object from script, without the object being in the script parent object's inventory? Ideally I'd like to rez a cube from script without having to place a cube inside.

I discovered llGodLikeRezObject() but I assume only Lindens have God powers.

Is anything like that possible?

Thanks!

No.  You can rez an object from inventory or you can manipulate in-world bjects that are appropriately scripted, but you cannot create an object out of thin air with a script.  Even llGodLikeRezObject, which is a Linden-only function, needs a UUID (which raises the interesting question of where a Linden gets the UUID of a non-rezzed object .... ). 

It's a start, and fine for rezzing just a cube (although some prim would still need to be in the rezzing object's inventory).  For more general application, though, the linked code seems to be for individual prims (I don't find llCreateLink on the page), and even for individual prims, it predates sculpties. And, of course, we still have no way of replicating--or even getting--slice parameters for boxes and cylinders, grr.

With Mesh, of course, there's no way to do anything remotely like this. Good for protecting IP, I suppose, but another way Mesh cripples scripting.

Qie Niangao wrote:

It's a start, and fine for rezzing just a cube (although some prim would still need to be in the rezzing object's inventory).  For more general application, though, the linked code seems to be for individual prims (I don't find llCreateLink on the page), and even for individual prims, it predates sculpties.
And, of course, we still have no way of replicating--or even getting--slice parameters for boxes and cylinders, grr.

With Mesh, of course, there's no way to do anything remotely like this. Good for protecting IP, I suppose, but another way Mesh cripples scripting.

You may have looked away for a brief moment, here it is: PRIM_SLICE

:smileysurprised::):smileyvery-happy:

The PrimControl hud rezzes a "standard" object containing a script, primset,  and then sends it messages to configure itself.

Most prim properties can be set,  including type and all its arguments,  color and texture, particles, light, and keyframed motion.

The entire project is open-source.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/LSL-Scripting/Free-primcontrol-HUD-Easy-Keyframe-Animation-Easy-Prim-Torture/td-p/1092569

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.