Sign in to follow this  
Jessa Alberti

Looking for media options for rentals

I currently offer rentals of skyboxes and platforms and would like to put a media option in each home, radio would be great...tv / radio combo would be awesome. Looking for something that will allow each resident to make their own music choices but have been surfing mp for hours now under different searches and am coming up flat. I don't mind investing in something of quality if it works as promised but not willing to buy several that don't work to find the one that does. Any suggestions?

Jessa Alberti wrote:

Looking for something that will allow each resident to make their own music choices...

You need to split your land up into parcels. That's the only way, no way around it.

Not sure that is the only way but thank you for your reply. I've rented on sims before where i didn't have a parcel but had options for my own music. I just don't remember which systems they used as it was some time ago. I remember having neighbors that had tvs that you only heard within a certain range.

Edited because I've been staring at a screen for far too long today lol

There's only one media (ETA: and one music) stream on a parcel at one time.

Resident A is spending a quiet evening at home with her partner listening to Muzak as they engage in rough pixel sex.

Resident B logs in, decides he wants to listen to Billboard's top 200. Ooops.

Resident C TPs back from a club and can't wait to listen to his favorite Rap station.

Now, nobody is happy.

I had such a system in use for a while. It played music and video on the tenants video stream and allowed for several streams to work at once on one parcel. How this work technically I am not sure but it worked as I have used it for a while. But it also had issues and had to be reset sometimes. Also explaining to people that they had to use video stream rather then music stream got a bit tiresome as many didn't or wouldn't understand :)

Anyway I see the product I use has been discontinued on the marketplace but I will send you a forum message with info about creator and a more detailed description on how it worked.

You need shared media.  It is a relatively new technology that allows streaming independent of parcel streaming.  The only caveat is that your skyboxes must be far enough apart so that one tenant cannot hear another.  There are shared media players available on MP.  You can also make your own, but your tenants would need to know URLs etc.  The first link in this post is an article that explains it.

A shared media player is basically the same as you make yourself but is scripted to include some URLs and access control.  I recommend you go to see the players in world before buying to be sure it meets your needs.  Some TV's are a combination of both traditional tv and shared media and those need to be deeded to the group for all the feature to work.  If in doubt contact the creator to be sure it will work for your rentals prior to  purchase.

Hello Jessi,

We have a solution for your need : The NHC Media for Skyboxes.

The NHC Media Center works for Skyboxes, Apartments and Houses, even they are sharing the same parcel because it does not use the media URL of the parcel and it does not use "shared media" too, working for all Webkit Viewers.

Unlike all the others systems in its categorie, it does not require a new viewer to play videos because it does not require the "shared media". The system sends the command media directly in private mode to all residents inside its range and the range is adjustable using the receiver's menu. It does not use shared media, it does not the media URL of the land.

The media system works for all Webkit Viewers like Phoenix, Imprudence, Singularity, etc, a newest viewer like Firestorm or SL v3 is not required.

If you want a solution that will work for all, this is your best option.

Prims required for each unit : 5 Prims.

For better information or demo, contact in-World.

Obs.: Do not buy the default system in marketplace, because they are for parcels ;)

Regards;
Sylvio Runo