Sign in to follow this  
Pazzo Pestana

Surrounded by dead sims, unable to TP

Nov 21 & 22 have been the most frustrating days of my long SL:  logged on Wed. morning, gazed around my parcel and couldn't see the usual beautiful scenery of surrounding islands in Sailors Cove. I decided to explore and found myself locked in by dead sims randomly distributed. Others in the area had no problems navigating (sailing and boating is a prime activity in the community near Blake Sea). I could TP to some places but not to others. Thursday morning, I was confronted by the same situation. I tried 3 different viewers on 3 different computers with the same results.  Connection speed seemed OK: 14 mbps down, 1mbp up. FPS in SL 40s & 50s, no packet loss, 40ms ping, lag meter all green. At the end of the day no improvement.

One suggestion regarded the WAN to which I was connected since 2 avis standing together had completely different experiences. No mention in the grid status report. No idea if anybody else has been similarly affected.

I hope this is the proper forum to find out and perhaps get some answers.

Thanks

Hi Pazzo, have you spoken to Fanci yet? Sailors Cove is an estate and she restarts the sims quite often. It's unusual that they are offline longer than a few minutes.

Anyway if you need to move out of this limbo, just log out and log into another location.

You said you could TP to some places but not others.  I'm wondering if those places you can TP to are G rated sims and if the sim you are apparently stuck on is also G rated.  It sounds like you are not 18 years old and because of that you are restricted to G rated areas..........I'm not saying that is the case, I'm saying that is what it sounds like from your discription of the problem.  Check your preferences to see if you might have accidentally checked the "I want to visit" options to only include G sims instead of G, M, (and maybe A).  Or something might have happened to cause the the choices to change (like maybe a crash recently).  If you were able to access M and A sims before there is no reason you should not be able to do so now unless something changed.  You might try a clean install of the viewer of choice........uninstall each viewer you have installed on your system and after you've uninstalled all of them do a complete computer search for anything Second Life or SL and manually delete the files found (if you want to save any chat logs save them with a different name before you delete those files).  Don't save any preference settings though (you'll have to re-do those after you've deleted them).  Then download and install the viewer your prefer to use (but install one) and try SL again.  If that fixes the problem then you can download and install other viewers if you want (but move the caches for the other viewers to a different location on your computer......a second drive or partition is ideal).

That's about all I can think of........if that doesn't work then a support ticket is in order.  It's unlikely but it could be a server issue for your account.

@Peggy

I don't think Pazzo is the only one with the problem.  I reported several offline sims on the 22nd, so I am sure there were more.  Your suggestions are all logical and Pazzo probably does have a network issue, but in this case it also seems to have been a rash of downed sims.  I'm not saying that it was a concerted campaign of griefing but the timing is suspicious.  I gather that if you were on one of the affected sims, once you got in again you were severely hampered in TP.

One sim in particular had also sustained quite a bit of damage to its building textures as well.

One thing I must add.  The team at Linden Lab were very quick to restart those sims they had access to, though action didn't happen until after 7:30am Pacific.

thank you Ayesha, Peggy, and Orca! I considered the first suggestions but they didn't seem to solve the dilemma, although I was inspired to clean my system of all viewers and reinstall Firestorm.  It may have made a slight improvement but I think the insight provided by Ayesha was the correct one ... wait until LL had gotten control of their servers.  Griefing hadn't occurred to me but it makes sense.

I did go to the local library and logged on to SL and found some improvement but I just returned and logged on through my usual connection and the situation seems to have cleared up 100%. I knew I wasn't the only one affected because I hung out in the eastern arm of Blake Sea (Norwegian, Baltic, Yellow, Black, Aegean) and saw aircraft stuck at the boundaries of dead sims.

It would be nice if LL could provide some warning so that events aren't canceled without knowing why.

thanks, again, for the responses!

What ever the problem was, I'm glad it's all good now........hope it stays that way.  :)

And, I would like to thank you for the update on your issue.  Almost no one does that which leaves everyone wondering what the problem was and how it was fixed (though it does seem to have "corrected" itself......which, in a way, does give some insight to what the original problem was.  In this case, it seems it was LL's issue).

I just ead in another thread that there was indeed a problem with sims that wouldn't come up again during restart. The last few days were terrible in SL, LL having a really bad network problem. So we should just be patient I guess.