Sign in to follow this  
Fenix Eldritch

How to prevent a seated avatar from adding to vehicle's physics shape?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm working on a small vehicle combat game... literally, the vehicles are tiny - often smaller than the avatar that will be riding on them. Said avatar will be folded up, have no attachments and will be wearing an alpha skin to hide it from view. My concern is what about the physical representation of the seated avatar. I've done a basic test (sitting on a physical sphere) and have confirmed that the avatar's physics shape is added to a link set's. This presents a problem for my project due to the reduced scale at which the game will operate.

Even with the sit target of each vehicle moved to the center of the object, it is very likely that the avatar will be bulging out of it. I can think of two problems this will raise:

1. weapons fire that would normally miss the vehicle might register a hit on the avatar instead.
  2. maneuvering the vehicle through a tight space may cause it to get caught on the avatar's physical representation - when the vehicle itself would normally be able to squeeze through.

Is there any way for me to have the avatar's natural collision box not contribute to vehicle's physics shape?

Never tried it, but since (like you say) avatars are treated as linked prims, wouldn't it be possible to toggle the physics shape of the avatar by script using a function like llSetLinkPrimitiveParams -> integer PRIM_PHYSICS=NONE?

@OP

Maybe you could ask in the scripting forum.

I initially thought I could do something like that, but the wiki had a note on the llSetLinkPrimitiveParams pages saying PRIM_PHYSICS_SHAPE_NONE doesn't work for seated avatars... and trying it inworld predictably produces an error  :(

Thanks for the response though. I'll try my luck over in the scripting forum... Is there a way to request a moderator move this topic? Or should I just make a new one there?

Too bad, I was afraid of that. The thought just crossed my mind.

You could start a new topic, but if functions like these don't work on seated avatars, I'm afraid the scripters can't help you either. Never hurts to try though.

Hi :)

Have alook at this:  http://kcp.wikidot.com/wiki:vehiclebuilding101

I haven't quite got my head around this : "If you make your own animations, you want the hip height of the animation to be at ground sit height or even lower. -2.0m is usually perfect." maybe something else in the section Animation Bounding Box will make sence to u . 

The actual avatars could be flying around far above or below the action (vary the altitude enough to avoid them colliding with each other),  with the camera position at or near where the vehicle is.    They can be below ground level.

llSitTarget only has a range of 300 meters,  but llSetLinkPrimitiveParams can move a seated avatar over 1000 meters away.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.