Viewer crashing upon uploading an image.

Nella Drillon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My SL view crashes upon uploading an image into SL. I make clothes.. and this is very annoying. I have done research and found that others have a similar issue. I do not have MS skydrive installed. I have cleared my cauche, uninstall, and reinstalled SL. Still crashes. This is a recent problem, yesterday I was able to upload images just fine with no problems. I've done nothing different to my PC in the last two days. The files have no special characters and there is only 4 files in the folder. Any other ideas?

I've been having the same problem in Linux. I finally managed to install Funtoo properly and I thought I was the one messing everything up.

I get the crash in Firestorm, official viewer, official dev, and official beta viewer. Does anyone else know anything about this? I'd roll back to an older version of Second Life but I have a really, really good feeling that there's not a lot of people archiving old Linux versions.

Nella, if you can find an older version of Second Life, try installing that. If we're both having the same problem and we're on completely diffferent operating systems, it's probably something wrong with the viewer.

Hi,

Try opening your viewer as Administrator . (for windows users).  I saw this suggestion posted someplace recently.

It seemed to work for me...the one time i tried it.

Also...My experience has been it only does this on the first download.... After relogging ...the next and all following downloads did not do this again.

I have seen the same issue in OPEN SIM/ OS grid sometimes.

BTW..i use older sl viewer with cool view added.

I dont have or use MS skydrive.

You're aware of the fact that that everything older than the official LL Viewer 3.2.4 is not able to connect to sl anymore, are you?

Supported LL viewers

Funtoo is not the easiest linux distro to install, maybe you forgot to compile some libraries?

I have been running SL ( official and throd party viewers) for years under debian based Linux distros, right now I run Linux Mint 14 i64 bit and I don'tr crash when I upload or download images, neither on the latest Ll V3.4 nor on my preferred Singularity 1.7.2 64 bit viewer.

J.

Hello avatars.

I had the same problem with uploading. As soon as I click Upload, my SL crashes.

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Yes, I also installed Windows Live Messenger and whatever else you've all mentioned.

However, I didn't have to unstall anything.

Try the following: Go to your shortcut icon. Right click it, Go to Properties. Click Compatibility tab. Under Compatibility mode, put checkmark in the box Run this Program in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I also checked box for Run this Program as an Administrator.

Good luck. This worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

dd Temin wrote:

Hi,

Try opening your viewer as Administrator . (for windows users).  I saw this suggestion posted someplace recently.

It seemed to work for me...the one time i tried it.

Also...My experience has been it only does this on the first download.... After relogging ...the next and all following downloads did not do this again.

I have seen the same issue in OPEN SIM/ OS grid sometimes.

BTW..i use older sl viewer with cool view added.

I dont have or use MS skydrive.

Just so I can go on the record as saying it, that's a terrible idea. Nothing should have administrative execution permissions unless they absolutely need them. I don't trust any open source software that far, and definitely no non-commerial non-OS products. It's safe 99% of the time, but the one time source checking due diligence fails that means the application can do anything to your machine it wants to.

Summer Siemens wrote:

Try the following: Go to your shortcut icon. Right click it, Go to Properties. Click Compatibility tab. Under Compatibility mode, put checkmark in the box Run this Program in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3). I also checked box for Run this Program as an Administrator.

That worked for me too, that's strange. Shouldn't Second Life fix this problem? How many other people are going around without a profile picture?

Carbine wrote:

I've been having the same problem too, I have a brand new computer and it happens on it as well as my old computer. It's not me that's the problem, it's Second Life.

That's a blunt statement. I can tell you not everyone, that includes me, has this problem. If I drew my conclusions as fast as you do, I would say it can't be SL. I'm running Win7 Pro SP1 btw.

Carbine wrote:

Summer Siemens wrote:

That worked for me too, that's strange. Shouldn't Second Life fix this problem? How many other people are going around without a profile picture?

Maybe Linden Lab would be able to fix this problem if it was possible.  If everyone had identical systems, with identical RAM, identical operating systems, etc., etc., then it could be addressed.

Not everyone is having this problem.  I run Second Life on a machine with Windows Vista SP2, Phoenix, Firestorm, Viewer 3 all work absolutely fine, no problems with uploads at all.  I also have laptop, Windows 8 operating system, skydrive installed, and can upload photos with no problems at all.

What I am saying is, how do you expect Linden Lab to fix this for all, when by reproducing the problem for some and fixing it for those, it may throw things out for other residents, ie cause more problems than it cures.

Only way we can remedy situations like this one, is to get our heads together on the forums and advise each other what works for our individual systems.

I believe a lot of the LL employees run SL on Macs and work with Linux also, and they do try to repro problems as they arise in the Jiras.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

thank you your blog fixed my problems.  i was having upload and download crashes and it stopped when i uninstalled skydrive.  idk wtf that is but it helped ty ^^

was having issues wid every viewer that i installed and i did clean install on all of them

skydrive is baaaaaad :(  what is it btw?

• 1 year later...

The problem of viewer crashing when you upload an image, as caused by a conflict with Skydrive is supposed to have been resolved in more recent viewers.  I don't know, because I switched to Google drive and no longer use  skydrive.  If you are having viewer crashes when you upload an image:

SE

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.