The Revenge of The Nerds

Porky Gorky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4145 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read an interesting article on the BBC website 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20325517

It discusses words like geek and nerd and how they have shifted from having a negative connotation to a positive connotation over the last 20 years.

Seeing as you are all just a big bunch of geeks, I thought you would like to know that you are now officially cool!

Congratulations. :matte-motes-big-grin:

It's easy enough to have something like the BBC say that Nerds and Geeks are cool, but try saying that to non-nerdy types.

For example:

I was watching an episode of Big Bang Theory last night with my wife (who is not geeky, by the way) and they mentioned the Tardis. She had no idea what it was and asked me about it. As soon as I went through the briefest explaination of what it was, she exhaled deeply and said "You are SUCH a geek.".

So, it's easy for us to say these sort of things, but we have to convince the rest of the world that we're not all weird outcasts of society.

Tex Monday wrote:

It's easy enough to have something like the BBC say that Nerds and Geeks are cool, but try saying that to non-nerdy types.

For example:

I was watching an episode of Big Bang Theory last night with my wife (who is not geeky, by the way) and they mentioned the Tardis. She had no idea what it was and asked me about it. As soon as I went through the briefest explaination of what it was, she exhaled deeply and said "You are SUCH a geek.".

So, it's easy for
us
to say these sort of things, but we have to convince the rest of the world that we're not all weird outcasts of society.

You wife does not know what a TARDIS is?

To quote the great Sheldon Cooper, exactly what do the two of you talk about after the coitus? :matte-motes-nerdy:

Woohoo!!!

urkel.jpg

- The new 2013 icon for the male fashionistas to follow. :P

On the other hand...

I've heard mention of a contrary study noting that the popular kids in middle and high school over a life time end up much more "economically" successful. As (my guess) a lot of the geeky kids don't seek spiritual or familial paths to happyness - that would imply that save for the ones who make it IPO-wealthy, they're still worse off: 0/3 while the popular kids still mostly dominate 1/3.

Tex Monday wrote:

For example:

So, it's easy for
us
to say these sort of things, but we have to convince the rest of the world that we're not all weird outcasts of society.

Tex Monday wrote:

While there has been a video shown since your post, featuring a woman who just makes you want to reach out and grab her, I still suspect you enjoyed the comment you quoted.

When a female says to a male, "You are SUCH a xxxxx", where xxxxx can be practically anything not positively offensive, the intended response is a large increase of sappiness on the part of the male. You know: goofy smile, warm feeling, that sort of thing. I'd bet it worked.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

While there has been a video shown since your post, featuring a woman who just makes you want to reach out and grab her, I still suspect you enjoyed the comment you quoted.

When a female says to a male, "You are SUCH a xxxxx", where xxxxx can be practically anything not positively offensive, the intended response is a large increase of sappiness on the part of the male. You know: goofy smile, warm feeling, that sort of thing. I'd bet it worked.

First, let me thank you for telling me how awful that video was...that's 16 minutes of my life saved...

Well, after the explaination I shook my head and told her it was her fault for asking in the first place.

She's often called me a geek and I don't care..and I suspect, she doesn't either.

Tex Monday wrote:

First, let me thank you for telling me how awful that video was...that's 16 minutes of my life saved...

Oh, I phrased that wrong. I meant the opposite of the meaning you took but I can see how it could read that way. I thought she was a delight. I meant 'reach out and grab her and take her home'.

Did finally watch the video...entertaining. I am impressed that she could construct something that complex....the only thing I ever get when I construct anything is a build up in my stress levels....:matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

Got called a geek again with a different topic on the same show. I think the solution is simple...watch the show by myself..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4145 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.