How To Start Building Bows? (Weapons)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone!

I'm an amateur scripter, but recently decided to try my hand in building. More specifically bows; compound, crossbows, etc. and I honestly don't know where to start looking. I bought 3DS Max/Maya (2012) to force myself to try my hardest to take building seriously, and would like some advice from some of you seasoned builders.

If there are any weapon specific libraries or learning resources where I could learn specifics in regards to weapons and bows, that would be very much appreciated as well. I would like some ideas on how some of you go about building bows/weapons specifically, though, so that I have a better understanding of the ups and downs and 'habits' to get into.

Thank you very much. :manvery-happy:

You bought both Max and Maya?  They're US$3500 each.  I certainly hope a $7000 expenditure would, as you put it, "force you to take building seriously."  I'd hate to think you won't stick with it, and you just threw that amount of money out the window.  (If that's pocket change to you, throw some of it my way!)

May I ask why you got both?  Most people use one the other.  It's pretty rare that one would have cause to use both. 

Of course, some professionals do use both, so they can get more work.  If you get hired by a studio that is tightly dependent on a Maya-centric pipeline, for example, and you only know Max, or vice versa, you might not be able to do the job in the way they need.  If you're doing that kind of work, it behooves you to know both programs intimately.  If that's your goal, fantastic.  I'd suggest you pick one to start with, though.  Use it for at least six months, and then begin the other.  Trying to learn both at once, from scratch, is nearly impossible.

In any case, as for your question about making bows and arrows, I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone when they're just starting out.  Beginning with "I want to know how to make _______" in mind is always the wrong way to go, no matter what the blank happens to be.  The way to learn 3D modeling is to learn 3D modeling, period.  Once you've got a handle on the basics, you then apply that knowledge to whatever it is you want to make, be it a bow and arrow, or anything else.

Forget all about whatever it is you think you want to know right now.  You don't yet know enough even to know what it is you don't know, let alone what you need to know.

If you decide to go with Maya, follow the tutorials in the "Learning Maya' section of the help file.  That's how every Maya user starts out.  There's no better way.  Maya has the best included help of any program on this planet.  So, go through all of the tutorials, in order.  Don't skip any.  Once you've been through them, you'll have a solid understanding of the basics of how the program works. From there, practice, practice, practice.

Once you've mastered the basics, you'll be capable of modeling a bow quite well.  A bow, even a complicated one, is a relatively simplistic form, after all.  There's not much to it.  If you try to do it too soon, though, before you've been through the tutorials, you're in for a world of frustration.  So, let the knowledge build the way it's supposed to.  As I so often say, don't put the cart before the horese.  Do it in the right order, and it'll just flow.

As for Max, the same principle applies.  (It applies to all of them.)  Learn the basics of the program first, and then apply that knowledge to whatever you want to make.  Digital Tutors has a free beginner video tutorial series, which will get you on your way.  Again, go through all the lessons, in order.  Don't skip any.  Once you've been through them, you'll be able to make that bow, or whatever else you might want to do.

Bottom line, there's no need to for a "weapon specific library or tutorial".  Once you know how to model, you know how to model, and you can make whatever you want.

Like Maya apparantly does, 3ds max has excellent "official" tutorials. They are updated and archived every year.

Autodesk 3ds Max Services & Support

I can't really add to anything Chosen said, just go through at least one entire set of them to get yourself familiar with all the functions and tools before you start building one specific type of object.

Also try and find other places to make some money with the software you got, unless this is all an expensive hobby. US$7000 is about 1.7 million lindens, you'll probably have a hard time making that much any time soon building items for SL.

How did you manage to buy a 2012 version of both programs anyway? Just curious.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.